• CaptainHandsome
    CaptainHandsome Posts: 127 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
  • cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Or you think you may be in a life or death situation where your grip strength on a bar will be the difference.
    You can easily be in a life-or-death situation where grip strength will make a difference.

Hence the phrase "Hanging on for dear life..."

If your grip strength is the limiting factor then build your grip.
    If you cannot deadlift a given weight properly and with good form for the correct sets and reps because your grip is failing then you cannot deadlift the weight.

It is like claiming you can "squat 300 lbs" but you drop down maybe 1/4 of the way and your form is crap the whole time.
    Your failure to properly squat 300 lbs will not impress anyone who knows what they are doing and sees you looking like a fool.

Straps will just accentuate the weakness.
    Drop your deadlift weight by whatever amount is necessary (probably 50 lbs or more), slow down your reps, and do the work.
    Stop letting your ego write checks your butt can't cash.

Guideline: Drop the weight by enough that you can double your current rep range for at least the first set.
    Work in a higher rep range for a while (say 12 weeks) to build endurance or make sure your tempo is about twice as long.
    The "tendon strength" necessary for a good grip builds more slowly than the various muscles they are connecting to.

Rushing for higher poundages than you are actually able to handle systemically is probably one of the reasons your "grip strength" is lagging behind.

Straps will make the problem worse, not better.
    Straps should only be used for specific training programs or if you have a medical need for them (i.e. paralysis, missing fingers, etc.)
  • Rammer123
    Rammer123 Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    cqbkaju wrote: »
    Or you think you may be in a life or death situation where your grip strength on a bar will be the difference.
    You can easily be in a life-or-death situation where grip strength will make a difference.

Hence the phrase "Hanging on for dear life..."

If your grip strength is the limiting factor then build your grip.
    If you cannot deadlift a given weight properly and with good form for the correct sets and reps because your grip is failing then you cannot deadlift the weight.

It is like claiming you can "squat 300 lbs" but you drop down maybe 1/4 of the way and your form is crap the whole time.
    Your failure to properly squat 300 lbs will not impress anyone who knows what they are doing and sees you looking like a fool.

Straps will just accentuate the weakness.
    Drop your deadlift weight by whatever amount is necessary (probably 50 lbs or more), slow down your reps, and do the work.
    Stop letting your ego write checks your butt can't cash.

Guideline: Drop the weight by enough that you can double your current rep range for at least the first set.
    Work in a higher rep range for a while (say 12 weeks) to build endurance or make sure your tempo is about twice as long.
    The "tendon strength" necessary for a good grip builds more slowly than the various muscles they are connecting to.

Rushing for higher poundages than you are actually able to handle systemically is probably one of the reasons your "grip strength" is lagging behind.

Straps will make the problem worse, not better.
    Straps should only be used for specific training programs or if you have a medical need for them (i.e. paralysis, missing fingers, etc.)

I can think of a lot more life or death situations where hip extension is more important than grip strength.

I am not against improving grip strength at all. If you are an athlete, and you are starting to lift, and you're able to lift certain weight already and the only thing holding you back is the grip strength, I don't see a need to drop the weight in order to build your grip strength.

You can continue to build grip strength and also use straps to build your deadlift.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Nothing wrong w/using straps.

Deadlifting is NOT a life and death situation and unless you're a rock climber hanging from a ledge by your finger tips, you'll NEVER be in a life or death situation where your grip strength will matter.

Nothing wrong w/developing grip strength and it should be an objective but the primary purpose of doing deadlifts is NOT to increase your grip strength.

The primary purpose of the deadlift is to increase the strength of the muscles in your glutes, quads, back and core that are activated when you do the lift.

If using straps will help you deadlift more weight, then just use them until you develop enough grip strength so that you can do w/o them.
  • Rammer123
    Rammer123 Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »

Deadlifting is NOT a life and death situation and unless you're a rock climber hanging from a ledge by your finger tips, you'll NEVER be in a life or death situation where your grip strength will matter.

Nothing wrong w/developing grip strength and it should be an objective but the primary purpose of doing deadlifts is NOT to increase your grip strength.

