June 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Opened a ticket with Strava support to see what they say, after all, it is their help docs that suggest https://tapiriik.com/ as the best way to sync. Might ask them to delete all my Strava activity and then manually add like the last years worth from RunKeeper. (Manual is limited to 10 activities at a time so would not want to do all time)
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Date Miles today - Miles for June

6/1 10.5 miles - 10.5
    6/2 7.5 miles - 18
    6/3 14 miles - 32
    6/4 REST DAY
    6/5 8 miles - 40
    6/6 10 miles - 50
    6/7 5.4 miles - 55.4
    6/8 10 miles - 65.4
    6/9 4.15 miles - 69.55
    6/10 14 miles - 83.55
    6/11 REST DAY
    6/12 10.5 miles - 94.05
    6/13 10 miles - 104.05
    6/14 5 miles - 109.05
    6/15 10 miles - One hundred nineteen point oh five
    6/16 4 miles 123.05
    6/17 14 miles 137.05
    6/18 REST DAY
    6/19 10.5 miles - 147.55 << 1510 ft. elev gain
    6/20 8 miles - 155.55
    6/21 5 miles - 160.55
    6/22 REST DAY
    6/23 5 miles - 165.55
    6/24 10 miles - 175.55
    6/25 REST DAY
    6/26 10.5 miles 186.05
    6/27 10 miles - 196.05
    6/28 5 miles - 201.05
    6/29 10 miles - 211.05

exercise.png

Elkmont Hound Dog Half (unofficial) - 1/21 << 1:46:48 2 OA
    Elkmont Hound Dog Half (rescheduled) - 2/18 << 1:41:04 1 in AG & 24 OA
    Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon - 4/29 << 4:09:59

Upcoming races:
    None so far

My PPounders group run this morning which included 8x hill repeats. Plus I did 2x 1 mile cruise intervals with a 1 mile recovery in between.

• MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options

Short intervals are hard. Ugh. Lol. Last night was Rockland Road Runners' summer track workout, which consisted of 4x200s (w/200m recoveries), 4x400s (w/400m recoveries), and 4x200s (w/200m recoveries). I jogged all of the recoveries. I started with 3 miles of warmup, and to get some extra distance in, and finished with a half mile cooldown. Those short, fast bursts really are intense. I'm still fairly new to all this track training, so I'm trying to figure out what my paces are. I think I did pretty ok, my final 200m was my fastest 200 and my final 400m was my fastest 400. Here are my splits (minus the first 200, since I forgot to hit the lap button before I started it, lol)

200m - ??, :43, :40, :42
    400m - 1:47, 1:43, 1:46, 1:40
    200m - :44, :43, :42, :39

No idea really if this is good, not good, means anything, but at least I seem to be fairly consistent, lol. Was definitely tired by the end of this workout though.

@KatieJane83 -

Yes, short intervals *are* hard.

I don't know whether the raw numbers are good without knowing your paces, but I have a couple of observations.

The good: The point of the 200/400/200 sets is to wear you out so you have to work harder to maintain the pace in the second set of 200s. That forces you into good running economy, and by extension good form. It looks like you did pretty well keeping the second set of 200s consistent with the first. And being able to knock off your fastest 200 on the last rep is good.

The not-so-good (maybe): I'm not totally sure how hard the 400s were supposed to be. In terms of the Jack Daniels system, I might be assigned all those intervals at R pace, or I might be assigned the 200s at R pace and the 400s at I pace, which is a bit slower than R. If I go by your 200s being R, that puts your VDOT around 48 and puts your 400s around T pace. I've never been assigned anything shorter than an 800 at T pace. So it looks like you might have run the 400s too slow, the 200s too fast, or a little bit of both. But I can't be sure, because I don't know what the workout was supposed to be and I don't know for sure what your paces should be.

Or maybe Rockland is using a different training system, and the results mean something else in the context of how they train.

Reference: My handy-dandy VDOT chart says a VDOT of 48 would have 200m at 44 seconds for R, 400m at 90 seconds for R, 96 seconds for I, or 1:45 for T. R is roughly equivalent to your mile race pace, I is roughly equivalent to your 5K race pace, T is lactic threshold or "comfortably hard."
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    cburke8909 wrote: »
    @Stoshew71 I like your advice. What's your opinion on the two No running training days? Is it possible for those replace and even improve you as a runner? The less wear on your body from the weight bearing activity without giving up time on the cardio training makes some sense to me. My training so far has had these elements and it does seem to work but I have not run a marathon yet. My 19 mile long run did go off without injury or extreme discomfort. I confess that I haven't even purchased a HM yet.

