5'2" Female Nutrition help

Options
232good
232good Posts: 92 Member
Hey All!
I am a bit confused on calorie intake. MFP has me set at 1200 due to set at sedentary but I've been exercising daily now after work. Today I walked a total of 7.5 miles (some straight up hills) and lots of calories burned im going to guess around 700 from the hike/walks. I have eaten 1850 calories today due to all the exercise and I'm not even over stuffed.. ha! (Because I don't really want to lose muscle or feel starving when I've earned more calories) Will it cause me to gain weight or how do I know how many calories to add back on days with tons of exercise and sweating? Any assistance and input is awesome! Thanks!

Replies

• pmyn29
    pmyn29 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    It's hard to estimate the calories actually burned while working out. 1800 doesn't seem like a ton though on a workout day, so you'll probably either maintain or lose a little slower. For reference I'm 5'5 and MFP says eat 1800 to lose 1lb/week
  • 232good
    Options
    I should add I'm 132 pounds
  • 232good
    Options
    pmyn29 wrote: »
    It's hard to estimate the calories actually burned while working out. 1800 doesn't seem like a ton though on a workout day, so you'll probably either maintain or lose a little slower. For reference I'm 5'5 and MFP says eat 1800 to lose 1lb/week

Okay thank you!
  • jcummings6
    jcummings6 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    If you can afford one, get a watch with a HR monitor to better gauge your calorie burn. You can get a rough estimate by adding your activity minutes directly into MFP but most say that the calorie burn can be off by a lot. You're already in a healthy weight range so in order to lose weight (if that's your goal) you will need to be able to track your calories as best you can. Get a food scale and weigh your foods, make sure what you log matches the nutritional facts on the labels, etc.

Also you mentioned not wanting to lose muscle. Nutritionists recommend eating 0.8 - 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight so that you lose fat and not muscle.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    the 1200cal maybe also be that you set a more aggressive weight loss goal (typically associated with a 2lb a week loss) - you may not need to go that low. I would keep what you are doing for a month, log and weight yourself - at the end of the month - readjust as required

for reference - 5'3" - I'm losing slowly on an avg of 2500cal a day - lightly active at work, but higher on the purposeful activity.

re: Keto/Paleo - you don't need to do this to lose weight or even change body comp - I'm down 3.5% BF in 4mths, eating 300+g of carbs a day (weight stable, to a very slight decrease)
  • 232good
    Options
    jcummings6 wrote: »
    If you can afford one, get a watch with a HR monitor to better gauge your calorie burn. You can get a rough estimate by adding your activity minutes directly into MFP but most say that the calorie burn can be off by a lot. You're already in a healthy weight range so in order to lose weight (if that's your goal) you will need to be able to track your calories as best you can. Get a food scale and weigh your foods, make sure what you log matches the nutritional facts on the labels, etc.

Also you mentioned not wanting to lose muscle. Nutritionists recommend eating 0.8 - 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight so that you lose fat and not muscle.

This was really helpful thank you!! Yes my goal is to lose more weight, to be more toned around 110. :)
  • 232good
    Options
    Sunna_W wrote: »
    I encourage you to look at food differently by thinking about high protein/fat/fiber and low carbs/sugar meal planning (Paleo or Ketogenic).

For a short time, consider changing your macros to 45% Protein, 40% Fat and 15% Carbs/Sugar.

See this website for a list: http://paleoiq.com/best-paleo-diet-blogs/

This will change your body composition so that you are maintaining muscle, burning body fat, and are using fat for energy.

Listen to your body. If you aren't hungry after exercising it's because your body is a fine tuned machine and it's getting what it needs.

Note: The Weston Price Foundation recommends 100 grams of carbs per day - I have lost the weight that I needed on Keto / Paleo and continue to eat these types of meals for breakfast and lunch (I hit ketosis about 2:30 or 3:00) but add a complex carb (usually potato / yams) in the evening meal to help with balancing bowel flora which can get mucked up w/o carbs.

