Do you think it's harder to lose weight when your older ?

Options
I was just wondering what everyone thinks about this . Do you think it is harder to lose weight when your older . I am 52 years old , and I think it is real hard now . I use to could lose it faster than this . I wish I could come up with an exercise that I would enjoy doing everyday . I hate to exercise . Can anyone tell me about some that would be more enjoyable to me .?

Replies

• emmaNEEDSskinny
    Options
    because your metabolism slows as you age? :)
  • FaithHopeTrust
    FaithHopeTrust Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    because your metabolism slows as you age? :)
    this.
    the metabolism slows down as you get older!
  • corpus_validum
    corpus_validum Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Yes it's harder to lose weight as you get older. Your metabolism slows down as you age.

You don't necessarily need to exercise to lose weight, and it's far easier to lose weight by controlling caloric intake vs exercising. 1lb of fat is approx 3,500 calories. It's easier to reduce intake by that much than it is to exercise that much off.

But exercising will improve your fitness level and, depending upon intensity level, can boost up your metabolism.
  • BethGorton
    BethGorton Posts: 38
    Options
    My mother is around the same age as you and does pilates which she really enjoys. She also does Zumba which she absolutely LOVES
  • LolasEpicJourney
    LolasEpicJourney Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    It definately is!!!
    Your metabolism slows down
    Thats why kookie kids a and whacky teens tend to be thinner and even in your 20s you can start to put on weight!!!!
  • corpus_validum
    corpus_validum Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I hate to exercise . Can anyone tell me about some that would be more enjoyable to me .?

Is there any physical activity that you enjoy that raises your heart rate (e.g. xxx)? Do it more often.:bigsmile:
  • ScoutMom1
    ScoutMom1 Posts: 57
    Options
    Yes definitely is harder for me. I'm still trying to make myself exercise as well...right now, walking is the only thing I can muster. My doc did tell me after 40 it is just as important to get in some weight training as it is cardio because (especially women) start losing muscle mass with every passing year and more than likely fat is going to replace that muscle that we lose. You might want to check into a walking program to start, you don't have to start big...baby steps sometimes works best to acclimate yourself to it and then work up your time and pace week by week. Hope that helps! :)
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    My doctor told me to focus more on gaining muscle than losing weight as we age... he says it's harder to put on muscle as we age, and that is one of the things that keeps us healthier longer (more fit, more active, etc.). I am only 37, but I believe this might apply to you, too. To this end, I am adding circuit training/ light weights to my exercise a day or two a week to help build muscle.
    I agree with pp that it is more down to diet than it is to exercise as you age.....
  • dianerenem
    dianerenem Posts: 14
    Options
    it's harder for me, but I am anorexic (no longer practicing, obviously) and it has done some horrible things to my body. my body will give up weight for a few pounds, then come to a screeching halt, then give up a few more ... and well, the cycle is infuriating!