I personally take Sunday off and run 6 days a week normally. Sometimes I need an extra rest day and will take it if I need it. When I build up my peak mileage for marathon training, I will even have 2 days that are designated as double days (I run in the morning and afternoon) in order to make my mileage goal for the week.

On days after a quality day, the miles are short and are ran at recovery pace. So Mondays and Thursdays are designated as my quality days and Saturdays are my long run day. Tuesday is still a high mileage day but usually ran at an easy pace. Wednesday and Friday's are my recovery days. Sometimes if I need an extra rest day, I don't run on Friday morning.

But I just didn't start doing that. I built up my mileage slowly. When I first started it was Mon Wed and Fridays on the treadmill. Then I added Saturday morning at the greenway. I went from 3 miles on the green way to 6 miles on the greenway. Then I started to boost my miles on the treadmill from 3 miles, to 3.5 miles, then eventually 4.5 miles. Then I started to replace my weed day treadmill miles to outdoor miles. Then I started increasing how much I was running during the week to like 5 miles Mon, Wed, Fri. Then 6 miles on Saturday mornings went from 6 miles to 8 miles to 10 miles and eventually I was able to do 14 miles. Then I started to add 2 miles on Thursdays and now I was running 5 days a week. Then those miles on Thursdays got bumped up while also slowly bumping of the other days. Eventually I got brave and added a couple miles on Tuesdays and that started my running 6 days a week. Some days were faster days, and some days were turtle in mud days.

I can continue more of this later since I have to go now.

....To be continued.
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    @MobyCarp Thank you so much for responding, it's very interesting to learn more about this.

The track workouts I'm doing are free with my county's running club, though the coaches are decently legit, but they don't make things very complicated b/c we have people of varying levels. Basically, the instructions were to run the 200s almost all out, getting into anaerobic range, and the 400s 'a little bit slower', whatever that means, lol.

I was actually looking at the VDOT numbers just a minute ago too, and I'm not exactly sure what to make of it all. If I use my most recent 5k race time (which was in April, so I'm thinking would be a little faster now) my VDOT number is actually 36, and if I look at my HM from this past weekend (which was very hilly, so I know I could do it a little faster) my VDOT is 38. However, I ran last night's 200m intervals at a sub 6:00 pace, even though my predicted 1 mile pace is 7:50.

So, either I can actually run a HM, 5k, and 1 mile faster than I currently think I can, or the jump between HM and 5k distances and the shorter distances are not yielding accurate calculations for me. Or something else, lol.

Anyway, no matter what, I am really enjoying looking at all these numbers and trying to figure everything out, because I am definitely a nerd, lol.

xsqjj0r20agi.jpg

0wnjr29aencj.jpg
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    cburke8909 wrote: »
    @Stoshew71 I like your advice. What's your opinion on the two No running training days? Is it possible for those replace and even improve you as a runner? The less wear on your body from the weight bearing activity without giving up time on the cardio training makes some sense to me. My training so far has had these elements and it does seem to work but I have not run a marathon yet. My 19 mile long run did go off without injury or extreme discomfort. I confess that I haven't even purchased a HM yet.

@cburke8909 -As you suggested, cross training days are intended to give you the cardio benefits of the slow, easy run without the wear and tear on the legs. As to whether or not they are preferential to the easy run, I think depends on where you are as a runner. For new runners and those working to build their base for a marathon, I think that getting in as many miles running as possible is important. You are developing specific muscles and tendons, you are learning how it feels to run on tired legs, etc. However, there is a fine line between training hard and running too much. That is kind of the tricky part for runners, especially new runners who tend to do too much too soon. My advice in this situation would be to listen to your body and opt for a run when you can and cross train instead when you feel beat down. Also pay attention to total mileage and be careful not to ramp up too quickly. When in doubt, opt for cross training. And first and foremost, never allow yourself to get caught up in running for the numbers. Every run has a purpose and sometimes a shorter one is preferential to a long one.

On the other hand, as @MobyCarp eluded to, plans that focus heavily on speed work and include lots of cross training in place of slow, easy running are often intended for more experienced runners who may already have developed a lot of the necessary components of a solid running base. These runners are often older and more prone to injury (ahem, looks in the mirror) . Anyone prone to injury should opt for cross training over running, IMO. I think this is why you see so many older athletes heading into triathlons. The wear and tear of doing the same activity for long periods of time has led them into cross training as a means of balancing out their training. Then they start to say, "hey, if I am running/ biking/swimming, why don't I just start doing tris?" I think I read somewhere that the average age for an IronMan triathlete is like, 45 or something crazy. But I guess it makes sense.