Ref:

https://www.westonaprice.org/health-topics/abcs-of-nutrition/protein-building-blocks-of-the-body/
    https://www.westonaprice.org/health-topics/abcs-of-nutrition/saturated-fat-body-good/

Wow thank you so much for all this advice!
  • sunfastrose
    sunfastrose Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    232good wrote: »
    I encourage you to look at food differently by thinking about high protein/fat/fiber and low carbs/sugar meal planning (Paleo or Ketogenic).

For a short time, consider changing your macros to 45% Protein, 40% Fat and 15% Carbs/Sugar.

This will change your body composition so that you are maintaining muscle, burning body fat, and are using fat for energy.

Listen to your body. If you aren't hungry after exercising it's because your body is a fine tuned machine and it's getting what it needs.

Note: The Weston Price Foundation recommends 100 grams of carbs per day - I have lost the weight that I needed on Keto / Paleo and continue to eat these types of meals for breakfast and lunch (I hit ketosis about 2:30 or 3:00) but add a complex carb (usually potato / yams) in the evening meal to help with balancing bowel flora which can get mucked up w/o carbs.

Ref:

https://www.westonaprice.org/health-topics/abcs-of-nutrition/protein-building-blocks-of-the-body/
    https://www.westonaprice.org/health-topics/abcs-of-nutrition/saturated-fat-body-good/

The above is not necessary to lose weight. All that is needed is a consistent caloric deficit.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    How much weight are you trying to lose?
    What rate of loss did you select?
    Are you really Sedentary?

For most people, even petite females, you can lose weight at a moderate rate at a goal higher than 1200 cals. For what it's worth, I'm also 5'2 and started about 153 lbs. I set my goal at 1 lb/week and initially got that 1200 cal goal but started reading on these boards that most people don't need to go that low to lose. I raised my net goal to 1400, and I ate back all my exercise calories when estimated by MFP and then later with my FitBit. I later changed my goal to 0.5 lb/week when I had about 20 lbs to lose.
    I lost 30 lbs, and then about another 5 more, eating between 1600-1900 cals. I'm over 40 and have a desk job but I average 15k steps/day, so I'm definitely not Sedentary. I'm in maintenance now and my TDEE is 2200.

Good luck.
  • WinoGelato
    Options

Ref:

The above is not necessary to lose weight. All that is needed is a consistent caloric deficit.

Yes, this!
  • 232good
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

For most people, even petite females, you can lose weight at a moderate rate at a goal higher than 1200 cals. For what it's worth, I'm also 5'2 and started about 153 lbs. I set my goal at 1 lb/week and initially got that 1200 cal goal but started reading on these boards that most people don't need to go that low to lose. I raised my net goal to 1400, and I ate back all my exercise calories when estimated by MFP and then later with my FitBit. I later changed my goal to 0.5 lb/week when I had about 20 lbs to lose.
    I lost 30 lbs, and then about another 5 more, eating between 1600-1900 cals. I'm over 40 and have a desk job but I average 15k steps/day, so I'm definitely not Sedentary. I'm in maintenance now and my TDEE is 2200.

Good luck.

Hello!
    I am trying to lose about 25 pounds. I walk about 10k steps a day, with jogging every other day about 2.5 miles. I would love to lose 1-2lb per week!
  • WinoGelato
    Options

Good luck.

Hello!
    I am trying to lose about 25 pounds. I walk about 10k steps a day, with jogging every other day about 2.5 miles. I would love to lose 1-2lb per week!

With only 25 lbs to lose, you should aim for no more than 1 lb/week and really, 0.5 lb/week is more appropriate especially when you get below 20 lbs left. Losing more rapidly can result in loss of lean body mass which is likely not going to give you the body composition you are looking for.
  • 232good
    Options

Good luck.

Hello!

With only 25 lbs to lose, you should aim for no more than 1 lb/week and really, 0.5 lb/week is more appropriate especially when you get below 20 lbs left. Losing more rapidly can result in loss of lean body mass which is likely not going to give you the body composition you are looking for.

Okay thanks! So 1200-1500 calories a day should result in at least .5 lb a week is my guess. So I'll aim for Christmas to be at my goal weight