The primary purpose of the deadlift is to increase the strength of the muscles in your glutes, quads, back and core that are activated when you do the lift.

If using straps will help you deadlift more weight, then just use them until you develop enough grio strength so that you can do w/o them.

I agree, and I will most definitely regret using straps if I am ever in a situation where I am hanging for dear life and my grip begins to weaken.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options

i actually wouldn't say "never" People are called into action all the time and grip strength matters, i know i've been in situations in my life where grip strength (mine and also the strong men around) has played a huge role in the safety of everyone.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    People are called to action and grip strength matters. i know i've been in situations in my life where grip strength (mine and also the strong men around) has played a huge role in the safety of everyone.

Bravo but such situations are extremely rare.

Few people are ever involved in life threatening situations, unless they are 1st responders, involved in search & rescue or are in the military and stationed in war or armed conflict zones.

FWIW, I was an LEO for 11 years. Worked in the jails w/high risk inmates and never had to use my grip strength to save or take on anyone.

Mainly relied on the grey matter between my ears and only needed enough grip strength to hold a pen, a can of pepper spray, a pair of handcuffs or a gun (which I only used at the range).

So, while your experience is admirable, the argument that one needs sufficient grip strength in order to be prepared to save a life, really is irrelevant to the choice of whether to use straps to deadlift or not.

BTW, I did NOT say that grip strength doesn't matter at all but it certainly doesn't matter enough to quibble or obsess about whether to use straps to deadlift or not.

If you need them, use them. If you don't, don't. Simple as that.

• SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    People are called to action and grip strength matters. i know i've been in situations in my life where grip strength (mine and also the strong men around) has played a huge role in the safety of everyone.

So, while your experience is admirable, the argument that one needs sufficient grip strength in order to be prepared to save a life, really is irrelevant to the choice of whether to use straps to deadlift or not.

what about non life threatening things like opening a jar of pickles? that happens every single day. Its really nice to not have to ask for help to open a jar. Grip strength is a great strength to have. Deadlifts are a full body workout, that includes grip. Unless someone has some physical disability, there isn't really any reason their grip strength can't be up to par to hold onto the weight on the bar that their legs can lift.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    you'll NEVER be in a life or death situation where your grip strength will matter.

unless you need to strangle someone.

#feeling frivolous. sorry, carry on.

• firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I'm working hard on my grip strength (hypermobile so it's pretty *kitten*), but I'm still going to use my grippas so I can lift heavy until it catches up. I've been doing farmer's walks, hanging from a bar and this thing where I kind of wind a weighted rope round a wooden pole, it's slowly but steadily improving but once I get to 80kg or so I feel it stops me getting my full reps in.

Oh and I've just started doing my accessory deads gloveless with chalk to help further improve my grip.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    firef1y72 wrote: »
    I'm working hard on my grip strength (hypermobile so it's pretty *kitten*), but I'm still going to use my grippas so I can lift heavy until it catches up. I've been doing farmer's walks, hanging from a bar and this thing where I kind of wind a weighted rope round a wooden pole, it's slowly but steadily improving but once I get to 80kg or so I feel it stops me getting my full reps in.

Oh and I've just started doing my accessory deads gloveless with chalk to help further improve my grip.

Get some Theraputty and play with it while you're sitting doing other activities that leave your hands free...
  • curlsintherack
    curlsintherack Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    chalk will help and straps will help but first you need to actively take some time and strengthen your grip. farmers walks and trap bar deadlifts are great for improving your grip. I personally bought a fat bar from Titan.fitness for around $40 and I really like it. perhaps the most cost effective way is just hanging from things for as long as you can. It doesn't have to be a pullup bar anything you can hang on door frames, tree limbs, and even playground equipment(I like the monkey bars) will help.

In my deadlift workout I go as long as I can before I break out the chalk then I go very light with it. I also go as heavy as I can with a double overhand grip and only switch to a mixed grip on my heaviest sets if I think I have to. As a word pf caution I'd save your grip work for the very last thing you do on a day where you have a couple of rest days. Deadlifting 255lbs on a fat bar double overhand for reps means nothing in life if you can't open a jar of spaghetti sauce.