One thing that I think gets forgotten in this conversation , however, is the importance of strength training. Very few training plans mention it. I think it gets avoided because we all know that adding a strength training program into the mix will definitely throw another element of fatigue into the mix and ultimately, will probably have an impact on the overall number of miles you can run. That is why so many people ignore strength training in the interest of running more miles. I think this is a critical mistake. Sure, you might not want to be doing those heavy squats on the squat rack or trying to set a new deadlift PR, but it's a good idea to try to get in at least one or two sessions of body weight or light weight training each week, even if that means sacrificing that time away from the road.

@MNLittleFinn The past two days you have stated that your HR has been higher than expected, even given your level of perceived effort. Might I suggest that maybe you are not fully recovered from your marathon and could benefit from taking it easy for another few days? Marathons take a lot out of you. Personally, I schedule about a month of easy running "downtime" after a marathon. Often our brains say we are feeling great, but our bodies are giving us little hints to the contrary.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @lporter229 That's a big part of it. Add to that stress from family situations, and my HR has been a bit higher than normal.....Another part is that last night I was dumb and ran at a pace that fell between the pace of my 2 fastest half marathons....lol, I'm pretty sure my HR would have been lower if I remembered to take it easy.

Today I'll be watching my pace more closely so I'm not pushing, and probably have HR set to show on my Garmin too, get back on track with easy running.
  • RunnersLament
    RunnersLament Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Day 43 of a running streak... Gauntlet has been thrown to run 150 days in honor of Canada's 150th birthday. For June I just crossed the 125 mile mark with 1 day left in the month. Averaging 4.25 miles per day and aiming for consistency... no speed or hills. Looking at maybe 130 miles for June?
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    6/1 - 4 miles
    6/2 - Pre-race rest day. Ate some donuts for national donut day / carb load :wink:
    6/3 - 13.2 miles. Damn HOT Dam to Dam half marathon! Race report forthcoming.
    6/4 - Ow.
    6/5 - Still ow. Had hoped for a recovery run, but decided against it when I got up.
    6/6 - 4.3 miles.
    6/7 - Unplanned rest day due to son's strep throat :-(
    6/8 - 5 miles.
    6/9 - 5 miles.
    6/10 - 6.2 miles.
    6/11 - Rest day.
    6/12 - 5 miles. 78° and humid at 4:45 a.m.!
    6/13 - 4.1 miles of track/speed work with a group. Then quick upper body weights. Again, 78° and humid.
    6/14 - Rest day. Semi-planned.
    6/15 - 5 miles.
    6/16 - 5 miles.
    6/17 - 6.8 miles.
    6/18 - Father's Day with my Dad and brother.
    6/19 - 5 miles.
    6/20 - 3.4 miles.
    6/21 - 4 treadmill miles, then upper body weights.
    6/22 - 5 hot and humid miles.
    6/23 - 5 miles.
    6/24 - Baseball tournament all day.
    6/25 - 3.4 on the hotel 'mill.
    6/26 - Rest day.
    6/27 - 5.2 miles. Gorgeously cool morning!
    6/28 - 4 treadmill miles, then weights/abs.
    6/29 - 5 humid miles.

exercise.png
  • shrcpr
    shrcpr Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    Lady runners. My wife's birthday is coming up in a couple weeks. She's just getting into running. I was thinking about getting her an Oiselle gift card so sje can try their stuff. Good idea?

Not knowing your wife, it's kind of hard to tell. I had to look up Oiselle - is it an online store only? I'd say a gift card would be good if she likes shopping for clothes online. Looks like they have a lot of cute stuff.

Personally, I hate shopping of all kinds and my husband knows that so a gift card for shopping wouldn't be my preference but I'm not big into gifts anyway so am probably the last person who should be commenting. :#
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    June Challenge....goal is 60 miles.

June 1.....8 miles
    June 14....6 miles
    June 19....6 miles
    June 21...8 miles: 14 minute miles, average heart rate at 90%.
    June 22....8 miles. 13:23 minute miles, average heart rate at 85%
    June 25....8 miles. 13 minute miles, average heart rate at 83%
    June 28...6 miles, 13:19 minute miles, average heart rate at 82%, 66 minute zone running.

