I weigh 335 & my calories per day are 1770

Options
I weigh 335 & my calorie goal is 1770 a day..but since I exersize they give me extra calories that I burned so if I use those will I still lose weight & if so about how much a week? I walk every night between 1-2 miles.

Replies

• EloquentSelfLoathing
    EloquentSelfLoathing Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I tend to lose more if I don't have the extra calories from exercise, plus mfp is really bad for working out exercise calories - usually it's wildly overestimated
  • KevHex
    KevHex Posts: 256 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I tend to lose more if I don't have the extra calories from exercise, plus mfp is really bad for working out exercise calories - usually it's wildly overestimated

I am the same, I've got MFP set to lose 2lbs a week and I am set as sedentary and do not eat back any calories that my Garmin watch sends over to MFP. I'm losing at a little faster than 2lbs a week but I'm only 30 days in to this life change and still have over 65lbs to lose. The loss will slow down at some point and I will need to change my weekly weight loss target when I get within 25lbs of target (I think??).
  • silvervega
    silvervega Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I weigh 335 & my calorie goal is 1770 a day..but since I exercise they give me extra calories that I burned so if I use those will I still lose weight & if so about how much a week? I walk every night between 1-2 miles.

Yes, you can eat some of those back, but not all. for me works eating %50 back from calculated extra calories. I'm 285 now my daily goal at 2 lbs per week it's set to 1700 as sedentary since I use Fitbit and let it add any extra calories. (if you use Fitbit eat 50% or 40% of those earned calories back). I was eating all my calories back and slowed me down a little but still managed to lose 1 lbs a week.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,072 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    silvervega wrote: »
    I weigh 335 & my calorie goal is 1770 a day..but since I exercise they give me extra calories that I burned so if I use those will I still lose weight & if so about how much a week? I walk every night between 1-2 miles.

Yes, you can eat some of those back, but not all. for me works eating %50 back from calculated extra calories. I'm 285 now my daily goal at 2 lbs per week it's set to 1700 as sedentary since I use Fitbit and let it add any extra calories. (if you use Fitbit eat 50% or 40% of those earned calories back). I was eating all my calories back and slowed me down a little but still managed to lose 1 lbs a week.

You can eat them all back if you're accurately tracking them, I eat all of my calorie adjustment from my Garmin Watch back and I have been losing at my intended rate of loss for 6 months (32lbs down so far), many others also do. It's fairly easy to determine accuracy from your results over a 4 week period. Fitbits can vary in accuracy from person-to-person and from model-to-model. So what works for you may not work for others.
  • silvervega
    silvervega Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    silvervega wrote: »

You can eat them all back if you're accurately tracking them, I eat all of my calorie adjustment from my Garmin Watch back and I have been losing at my intended rate of loss for 6 months (32lbs down so far), many others also do. It's fairly easy to determine accuracy from your results over a 4 week period. Fitbits can vary in accuracy from person-to-person and from model-to-model. So what works for you may not work for others.

Well that's true reason I pointed out that it worked for me xD. Fitbit seems to overestimate walking calories for me. I researched a little about fitbit and most recommendations were eating 50% of those back. . I noticed the discrepancy when started waking to hit 10k steps. Other than that the elliptical and weight cals were fine. 95 lbs lost xD
  • yvie63
    yvie63 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I found I had better results if I did not eat back all my exercise calories. I was where you are 3 years ago and lost 120lbs (gained half back unfortunately due to greed and laziness lol) I question how accurate the exercise calories really are too, maybe eat 25% back or less if you are having a 'hungry' day but 1770 was fine for me and I lost about 2lbs a week on that. The calories will gradually be adjusted down by MFP as you lose weight.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    what works for you may not work for others.

THAT^^. Always.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,727 Member
    Options

Be careful to understand that "losing more" is not necessarily a good thing! You can only burn so much fat before the body turns to other sources as well. Losing more than 2 pounds per week long-term is not in most people's best interests because of the potential loss of lean body mass. I would assume your goal in losing weight is not just a number, but also health. In weight loss, slow and steady really does win the race.

That's true, but at 335, and 1%, 3 pounds a week is not an altogether dangerous goal.

Contrariwise, Meeting nutrient(macro and micro) goals with diet alone is challenging. Eating 2000ish calories a day with moderate(1-3 miles a day walking) activity could very easily meet that goal
  • ShaDucky
    ShaDucky Posts: 67 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Im at a close weight and similar calorie goal. My exercise cals are a buffer, some days i am hungry and need them, other days I barely get to the cal goal. I use map my run to log exercise and have it set to a much lower weight to reduce the overestimation of calories. So yesterday I did 35min of elliptical 3.5 miles and it was like 250cals given. At my actual weight it calculates over 700 cals burned.

So far since mid may I have lost 18lbs so something is working. And I dont feel as much on a "diet" as I did when I tried last summer. I felt so restricted that I really struggled to stay on board. So from aug to the end of jan I only lost 20lbs.

You just gotta find what works for you mentally and physically!
  • erienneb66
    erienneb66 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I wonder if you're much shorter than me because i, as a 6' tall female who started at 328 and currently is 318, eat 2400 calories a day and I've lost 3lbs a week foe 3 weeks. I'm sure it'll taper off but hey I'm happy. I don't log my workouts yet because in the past I over rewarded myself with food for workouts and I need to be in a better space with habits before I start doing that again.

To compensate I just set my activity to lightly active, 1.5lb deficit a week, and go.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Sounds low for your current weight ...remember you will have to keep reducing your calories in as your size reduces.
    Eat 50% of your exercise calories back, that'll account for MFP over estimating burns.

• Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options

Be careful to understand that "losing more" is not necessarily a good thing! You can only burn so much fat before the body turns to other sources as well. Losing more than 2 pounds per week long-term is not in most people's best interests because of the potential loss of lean body mass. I would assume your goal in losing weight is not just a number, but also health. In weight loss, slow and steady really does win the race.

That's true, but at 335, and 1%, 3 pounds a week is not an altogether dangerous goal.

Contrariwise, Meeting nutrient(macro and micro) goals with diet alone is challenging. Eating 2000ish calories a day with moderate(1-3 miles a day walking) activity could very easily meet that goal

I agree with this. The general idea though is all over these threads. In this specific case, yeah 3 pounds a week shouldn't be an issue at all. But many people use that same idea of not eating back because they 'tend to lose more'. I should have been more clear that I was talking about the concept, not the specific situation.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,727 Member
    Options

I agree with this. The general idea though is all over these threads. In this specific case, yeah 3 pounds a week shouldn't be an issue at all. But many people use that same idea of not eating back because they 'tend to lose more'. I should have been more clear that I was talking about the concept, not the specific situation.

The reality is that as you become more active, there's a sweet spot where feeding your activity yields more energy and activity than less...

Which was why I rounded the OPs calories up to 2K... even though the 1700 calorie number has some headroom at her current weight.

It is much more desirable to find that sweet spot early on in the weightloss journey.