I have a friend who can lose 40 pounds in a matter of months and has no issues with it. her weight yoyos, but she says it's because she only loses the weight for summer and then doesn't care about what she eats for the rest of the year.
  • SusanMcAvoy
    SusanMcAvoy Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Hello!! You sound just like me. I am 54 and yes it is much harder to lose weight at this age. Our metabolisms have slowed down and it was very discouraging to me at first. Like you, I have always lost weight fairly easy but this time it has taken me a lot longer to see results. However it is possible. It has taken me over three months but I have finally lost 24 pounds. So it can be done. I hate to exercise too. It is my least favorite thing.... I found a great low impact DVD and I try to do it at least 4 times per week. I walk with Leslie Sansone. It works and because of her I managed to lose the weight. She's energetic, and fun and you'll see results. She has many different DVD's. Start with a beginner session. Start out doing 1 mile. It will go by fast. You'll be amazed!! You can find her DVD's on Amazon.com. I wish you the best of luck. If you are new to MFP and would like another friend for incentive feel free to add me. This site is amzing and if you stick with it, it will work. Ciao for now!
  • koahope
    koahope Posts: 15
    Options
    YES! I am finding the same problem as I am getting closer to 50. I also have trouble finding exercise I 'like' or can tolerate. But, I do like watching TV & sitting and I found a recumbant bike is small enough to put in my living room and I sit on it every night and watch my favorite programs on TV. On days when I hurt more, I peddle slower, and when I'm feeling more energtic I peddle faster. Either way I get my heartrate up and burn the calories.
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,740 Member
    Options
    I am 50, and I haven't found it to be hard. I spent about 30 years being overweight, and a couple of years ago, I decided enough was enough and it was time to lose it. The only reason it was ever hard before was that I wasn't consistent.
  • tobybear
    tobybear Posts: 109
    Options
    I am 57 and I know how hard it is. I do walking with Leslie Sansone and you are suppose to use a stretchie band but mine tore in half so I had one of those rubber bands that you stand on and tone up with instead and that works. I feel it in my arms. I am hoping I can keep it up and lose the weight I need to.
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I never had to lose weight when I was younger so I can't answer the question directly.

My weight loss experience turned out well.

http://cbeinfo.net/weight.htm

Until last year, the last time I exercised regularly was 1987. In December 2010, I decided that "round" actually is a shape but it's not what they mean when they say "get in shape". I started working out on an elliptical, have lost almost 100 pounds, and am training for a half marathon in August and a marathon in December. The changes in my weight and in my physical and emotional health have been stunning. I have added years to my life and every aspect of my life has improved.

With the 73 pounds that you want to lose maybe it's time to change what you ought to move exercise from the "dislike" to the "like" column?
  • jsc4him
    jsc4him Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I am 40 and it is harder! In the past all I had to do was watch what I ate and the weight came off. Now I have to work at it! But that's OK, it's worth it! :happy:
  • ivansmomma
    ivansmomma Posts: 500
    Options
    I will be blessed to be 60 next month, and it is definitely harder. I do like Leslie Sansone and have started back on the Wii Fit and Wii Sports. I try to do strength training (with the Wii mostly) as my doctor said this was really good to do as well. There are also some meds that will slow you down. As long as your clothes are starting to feel looser, and you are eating more healthy, that's the good signs that your lifestyle is improving. Take care.
  • catlady100
    catlady100 Posts: 154
    Options
    I've always had to work hard at it. When I was younger I had more free time to exercise, did only cardio, and could somehow get by on a lower calorie intake, so the weight did come off faster
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    I even noticed it's harder in my 30's that when I was younger.

As far as exercise, it's actually good to have a variety. My favorite thing is to check on Netflix (or go to the library) and find fitness videos I've never done before and try them out for a week. It's free (if you already have netflix, or at the library). I also try to do some sort of resistance (lifting, yoga, pilates, etc) a couple of times a week.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Your metabolism does NOT automatically slow with age. It slows with age if you've been inactive, as you've lost muscle mass. If you've been active, it shouldn't be that much different than it was when you were younger as you haven't lost much muscle mass.

But if you have been inactive for a long time, yes, it is more difficult. You should be focusing on adding some strength training to your plan to preserve the muscle mass that remains and eventually to increase it. If you're female, you should also be interested in strength training to ward off osteoporosis as long as possible.
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,740 Member
    Options
    Your metabolism does NOT automatically slow with age. It slows with age if you've been inactive, as you've lost muscle mass. If you've been active, it shouldn't be that much different than it was when you were younger as you haven't lost much muscle mass.

But if you have been inactive for a long time, yes, it is more difficult. You should be focusing on adding some strength training to your plan to preserve the muscle mass that remains and eventually to increase it. If you're female, you should also be interested in strength training to ward off osteoporosis as long as possible.
    I agree. I may have been overweight for 30 years, but I worked out that entire time, so it makes sense that once I buckled down with the eating part, I was finally successful at getting and keeping the weight off.