Total.....50 miles.

My colonoscopy went well. The prep was dreadful. There were 2 bottles of laxative. After I drank the first bottle, I thought that it wasn't going to work on me. After 90 minutes it started working. The second bottle tasted just as vile as the first. The procedure (colonoscopy) was fast...only 20 minutes. Only 1 polyp...(yay)...my doctor didn't think that it was cancerous. I was given propofol during the procedure. Afterward, everything seemed funny to me. I laughed when they told me that they were going to wheel me out. It seemed so funny to me at the time....like I couldn't walk to the car.

I felt great, but still hadn't passed flatus. So I told my husband that I was at least going to walk a few miles to normalize my body, which is used to a lot of activity. I changed my mind and ran 6 miles, moderate pace, trying to stay in the zone. It was great weather, and I felt great. And it worked.

I still have 10 more miles to run to meet my goal. I think that I can get it done tomorrow night...if it doesn't rain.

Everyone, have a great weekend!

• MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    @MobyCarp Thank you so much for responding, it's very interesting to learn more about this.

The track workouts I'm doing are free with my county's running club, though the coaches are decently legit, but they don't make things very complicated b/c we have people of varying levels. Basically, the instructions were to run the 200s almost all out, getting into anaerobic range, and the 400s 'a little bit slower', whatever that means, lol.

I was actually looking at the VDOT numbers just a minute ago too, and I'm not exactly sure what to make of it all. If I use my most recent 5k race time (which was in April, so I'm thinking would be a little faster now) my VDOT number is actually 36, and if I look at my HM from this past weekend (which was very hilly, so I know I could do it a little faster) my VDOT is 38. However, I ran last night's 200m intervals at a sub 6:00 pace, even though my predicted 1 mile pace is 7:50.

So, either I can actually run a HM, 5k, and 1 mile faster than I currently think I can, or the jump between HM and 5k distances and the shorter distances are not yielding accurate calculations for me. Or something else, lol.

Anyway, no matter what, I am really enjoying looking at all these numbers and trying to figure everything out, because I am definitely a nerd, lol.

That is interesting. Based on this additional information, here are my best guesses as to what it means:

1. The workout was supposed to be 4x200 at R, 4x400 at I, 4x200 at R. The coaches did their best to describe this for people who aren't familiar with the system and may have never run a race optimally for fastest finish.

2. You ran with R level of effort for the 200s, but didn't know what the vague instructions meant and backed off to T level of effort for the 400s.

3. If you were to run a max effort mile race on a track in good conditions, you might or might not break 6 minutes. I would expect you to be faster than 6:30, and I would be shocked it it took you 7 minutes.

4. You probably have a much faster 5K in you, if you can develop either better endurance or better confidence in the endurance you already have. By "much faster" I mean in the 21-22 minute range instead of the 25 you highlighted. The difference for you might just be confidence, good race management, and good weather on race day. Even 21-22 minutes might not be as fast as you could be if you were to optimize for the 5K distance.

5. Something else to think about is, how important to you is it to run the fastest race you possibly can? The training systems are all pointed at producing the fastest possible race time, but fastest possible time isn't always the most appropriate goal. I am guessing, based on your highlighted race times and the results of one track workout, that you have run your races rather conservatively to ensure you can run all the way and finish in good shape. There's nothing wrong with that strategy, particularly if finishing in good shape is significantly more important to you than finishing as fast as physically possible.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    How bad can a sunburn be?

http://www.menshealth.com/health/horrific-sunburn-wear-sunscreen

Insanely bad.

I met another runner last week and she asked if I wore sunblock. "Why? Cuz I'm cracker white?" I thought. No I'm not really shark bait. But do use sun block SPF 4-30, maybe 50 on my face, depending on the day. I could see that my new friend had, what appeared to be, sun damage on her face. Ya, the stuff is expensive. But worth it. Think I'll buy a small thing of it and give it to her next time I see her out.

Thanks @HonuNui for all your reminders and sharing your experience with us. :heart:
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    I thought I knew everything I need to know about running until I met @Stoshew71. Just pair of shoes they said, would make me runner...

Think I'll just sit back and pray for natural abilities, or enlightenment through osmosis.

Good information, just a whole lotta elephant for this wee small stomach :lol:

What's the problem? it's right foot in front of left foot in front of right foot again and breath and repeat, right?

:lol:

Oh ya, then I got this... Haha!