Afraid to weigh myself

Options
I'm 5'5 and know I'm roughly 9st7 to 10st but am terrified to weigh myself - I mostly think my body looks fine but the numbers on the scale upset me if I'm above 9st. Any solutions? I want to be able to track my weight so I know if I'm losing weight but this is stopping me :(

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,070 Member
    Options
    Take progress pictures or measurements instead for a while if it is really going to discourage you to see a higher number on the scale. Otherwise you've just got to man the *kitten* up and get on with it and face the truth, it might actually inspire you to stick at it.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5 and know I'm roughly 9st7 to 10st but am terrified to weigh myself - I mostly think my body looks fine but the numbers on the scale upset me if I'm above 9st. Any solutions? I want to be able to track my weight so I know if I'm losing weight but this is stopping me :(

work on what you want to change about your body and measure progress in other ways...

scale weight is just a number, it doesn't define you as a person.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    I might get shouted at for this but I'd say...
    buckle down!
  • EloquentSelfLoathing
    EloquentSelfLoathing Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    The other problem I get is if I set a target weight I inevitably end up aiming for my lowest non underweight weight but usually plateau about 7lbs above it and can't work out if that's bad or not
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,070 Member
    Options
    If it's in your healthy BMI range, it's not really a problem. The last few pounds are always the toughest and slowest to come off, you just have to keep at it and be as accurate in your logging as possible.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Either get an American scale and weigh in pounds without converting, or go to a loading dock and weigh in short tonnes.

I like the way Ironandwine69 phrased it, girl to girl, but the way I phrase it, man to girl, is "Don't be so silly! Just collect the data point and move on."
  • EloquentSelfLoathing
    Options
    The other problem I get is if I set a target weight I inevitably end up aiming for my lowest non underweight weight but usually plateau about 7lbs above it and can't work out if that's bad or not

Maybe it's time to think about why your self esteem is so linked to a number?

Already did, sadly it's not fixable unless I avoid the majority of my family for a prolonged period of time. They pretty much think I'm fat unless I'm literally underweight (not a thing I easily achieve).
  • EloquentSelfLoathing
    Options
    Put your big girl pants on and step on the scale.

Is your profile picture of you recent? Cause if it is then why are you here? You look amazing! How did you do that?
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options

Is your profile picture of you recent? Cause if it is then why are you here? You look amazing! How did you do that?

She's here to stay that way. You get that way and you put that sort of "look at ME" photo up here.
  • Zinka61
    Zinka61 Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    If you just do it, shock can be extremely motivating. If you really can't, have a trusted friend record the number for you and don't look at it until you start feeling you are making progress losing. Then compare and be happy.
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options

Yes, that pic is from last Saturday. And thank you.
    Alot of hard work and 4.30am wake ups.
  • TavistockToad
    Options

Already did, sadly it's not fixable unless I avoid the majority of my family for a prolonged period of time. They pretty much think I'm fat unless I'm literally underweight (not a thing I easily achieve).

Sounds simple enough to me... why have that sort of toxic influence in your life?
  • EloquentSelfLoathing
    Options

Sounds simple enough to me... why have that sort of toxic influence in your life?

It's complicated :(
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Just do it *shrugs* measure yourself in kilos if it stops you fretting about the number as much. Most scales will have a setting for it.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options

Yes, that pic is from last Saturday. And thank you.
    Alot of hard work and 4.30am wake ups.

OP, I think she meant to say that she did it by lifting heavy and weighing her food and logging it in.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Your weight is just a data point, but can be useful to determine if you are losing, maintaining or gaining weight. Use other methods along with the scale to measure progress... measurements, photos, the mirror, fitness/gym performance etc.
  • TavistockToad
    Options

It's complicated :(

Only if you make it so
  • EloquentSelfLoathing
    Options
    Also is 1200 too low calories? Cause opinions seem divided but myfitnesspal seems to think that's the amount I should eat to lose weight... and technically I can but it's kinda stressful...