Afraid to weigh myself

Options
13»

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Oh
    I'm 5'5 and know I'm roughly 9st7 to 10st but am terrified to weigh myself - I mostly think my body looks fine but the numbers on the scale upset me if I'm above 9st. Any solutions? I want to be able to track my weight so I know if I'm losing weight but this is stopping me :(

Oh, I can relate to this. When I started losing weight I had only a rough idea of what I weighed because I was afraid to weigh myself.

I forced myself on the scale a while after I started losing weight, and I'M SO GLAD I DID. If I didn't know where I started, I wouldn't know how far I've come! Actually I wish I had weighed myself right when I began, because I'm sure what I consider to be my "starting weight" is lower than my actual starting weight.

So my advice is to just do it. Weigh yourself. You might not like what you see, but you'll be glad you did once you've started losing.

And btw, when I did that first weigh-in, my weight was a good 20 pounds lighter than I expected it to be, so nice surprises are possible!

You're missing the point.... OP doesn't need to lose weight.
  • thewindandthework
    thewindandthework Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Oh
    I'm 5'5 and know I'm roughly 9st7 to 10st but am terrified to weigh myself - I mostly think my body looks fine but the numbers on the scale upset me if I'm above 9st. Any solutions? I want to be able to track my weight so I know if I'm losing weight but this is stopping me :(

Oh, I can relate to this. When I started losing weight I had only a rough idea of what I weighed because I was afraid to weigh myself.

I forced myself on the scale a while after I started losing weight, and I'M SO GLAD I DID. If I didn't know where I started, I wouldn't know how far I've come! Actually I wish I had weighed myself right when I began, because I'm sure what I consider to be my "starting weight" is lower than my actual starting weight.

So my advice is to just do it. Weigh yourself. You might not like what you see, but you'll be glad you did once you've started losing.

And btw, when I did that first weigh-in, my weight was a good 20 pounds lighter than I expected it to be, so nice surprises are possible!

You're missing the point.... OP doesn't need to lose weight.

Agreed. I edited my post between the time you quoted me and the time you posted.
  • rianneonamission
    rianneonamission Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Yes, absolutely get on that waiting list ASAP. At least then you stand a chance of getting it sooner rather than later. I know mental health support on the NHS is limited but keep pushing for it.

However, like @TavistockToad says, you are not overweight. You are in the healthy BMI range. And I stick by my earlier comments re your problem being your family, not the scales.

Whilst you are waiting for counselling, and as long as you do intend to learn about a more positive and healthy way of being in control of your diet, weight, etc, without rubbish diets/pills/potions, I would suggest you have a look at Richie Howey on Facebook. He has a number of videos explaining calories in vs calories out and other basic concepts of nutrition. His aim is basically to teach people how to be in control of their diet and nutrition without going on special diets. He recommends MFP, he promotes normal deficits over crash diets (don't starve yourself), he wants to teach people to have a healthy level of control over their diet. He swears like a trooper but honestly, he's worth a watch.

But remember this: you pick your friends, not your family. And it sounds like your friends are far more realistic and kind than your family. Hold on to those friends.

Sending you much strength. And only do this for yourself. No one else should ever dictate your size or your self image.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,719 Member
    Options
    Don't live and die by the scale numbers. The scale only tracks weight and IS NOT always an indication of how one looks.

If you wore the clothes you like, looked the way you like, people comment on how great you look, then why does the scale matter?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• rianneonamission
    rianneonamission Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    So, @EloquentSelfLoathing , this is me. Pics are the wrong way round: right is before, left is after. This is the result of exercise before I started tracking my calories too. In the after picture I am about 3lbs heavier, but I look leaner. No diet involved, just exercise. I took the after photo because I was getting very down after not seeing the number on the scales move down, despite having spent two months training my *kitten* off with the help of a PT.

Seeing the difference in my shape totally changed my attitude towards my scales. Now that I do track my calorie intake the scales are simply a guide, though I care more about the body fat and muscle mass % it tells me than the actual weight.

I thought I'd share this to show that the number on the scale doesn't accurately reflect how you look and feel.

0fkd7dxpcngn.jpg
  • EloquentSelfLoathing
    EloquentSelfLoathing Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, feeling supported and reassured :)
  • EloquentSelfLoathing
    EloquentSelfLoathing Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    So, @EloquentSelfLoathing , this is me. Pics are the wrong way round: right is before, left is after. This is the result of exercise before I started tracking my calories too. In the after picture I am about 3lbs heavier, but I look leaner. No diet involved, just exercise. I took the after photo because I was getting very down after not seeing the number on the scales move down, despite having spent two months training my *kitten* off with the help of a PT.

Seeing the difference in my shape totally changed my attitude towards my scales. Now that I do track my calorie intake the scales are simply a guide, though I care more about the body fat and muscle mass % it tells me than the actual weight.

I thought I'd share this to show that the number on the scale doesn't accurately reflect how you look and feel.

0fkd7dxpcngn.jpg

Gorgeous picture :)