Struggling to drop the last 30 pounds

Well I didn't think I'd ever make a post like this or any posts at all.
Okay so I've lost 120 pounds since September 16th from 350 to 230
And I'm struggling to knock off the last 30.
It's almost like the thing the originally clicked for me to get into better shape is gone and I'm not sure why I've lost most if not all motivation. I'm at the point where I look good but I know I have to improve.
I've been less strict with my diet and stopped going to the gym as frequently as I'm struggling to get back on the saddle here.

So I was wondering if anybody had any input or strategys on sticking to it and what may motivate you all to continue to be vigilant on your journey.
Please let me know it's much appreciated thanks!

Replies

• allenic10
    allenic10 Posts: 19 Member
    Way to go on your accomplishments so far! I don't have any great advice to give, but don't quit. You can do it! :)
  • kyubeans
    kyubeans Posts: 135 Member
    Congratulations on your losses so far!

Not ever having had this experience, I don't know what would work, but maybe you're right when you say the thing that originally clicked for you is gone. Maybe you need something else. After 120 pounds, the reasons you want to lose weight have probably changed and evolved. I'd expect things like "fitting into clothes" and stuff like that might be less important now.

Something that is helping me right now is a list of reasons to lose weight that I have on my phone. I was totally and brutally honest and didn't censor myself at all when making this list. Maybe you should re-assess the reasons you want to lose those last 30 pounds. Make a new list so you can have a new goal and new purpose for the loss.
  • smileyducky
    smileyducky Posts: 31 Member
    Similar situation here, struggling to lose the last 15lbs! I'm currently trying to switch goals, as my initial motivation was to look good/feel more confident and like you I'm already there. Now I'm switching to more fitness oriented goals. I've also heard from others that now is the time to start planning for maintenance mode by upping your calories by a couple hundred. It seems counterintuitive because weight loss will obviously be slower but you're more likely to stick to it at this point.

Good luck on finishing your weight loss journey!
  • afroman2988
    afroman2988 Posts: 7 Member
    Similar situation here, struggling to lose the last 15lbs! I'm currently trying to switch goals, as my initial motivation was to look good/feel more confident and like you I'm already there. Now I'm switching to more fitness oriented goals. I've also heard from others that now is the time to start planning for maintenance mode by upping your calories by a couple hundred. It seems counterintuitive because weight loss will obviously be slower but you're more likely to stick to it at this point.

Good luck on finishing your weight loss journey!

Thank you!, what are some realistic fitness goals for somebody just getting into it all?

• afroman2988
    afroman2988 Posts: 7 Member
    kyucifer wrote: »
    Congratulations on your losses so far!

Not ever having had this experience, I don't know what would work, but maybe you're right when you say the thing that originally clicked for you is gone. Maybe you need something else. After 120 pounds, the reasons you want to lose weight have probably changed and evolved. I'd expect things like "fitting into clothes" and stuff like that might be less important now.

Something that is helping me right now is a list of reasons to lose weight that I have on my phone. I was totally and brutally honest and didn't censor myself at all when making this list. Maybe you should re-assess the reasons you want to lose those last 30 pounds. Make a new list so you can have a new goal and new purpose for the loss.

I believe this will help me out a lo I am going to make a list of this sorts. thank you very much

• smileyducky
    smileyducky Posts: 31 Member
    edited June 2017
    I've always been a terrible runner so right now my first goal is to finish couch to 5K, if you haven't heard of it before it's a very popular running app for beginners that focuses on walking/jogging splits that gradually get more difficult until you can complete a 5K without stopping

Editing to add that StrongLifts 5x5 is also a popular strength program if you want to start getting into lifting
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Wow congratulations!! I don't have any words of wisdom other than look at your before picture and tell yourself that you do not want to go back there again. I can't really relate as I am a fitness junkie and am always looking form my next thrill. I will be running my second half marathon in November. Have you thought about signing up for something that you have to train for such as a race (whether it be running or cycling or even a triathlon). Also , reassess your goals, maybe now is time to re-comp instead continue to lose. Don't let the number on the scale define you.

I second lifting weights!!!
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    edited June 2017
    Those last x number of pounds are s-l-o-w. Just be patient. Be very careful to be accurate and precise with logging your food. Your TDEE, your NEAT, your BMR, are lower now than when you weighed 350. The food you ate to lose weight 50 lb ago is too much food now.

You got into a habit of letting your exercise be the only calorie deficit you had. When you stopped the exercise, you were eating at maintenance. Soooo, log accurately and decide how you're going to proceed. Eat less, or exercise more. Either way, you have to log your food accurately.
  • Anaryne26
    Anaryne26 Posts: 23 Member
    edited June 2017
    After I lost the first 50 lbs, I basically took 9 months off, and just maintained. I really didn't log any food either, and after 9 months, I found that my weight had crept back up 10 lbs, and I definitely had lost all the toning and fitness I had gained. That 9 month break, and the few lbs and inches I put back on was enough to inspire me again to keep working toward my goals (which definitely have changed since I first started this journey).

Now, 2 1/2 months back at it, I'm 5 lbs or so from my original goal weight, and am much more concerned about my fitness level than the number on the scale.

It's ok to take breaks, eat at maintenance for a while, and readjust your goals. And make sure to keep reminding yourself on all you've accomplished so far! Losing 120 lbs is a huge accomplishment!

Love yourself and treat yourself well. Make new, small, achievable goals. As someone else mentioned, set a goal for something you've never been good at, and work toward accomplishing that. Mine currently is to get better at running hills. I've never been good at it, and I live in a hilly area. I'd like to be able to run a 5k competitively again, and if I run one where I live, there will be hills. So that's my small goal for now.

Congratulations on all you've achieved so far! Love and own your health; you've got this!