Counting calories help!

Options
Hey everyone!

So I was wondering, has anyone on here actually lost weight from just counting calories and exercising? What I mean by that is that you ate whatever you wanted as long as you stayed under your caloric intake goal. I need some hope for the summer, I don't want to be too strict this summer in terms of clean eating because I want to leave that "I'll just eat all of this today and start tomorrow" mindset. Thank you!

Replies

• successleadstosuccess
    successleadstosuccess Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Omg @amtyrell, you just gave me so much hope!! Any tips? I'd love the freedom to not be restricted to a "diet".
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    yes - down 12lbs - focusing more on recomp now - I had ice cream for dinner last night
  • thomasegbert09
    thomasegbert09 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Personally, It all comes down to moderation and counting calories.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    A treat is not a cheat. That doesn't make it a diet staple. I've lost over 65 lbs keeping to a deficit, cutting back on portions, and eating what I want (which is often high-nutrient, occasionally high-calorie, always tasty) within my calories.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Sure. That's exactly how it works. I say this having done it several-many times over my 66 years -- 50+ of them overweight. If I stick to calories in less than calories out, I lose weight. I never stick to exercise. Slicing food to cook it is my recreation. My problem is stick-to-it-tive-ness -- the which I lack. Want a partially done dissertation anyone? Individual mis-matched quilt blocks? Partially knit scarves? No?

So what "magic diet/pill/exercise/supplement" works? None of 'em. It's all CICO and discipline. (Of course, a well balanced diet and exercise will make you feel better -- but it won't lose the weight for you.)
  • BelaLuGoGo
    BelaLuGoGo Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have found great success only eating food that I truly enjoy! I just eat less of it and make sure it fits in my calorie budget. It is so easy to burn out if you are only eating "diet food." It is totally unsustainable. I think a good way to look at your weight loss plan is to ask yourself, can I do/eat this forever and be happy? You'll have a much better transition when you go into maintaining your goal weight as well. Another thing I have noticed is I tend to prefer eating healthier foods (unprocessed, mostly vegetables and healthy fats), because I notice how much better I feel eating them! I will never say no to a good wine and fine cheese, though, just a smaller portion. Eating smaller portions of foods also makes you appreciate them more!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!