lose fat or build muscle

Options
Hi
I'm not sure what I should b doing really.
I am 65kg, 163cm tall and not sure if I need to lose weight or gain muscle. I do have muscle just can't see the definition very well. I also have cellulite which is the main reason I don't know if I need to lose weight. Legs and tummy mainly lower stomach are problem areas to me

Replies

• edlanglais
    edlanglais Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I would do a mix of cardio and weight training. It's actually what I do myself.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    It's not possible to "either/or" the fat and the muscle. If you attempt to lose fat, you will lose some muscle. If you attempt to gain muscle, you will gain some fat. If you lift progressively heavy, you can lose fat and keep most of the muscle. Follow that with lifting progressively heavy while gaining and you'll gain more muscle and fat. Then go back to losing weight while lifting progressively heavy and on and on with that bulk/cut cycle until you've built the muscular body you want. It takes time but you have to start somewhere.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    It's not possible to "either/or" the fat and the muscle. If you attempt to lose fat, you will lose some muscle. If you attempt to gain muscle, you will gain some fat. If you lift progressively heavy, you can lose fat and keep most of the muscle. Follow that with lifting progressively heavy while gaining and you'll gain more muscle and fat. Then go back to losing weight while lifting progressively heavy and on and on with that bulk/cut cycle until you've built the muscular body you want. It takes time but you have to start somewhere.

Not necessarily. If the OP is new to lifting, they will definitely primed to be able to gain some or at the very least maintain their muscle while cutting fat, pending they aren't overly aggressive, have a solid progressive overload lifting program and adequate protein.

OP, what are your goals? Do you just want to lean out?
  • imtrying22
    imtrying22 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    My goals are to be fit, I want a strong looking body but not too muscular, I'm young and healthy, I just want to feel confident!
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Ultimately it comes down to your opinion on how you look now!

If you look skinny and lean then bulk.
    If you have some excess fat then cut.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    imtrying22 wrote: »
    My goals are to be fit, I want a strong looking body but not too muscular, I'm young and healthy, I just want to feel confident!

You can always cut a little weight. I'd recommend either a lifting routine or body resistance routine. This will influence your body to help maintain muscle while cutting fat (see routines here - StrongCurves is the favorite of women) . I'd put protein around 120g.

Overall, you could probably cut between 10-20lbs. Just keep monitoring your progress until you see a body you like. You won't really look muscular since you aren't a male. But if you want, don't cut sub 20% body fat if you want to prevent a lot of definition from coming through.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I agree with eating at a small deficit with doing some form of resistance or weight training. Keep protein higher as psulemon mentioned. You will retain the muscle you have and lower your bodyfat.

Cellulite is mostly genetic even at low bodyfat many women have it. Weight training has helped but I have it too despite how lean I get.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Strength train & eat a slight deficit. Wait 8 weeks or so & evaluate your progress. Adjust as needed.
    Also, try to forget about the cellulite as said, it's highly genetic