liftorgohome Posts: 25,455 Member
    Options
    Squats, lunges, cardio.
  • lotusvonlovely
    lotusvonlovely Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    tjkita wrote: »
    Squats, lunges, cardio.

Even when I was skinny (but not in shape) and 120 lbs. I still had it. I'm 154 lbs. currently and I do tons of cardio and try to target this area each day I exercise (4-5 days a week), yet there's been no progress.

Do you think once I lose more weight it'll get better?
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    Squats, lunges, cardio.

Even when I was skinny (but not in shape) and 120 lbs. I still had it. I'm 154 lbs. currently and I do tons of cardio and try to target this area each day I exercise (4-5 days a week), yet there's been no progress.

Looks to me like it's just where your body stores fat, and if you still have it at lower weights then it's likely to be one of the last places for it to go. Everyone is a little different this way - mine stays right below my navel and on my chest even at a sub-20 BMI - and unfortunately, you just have to drop your body fat percentage low enough for it to go, whether that's through weight loss or a recomp or whatever. Up to you whether it's worth it or if it's practicable.

Luckily, with this area, it looks like you could probably have great luck camouflaging it if you built up the glutes and thigh muscles
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Lower your body fat and work on heavy hip thrusts, squats, glute bridges, step ups, etc.
  • lotusvonlovely
    Options
    peleroja wrote: »
    Squats, lunges, cardio.

Looks to me like it's just where your body stores fat, and if you still have it at lower weights then it's likely to be one of the last places for it to go. Everyone is a little different this way - mine stays right below my navel and on my chest even at a sub-20 BMI - and unfortunately, you just have to drop your body fat percentage low enough for it to go, whether that's through weight loss or a recomp or whatever. Up to you whether it's worth it or if it's practicable.

Luckily, with this area, it looks like you could probably have great luck camouflaging it if you built up the glutes and thigh muscles

I try to focus on legs and glutes just as much as abs and arms. It just seems like this is the most difficult thing for me to target. Hopefully as I lose weight it'll go away. I wasn't technically in shape when I was thinner, I never worked out. So maybe that's why it was there at a lower weight.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    peleroja wrote: »
    Squats, lunges, cardio.

I try to focus on legs and glutes just as much as abs and arms. It just seems like this is the most difficult thing for me to target. Hopefully as I lose weight it'll go away. I wasn't technically in shape when I was thinner, I never worked out. So maybe that's why it was there at a lower weight.

Lower weight and not working out probably means your body fat percentage wasn't especially low, so you might indeed have better luck with losing it this time around.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Lower your body fat...lift heavy things and put them down to help with body composition.
  • lotusvonlovely
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    I store fat in the same area and it is the last to come off. Continue to eat at a deficit, follow a lifting program (especially lower body) and have patience. I would focus on lifting vs cardio though to preserve what muscle you do have and improve the appearance.

If you still get down in weight and you are still not happy... (Which is what I was/am dealing with).. it can help to build up the muscle in that area either by recomping or bulking. It is a lot of work though. I have spent two bulk cycles building up my hammies and glutes and it looks...better-ish. Still not happy though. It's a pain in the butt ;)

I'm following a FITT/HIIT workout plan that rotates between high intensity cardio and resistance/strength building so I can both lose weight and build muscle. I'm only 3 months into this plan and I do have days I slack on due to work and kids, so hopefully with time it changes. It's one of the things I dislike most, so of course it'd be the hardest thing for me to get rid of, lol. I just wasn't sure if I was doing the right type of exercises for that area but so far it seems like I am, I just need to give it time.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    It's genetic. Lower body fat and building up the butt may make it better, but prepare for the possibility that they may not completely disappear.
  • liftorgohome
    liftorgohome Posts: 25,455 Member
    Options
    Squats, lunges, cardio.

Yes but also working with weights will help to shape it. Squats, lunges, kettle ball, etc. Someone posted a thread with video's to show how to do this.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    I store fat in the same area and it is the last to come off. Continue to eat at a deficit, follow a lifting program (especially lower body) and have patience. I would focus on lifting vs cardio though to preserve what muscle you do have and improve the appearance.

If you still get down in weight and you are still not happy... (Which is what I was/am dealing with).. it can help to build up the muscle in that area either by recomping or bulking. It is a lot of work though. I have spent two bulk cycles building up my hammies and glutes and it looks...better-ish. Still not happy though. It's a pain in the butt ;)

I'm following a FITT/HIIT workout plan that rotates between high intensity cardio and resistance/strength building so I can both lose weight and build muscle. I'm only 3 months into this plan and I do have days I slack on due to work and kids, so hopefully with time it changes. It's one of the things I dislike most, so of course it'd be the hardest thing for me to get rid of, lol. I just wasn't sure if I was doing the right type of exercises for that area but so far it seems like I am, I just need to give it time.

What kind of strength/resistance work are you doing? Make sure you are progressing over time and not using the same weight. Also make sure you are doing your hip thrusts, glute bridges, squats, deadlifts, lunges, kettlebell swings, cable pull throughs, abductions, kickbacks etc.
  • Sunna_W
    Sunna_W Posts: 744 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Donkey kicks and side kicks done really slowly along with changing body composition. Have you thought about changing your macros? 45% protein; 40% fat; 15% carbs/sugar. However - your butt looks fine IMO.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    When your body fat is lower this will probably go away.
  • sardelsa
    Options
    Sunna_W wrote: »
    Donkey kicks and side kicks done really slowly along with changing body composition. Have you thought about changing your macros? 45% protein; 40% fat; 15% carbs/sugar. However - your butt looks fine IMO.

What difference would that make exactly? Perhaps it could help OP get into deficit if she is having issues with carb moderation or has a medical issue, otherwise I don't see the benefit.
  • sardelsa
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    When your body fat is lower this will probably go away.

How low to go? By the time mine go away I would probably have to be <15% or under.. which is not my goal. Sigh :/
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options
    I don't see a double butt but we all have those pesky parts we hate. I'd listen to those who seem to have this issue too. But with all fitness we can't spot reduce so be patient.
  • PWRLFTR1
    PWRLFTR1 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    squats, squats and more squats
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    you can also try different workout pants. no body is perfect, but different pants fit differently and you can find a brand that smooths your butt into one butt.