Break-up

Options
pinkgigi
pinkgigi Posts: 693 Member
What do people do to nurture themselves when they've had a break-up, besides food?

I think it was funny that he bought some chocolate with him to soften the blow, but I'm feeling all sorry for myself and feel I want to binge.

GG

Replies

• Karleyyy
    Karleyyy Posts: 857
    Options
    It sounds horrible, but I always listen to sad depressing music when I am sad and depressed. I don't really cry, but it is kinda like crying. Everyone says it makes you feel better, but while you're doing it you feel completely awful.
  • laz22girl
    laz22girl Posts: 47
    Options
    I have had a lot of break ups..none where the guy softened the blow with choc. Lol.

I indulged...but i also did stuff totally for me. Shopping, manicures, pedi..allowed myself to cry and feel the pain/hurt. Listened to depressing music.
  • cbgumaer
    cbgumaer Posts: 2
    Options
    hit the gym! make him regret his decision!
  • laz22girl
    laz22girl Posts: 47
    Options
    Yes, I also run/work out hard.
  • RealClaraBlog
    Options
    Music is wonderful to immerse yourself in, no matter what you're feeling!
  • sarah_boombah
    sarah_boombah Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    how about a pamper day for yourself? Haircut, mani/pedi etc?
  • srhdwll
    srhdwll Posts: 65
    Options
    It sounds horrible, but I always listen to sad depressing music when I am sad and depressed. I don't really cry, but it is kinda like crying. Everyone says it makes you feel better, but while you're doing it you feel completely awful.

Yup! Put on some Morrissey and make a cup of tea.
  • kimtpa1417
    kimtpa1417 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Hit the gym..... that way when you bump into him he will eat his heart out.:smokin:
  • ninpiggy
    ninpiggy Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Hit the gym..... that way when you bump into him he will eat his heart out.:smokin:

I second this!
  • caretheaton
    caretheaton Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    A night (or 12) of romantic comedies always helps me. Somehow it restores my faith in romance. Also, Sex and The City. I made it through 3 seasons once after a break-up. Helped tremendously.
  • runner328
    runner328 Posts: 174
    Options
    Hang-out w/ your friends and family and workout. Keep your self busy. Don't turn down any invitations to do anything. Unless it's creepy or involves you eating too many calories!
  • MeredithRN
    MeredithRN Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    First of all.... what a d-bag for bringing chocolate when he probably knows you're dieting! Saboteur!

Secondly- besides eating myself into a coma, my friend taught me this- find a funny movie and watch it until you feel better. When her fiance left her she watched Big Mommas House every time she started getting sad. She brought me over White Chicks- I watched it... alot. If you don't have kids, go out with your friends! Girl time! Do things for you- including exercise, it will make you feel better in the end.

Depending on the intensity of the relationship, I always felt I needed a change- new hair cut or color did it for me everytime.

It all depends on you and what makes YOU feel good!
  • AJay513
    AJay513 Posts: 187
    Options
    Shopping, Mani/Pedi, at home facials, baths, watching my favorite shows/movies, working out and going out with the girls!
    Just talk it out with family n friends, cry... but immersing myself with goood company and just putting myself #1 makes me forget :)
  • CBKMom
    CBKMom Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Go out and do something special for yourself. Treat yourself like the princess that you are. Do something new with your hair, your makeup, anything, just so that you feel special to yourself.
  • _beachgirl_
    _beachgirl_ Posts: 3,865 Member
    Options
    I recommend a punching bag it's a fantastic catharsis!
  • Rompa_87
    Rompa_87 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I also go with the punching bag/hard running
  • jsc4him
    jsc4him Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    No man is worth over-eating. I used to eat an entire bag of cookies or some other junk when my first husband and I would fight. The only person i was hurting was myself!
  • Lolyballs
    Lolyballs Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    hit the gym! make him regret his decision!

Excellent advice! And pampering yourself sounds good too. Remember by pigging out you are only hurting yourself. I was doing this not even a week ago when I was angry at someone. The advice I have given so many others came into my head and I stopped and said "what the hell are you doing?"... Never allow anyone or anything have that kind of power over you! Maybe you need to get angry... how dare he bring chocolate and sabotage your weight loss goal! Punch some pillows, scrub some walls... find something to use up that energy. Call some girlfriends and go out dancing! You are worth it and you are going to win this battle!
  • ahd22
    ahd22 Posts: 3
    Options
    You need to re-invent yourself! Do things that you want to do!! Put yourself first and immerse yourself with friends and family and cry out those emotions that you are feeling. It is ok to be sad and depressed about the situation and you need to get those feelings out because it is healthy! Someone once told me that women have a tendancy to define themselves by the relationships they are in so when the relationship ends we have this lost feeling. A feeling like we dont know who we are almost. I know that is what i did with my past relationship that ended a month ago and now i have been building myself back up and finding myself again. I wish you the best of luck in your adventures and if you need support I am here!
  • spitfire1962
    spitfire1962 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Throw out the chocolate first off. Then make sure that you don't have any other junk food, or high fat food in the house. He probably is trying to sabotage your diet. Have yourself a good cry, then move on. Do something special for yourself, hairdo, nails, or whatever you like to do that doesn't include over indulging on food or alcohol. Find a friend, someone you trust to talk to. Then see it for what it is, over! He probably did you a favor by leaving. You are stronger than you think. You've come along this far and you can do this. Use this as motivation. You want to make yourself healthy and strong. That will be the best revenge ever that he can see you not just surviving, but thriving without him. Use your support group here on MFP to vent. I can look back at breakups I've had in the past and now see how fortunate I was that it happened. I wish you the best success ever.