June 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Azercord
    Azercord Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent I don't know what you are talking about, I always breath two in two out....except when I don't. Honestly I'm usually 3 in 2 out but it's not like I get really bored and start counting my breathing patterns or anything.

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Hmm. I like to breathe in on left foot, out right out left, or maybe it's right in, left out, right out... Crap. I just know I'm doing it wrong.
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    @MobyCarp you rock! I really should have gotten the WWMCD? on the back of my Embrace the Suck shirt! :D

The great thing about the course for my upcoming 5k is it's basically a route I run all the time. It's a state park 15 min from me that is a big lake, with a nice, paved path all the way around it, which is almost exactly 3 miles long. Tons of runners in my area go there for their training, because there's also an outer ring road with more elevation gain, so there are different options for how much distance and how many hills you want. It's my go-to location for when I'm adding distance to my long runs, and I don't want hills too, lol.

And it's true, the course isn't 100% perfectly flat. But I think my familiarity and comfort with the location will really help in this instance. It's also a women-only race, with self-placing corrals, and they're hoping to reach 1,000 participants, though some of those will be doing the walk, not the run, so it shouldn't be too difficult to deal with initial crowding. We'll see what happens!

9zwf0jjqtzcw.jpg

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Sometimes, in the middle of the day, you come to a terribly obvious conclusion that you already KNEW, but were letting pride get in the way of..... Today's example courtesy of MNLittleFinn and his bruised ego:

I set my Garmin back to alerting me whenever I am out of z2. I will use this while I am road running, as I am planning on my trail runs to be "hard" days anyway, with all the elevation. I came to this conclusion for two *kitten* obvious reasons:

1: I've been running too hard on ALL of my runs, and need to get back to having more time spent in E, I'll still be too high (probably), because I'm always out of E average on trail for some reason. Hopefully though, this way I'll at least control for it and get my E time back to a more reasonable range.

2: This one should have been obvious too. Because I run too fast, I'm spending LESS TIME ON FEET! Since I'm trying to transition to Trail/ultra training, I need to spend MORE time running, not LESS... Duh!

Looking at cut off times for my upcoming "races" I have it in quotes because I'll be running 2/3 just for fun/experience/training.

Eugene Curnow Marathon: 22 min/mile
    Ely Marathon: 18 min/mile
    Wild Duluth: 17 min/mile

Now, this is overall times and, obviously, aid station stops on the 2 trail races will add time, but there are only 7 and 8 aid stations respectively.

So Assuming I even spend 5 minutes at each (that would be a LOT) That maxes out at 40 minutes, which takes 1:15 per mile off of my allowable average pace on the ultra, dropping it to 14:45/mile I'd need to move, which, oddly enough, is what the McMillan Calculator gave me for a pace (Using a horribly incompatible 5 mile time, but hey, it's my delusions, right?).......

.... So, what's all that saying? Not much to you guys, but it says to me: STOP WORRYING ABOUT YOUR RUN TIMES AND GET TIME ON FEET YOU NEED A DIFFERENT MINDSET YOU DOLT!

Sorry for the insane rambling.... it was, once again, more stream of thought typing...
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @midwesterner85 I kind if had to chuckle at your 2 "rest" days after your HM.... backpacking is hard work!
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn No doubt... the first day was a very long and tough day because of the distance and elevation - and a few snow fields were not so bad to be terribly more difficult hiking, but at 7,600 ft. and snow reflecting sun, I got a bit of a burn despite wearing sunscreen. On the 2nd day, it was especially difficult because I was so dehydrated and struggling to inconveniently get water wherever I could through my backup Life Straw.

TMI on the dehydration:
    On that 2nd day where I decided to hike out early to the nearest trailhead, I was sweating so much that I lost everything I was drinking through sweat. I only urinated once all day. In fact, in the evening I finally got back to my car and went out to a convenience store where I bought 2L of water and 1L of diet soda. I drank all of the water and 1/2 of the soda that evening and yet I still wasn't able to pee until the next morning.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn No doubt... the first day was a very long and tough day because of the distance and elevation - and a few snow fields were not so bad to be terribly more difficult hiking, but at 7,600 ft. and snow reflecting sun, I got a bit of a burn despite wearing sunscreen. On the 2nd day, it was especially difficult because I was so dehydrated and struggling to inconveniently get water wherever I could through my backup Life Straw.

TMI on the dehydration:
    On that 2nd day where I decided to hike out early to the nearest trailhead, I was sweating so much that I lost everything I was drinking through sweat. I only urinated once all day. In fact, in the evening I finally got back to my car and went out to a convenience store where I bought 2L of water and 1L of diet soda. I drank all of the water and 1/2 of the soda that evening and yet I still wasn't able to pee until the next morning.
    Yikes! Sounds like some great hiking nonetheless!
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    I've heard of all this breathing pattern stuff. I used to think I should look into it and try to figure it out. Then I thought, well, I'm running...and I'm breathing....and I'm not dying...so, if it ain't broke, don't fix it, lol.

