Please stop calling it a "cheat meal!"

Replies

• Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    I am guessing OP would not approve of the "Late Night Secret Binge" category in my food diary. :lol:

Haha! I just group those under "bedtime"
  • Rosie_McA
    Rosie_McA Posts: 256 Member
    I call it the weekend.
  • nyponbell
    nyponbell Posts: 379 Member
    I don't like the terms "cheat meal" or "treat meal" or even "no logging days" (but mostly because I'm just getting back into logging and going a whole day without it seems like a bad idea for me right now). I do have a category in my diary for "treats and snacks" but I consider them to just be part of my life, on the days that I do eat something that falls under that category. I think the term "treat meal" for me makes it sound as if I'm depriving myself when I'm not treating myself, which is not the case.

I do think that 'cheat meal' is a rather common name for it and everyone gets what people mean and that it will probably stay.
  • MontyMuttland
    MontyMuttland Posts: 68 Member
    If you've committed yourself to a diet plan in order to lose weight and you decide to throw it aside for one meal/one day/whatever, then you have cheated on the diet plan, it's really that simple.
    Call a spade a spade, why hide from what you're doing? Do you want someone to congratulate you for failing to stick to your resolve?
    Then next time you're about to cheat, ask yourself do you really want to stay fat?
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    If you've committed yourself to a diet plan in order to lose weight and you decide to throw it aside for one meal/one day/whatever, then you have cheated on the diet plan, it's really that simple.
    Call a spade a spade, why hide from what you're doing? Do you want someone to congratulate you for failing to stick to your resolve?
    Then next time you're about to cheat, ask yourself do you really want to stay fat?

If you're still progressing towards your goal over time, I really don't see how that's cheating but like I said in my earlier post I'm not terribly bothered by language.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,129 Member
    I don't use the term myself, I simply have days I stick to my calorie allowance, days I eat at maintenance and the rare day when I go over maintenance but no Amen from me, because I couldn't care less what anyone else refers to a meal as.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    I don't call it cheat meal, but I don't have an issue with people that do either.

To me, it is all energy balance. I plan my surplus days into my deficit so I can indulge on weekends. If I do an unplanned surplus and my macros and nutrition go out the window, I just eat a bit lighter and balance my macros better the next day or during the week... no big deal. That works for me
  • LadyLilion
    LadyLilion Posts: 276 Member
    I don't call it a cheat day or cheat meal...because this isn't a game. I can't call it "no logging" because I log it, no matter what it does to my weekly average...BECAUSE of what it does...I want a record of it. So I call it a *kitten* it meal/day. Sometimes you've got to say *kitten* it.
  • Mezzie1024
    Mezzie1024 Posts: 380 Member
    I don't like the term or its euphemisms and don't use it, but I think it's way too ingrained in diet culture to eradicate.

I do tend to think people who need a cheat meal as a carrot to get them through the week probably either set their calorie goal too low or imposed entirely too many diet restrictions on themselves, but it's their business, not mine.
  • fromaquasar1
    fromaquasar1 Posts: 51 Member
    MommyMeggo wrote: »
    I personally call mine an "IDGAF meal.... "

^^This is awesome.

Works for some, not for others, each to their own!
  • Goober1142
    Goober1142 Posts: 219 Member
    It's def a cheat day! Cheat cheat cheat!
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    I use the term cheat days. Personally, I think if you are upset that people are using terms such as this, you may need to figure out why you are upset about that. It does nothing to you. You can still follow your calorie goal and do your own thing. Why does it bother you so much that someone says they had a cheat meal or day?

pretty much this.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    I don't log...I just do my thing...sometimes I'm sure I'm over calories and other times I'm sure I'm under...I'm just good livin' for the most part, and no worse for the wear.