calories too low but eating 3 meals a day?

Options
NadNight
NadNight Posts: 794 Member
edited June 2017 in Food and Nutrition
I've been reading peoples posts about how they aren't eating enough calories per day and it got me thinking about my own so I started looking at my own eating habits and an average day would be as follows:
  • Breakfast- cornflakes with raspberries and a tsp honey (180 kcal) and a cup of tea (20 kcal)
  • Lunch- Half a pitta with lettuce and flavoured chicken (120kcal) with a tangerine (50kcal)and a yoghurt (50kcal from weightwatchers)
  • Snack- something like a little bag of party rings (90 kcal) and a cup of tea (20kcal)
  • Dinner- Courgetti and quorn meatballs with chopped tomatoes (around 200 kcal) with fruit for dessert, often pineapple (74kcal)

That all totals up to around 800 calories a day which seems very low but I'm eating three meals and snacks. I don't feel hungry and whilst my weight is dropping it's at a steady rate (I've lost 6 lbs in 10 weeks). My biggest worry with weight loss is that I'll get carried away or mess up my metabolism or just put it back on later in life.

Do I need to eat more?

Replies

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Short answer is yes, you do need to eat more. If you carry on doing this metabolic slowdown is the least of your concerns. Your overall protein and fat intake looks pretty low which can cause plenty of problems.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing all of your food?
  • NadNight
    NadNight Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing all of your food?

Yes or calculating according to the 'x amount of calories in x amount of meatballs' (for example)
  • publicjunkemails
    publicjunkemails Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    What are party rings?
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    What are party rings?

Ring shaped biscuits topped with colourful icing. Very sweet. I think they are probably a UK only thing.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    OP - eat more. Lunch, double that pitta up to a a full rather than half and for your evening meal aim to double the amount.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    That doesn't seem like a lot of protein or even fats. I'd eat more and concentrate on higher calorie foods.