I saw a comment the other day that runners should only ever practice breathing through their noses and not through their mouths as you get more oxygen that way. I haven't yet got my head around that.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    6/24 - Glacier National Park Half Marathon (2:10:07)
    6/25 - Rest (Backpack Glacier National Park 18.2 miles 3K+ elevation up, 3K+ elevation down)
    6/26 - Rest (Backpack Glacier National Park, 11.3 miles)

@midwesterner85 this is obviously some definition of "rest" I wast not previously aware of.

Congrats on you HM and hiking trip though! :smiley:
  • vandinem
    vandinem Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Date     Miles      MTD
    ------   -----    -------
    Jun 04     5.0        5.0
    Jun 05     3.6        8.6
    Jun 07     3.7       12.3
    Jun 09     3.6       15.9
    Jun 10     5.1W      21.0 Bare Cove
    Jun 11     5.1       26.1
    Jun 13     3.7       29.8
    Jun 14     3.7       33.5
    Jun 17     6.2       39.7
    Jun 20     3.7       43.4
    Jun 24     3.7       47.1
    Jun 25     5.1       52.2
    Jun 27     3.7       55.9
    Jun 29     4.3       60.2

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    I saw a comment the other day that runners should only ever practice breathing through their noses and not through their mouths as you get more oxygen that way. I haven't yet got my head around that.

Yep. "In twice through the nose, out once through the mouth" is what I was taught at one point. Never actually tried it though. :)
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    Got hot and humid earlier today (despite being up north) so just did 10 easy miles. Legs felt off at the end and I still had a swim & bike ride left on the schedule for today so I left it at 10 debating just running to/from tomorrow's baseball game after doing an AM 13 mile run to reach my number. I'll play it by ear.

6/1 - 2 miles
    6/3 - 3.5 miles
    6/4 - 13 miles (1:36 run @ IM Raleigh 70.3)
    6/6 - 3 miles
    6/7 - 7 miles
    6/8 - 3.5 miles (post ride)
    6/10 - 10 miles
    6/11 - 12 miles
    6/12 - 11 miles
    6/13 - 9 miles
    6/14 - 1 mile (post ride)
    6/15 - 10 miles
    6/17 - 13 miles
    6/18 - 11 miles
    6/21 - 3 miles
    6/23 - 2 miles
    6/25 - 13 miles
    6/26 - 5 miles
    6/28 - 11.5 miles
    6/29 - 10 miles

Total: 153.5 miles
    Goal: 180 miles
    Remaining: 26.5 miles

2017 Race Schedule:
    1/29 - Chilly Willy Duathlon (1:07:48 - 20:05 1st 5K/21:16 2nd 5K - 1st AG, 3rd Amateur)
    2/5 - Best Damn Race 1:50 pacer
    5/5 - Pittsburgh Marathon (withdrew at mile 16 - 1:32 split @ 13.1)
    6/4 - Ironman 70.3 Raleigh - 4:43/1:36 run - Qualified for Ironman 70.3 World Championships
    8/25 - Ironman Coeur D'Alene
    9/10 - Ironman 70.3 World Championships
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @Ohhim I am always amazed at thr numbers you put up, especially combined with the cycling and swimming. With how you train, I can't wait to see how you do at thr IMWC 70.3 in November. You make my numbers loom puny, but that's fine with me, you're a beast!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    1---5.06
    3---6.31
    4---6.29
    6---3.69 walk
    7---4.37
    9---3.76
    10---6.34
    11---5.19
    13---3.64
    15---3.56
    16---mtn bike 4.95 miles
    17---2.5 walk
    18---2.04 run +7.8 mile bike
    20---3.14 walk
    21---3.22 walk
    23---3.41
    24--- 3.26 run, 4.53 hike
    25---2.77 run, 4.18 walk
    28---3.44
    29---2.98

83.59/70

Upcoming races

AIM for the Cure- 5K, virual run
    July 8- XTERRA Jurassic Trail Run, 5K.  Glen Rose,TX
    Dec 2- POOP trail run, Hoping for a half! Norman OK.

Pre-op PR's
    1 mile 8:27  5k 24:42. 10k 1:00.52.  HM 2:17.28
    Post-op Training PR's
    1 mile 10:11  5k 34.27 10k 1:20.25
  • mk2fit
    mk2fit Posts: 730 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    @Stoshew71, I really hate it when my uterus falls out.
    @MNLittleFinn, wow!

As to breathing, my (80 year old) dad told me to breathe in for two counts, out for two. Oh, yeah, he was Army and ran in the Los Angeles marathon back in the day. Ha, it's all I can do not to trip over my own feet. Count? Who needs it?
  • nFoooo
    nFoooo Posts: 136 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options

"Mouth breathing is by far the best way to breath while running, largely because it brings in more oxygen than breathing through the nose. It get's better: Forcing air through the nostrils can tighten your jaw and other facial muscles, and tension is never good for running."

From a google search with runnersconnect as the source. Other articles say the same and I also read the same on forums, you should breathe through your mouth.