its my birthday..HELPcake:0

Options
this is my first birthday/big social eating day since beginning to diet... really hoping no one buys me chocolate as a present! also there will be cake-the thought of consuming pretty much half a days calorie allowence in one slice kinda annoys me-it seems like such a waste of calories!! how do u guys cope with those social eating days, i cant really say no thanks to thre cake seeing as its my birthday and my mum made it for me :S

Replies

• hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    I ( and most others) will tell you just to enjoy it. You can do little things like trying to take a smaller piece of cake, chocolate, whathaveyou, but don't beat yourself up if you happen to go over your calories.
  • Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    Options
    It's your Birthday! Enjoy yourself!

One meal on one day isn't going to cause a huge crash in your program or plan.
  • JeffGDDG
    JeffGDDG Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Happy birthday! Enjoy!
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Eat a small slice and enjoy it. Cake isn't as bad as you think. Celebrate what you've accomplished and how many extra birthdays you'll get by being healthy!
  • kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I'm with everyone else... enjoy it!!

Do a little more exercise this week, if you feel like you need to... but is that one piece of cake going to be more than 3500calories? Will it make you put on THAT much weight? Will you eat that piece of cake every day?

Did you answer no to all of the questions?

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    On MY birthday I will eat the cake - and enjoy it.....and start again tomorrow....

On any one else's birthday I might say " no thank you" - note the "may" depending on how good I have been ;-)
  • jolteon00
    jolteon00 Posts: 89
    Options
    You're right - it's your birthday, you can't NOT have cake! I, personally, took my birthday weekend off and gorged myself on everything I love, including a slice of the rum cake I made for myself, with as much butter and rum as it would allow haha. As far as I (and most of the people I talk to) am concerned, there are no calories on your birthday!

But! If you want to be good, you /can/ refuse to have the /biggest/ slice of cake. Have a small one, enjoy it slowly, and never feel guilty.
  • elly0001
    elly0001 Posts: 191
    Options
    thanks guys i guess one big eating day compared to months of dieting wont be a massive deal right? lol
  • Elleinnz
    Options
    And by the way - Happy Birthday - have a wonderful day :-)
  • sonalily
    sonalily Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    one tip, freeze the leftovers, and for a treat, when you allot the calories and would llike a treat, there is some left for ya
  • nikkimoon1382
    nikkimoon1382 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Make your birthday your free night for the week and exercise a little extra or plan your meals for the day around a big dinner. Just enjoy! Your birthday comes but once a year! (dance it off!!) Its not what you do one day, its what you do EVERY day. Get back on track the next day and have a very Happy birthday!!!
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    One time my MIL cut a chilled watermelon in half, stuck candles in it and it was a real hoot. Cold watermelon is so unexpected and great in the heat!
  • stc74
    stc74 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Birthday cake has no calories on the birthday, so enjoy yourself. Its finishing off the cake later that hurts. So enjoy today, let someone else have the leftovers :tongue:
    Or throw them out as soon as the guest leave so you won't eat it tomorrow.
  • peanut613
    peanut613 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    My birthday was about 2 weeks after joining MFP and I was so worried I'd do so bad and fall off before I got started!

I'd suggest trying to get in a good workout before your b-day celebration. Then, eat a small slice of cake later. If you go a little over your calories, so what! You have a year to make up for it before the next one rolls around :p

Don't stress! Remember moderation and enjoy!
  • elly0001
    Options
    I'm with everyone else... enjoy it!!

Do a little more exercise this week, if you feel like you need to... but is that one piece of cake going to be more than 3500calories? Will it make you put on THAT much weight? Will you eat that piece of cake every day?

Did you answer no to all of the questions?

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

yes u are totally right!

and thanks everyone for ur support and birthday wishes :)
  • vrodriguez87
    vrodriguez87 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    happy birthday =) enjoy your day!
  • Elleinnz
    Options
    Birthday cake has no calories on the birthday, so enjoy yourself.

Reminds me of my mother - she always used to say "food on a sunday does not make you fat" - but I think all those decadent sunday lunches has contributed a bit over the years to my waist line ;-)
  • Jenscan
    Jenscan Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I told my mom to make strawberry shortcake with angel food for my birthday "cake". That way it wasn't QUITE as guilt-inducing (but I still punished myself with a pretty severe workout that day).

You can still indulge, but sensibly.
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    Work out extra in the morning. Have some cake. These things will come up even after you reach your goal weight and special circumstances like this are to be enjoyed. Celebrate with your family! Just not too often :)
  • elly0001
    Options
    Yeah everything in moderation, thanks guys :)