Normal hunger levels vs. Clearly need to eat more

Options
2»

Replies

• oat_bran
    oat_bran Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    It sounds like a craving vs Hunger. Play with your macros. Increase carbs/protein/fat percentage and try to figure out what your body is craving. Satiety has some relationship with macro and nutrient balance and everyone's is a little bit different.

For you it may be a handful of mixed nuts, or skittles, or crackers, etc. The great thing with those 100 calorie snack packs... oreo/potato chips/gummie bears/etc. is that if it's just a craving, 100 calories isn't going to throw your daily calories off. and once you figure out how to scratch that itch, you can do it with the minimal calories needed to provide satisfaction without setting off a binge.

I really doubt it's a craving. I don't really crave any particular food. I want just food in general. I don't really like junk foidod, so I want whole healthy foods generally. If I think of almonds, I want almonds. If I see bread, I want bread. Or porridge. Or fruit. Basically it's about the quality, not quality.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    For me I know its real hunger when I start feeling light headed and I have a lack of my usual energy.

• oat_bran
    Options
    I seem to be able to eat a meal and be hungry immediately after. I have had relentless hunger the last couple weeks and have overeaten on a few occasions. Enough occasions to put me at maintenance this week, so I'm experimenting with 100g fats, way lower carbs and protein to see if that helps. I'm a volume eater so a little nervous to see how this goes but I'm not married to any particular macro split, the numbers will always be the same in terms of total cals. I am really struggling with hunger lately.

I definitely noticed that different macro percentages can make a big difference in hunger levels. I realized that I need all macros in more or less equal proportions to feel satiated after meals. I also started to have snacks that are like that, too. So say inatead of just an apple, I'll have apple and peanut butter etc. And that has helped me a lot. So for a few weeks eating like that I feel full after meal and only experience sagnificant hunger 1hr begore my meals or so. But I still develop that deep seated hunger sensation after several weeks and it doesn't really pass irregardless of macro percentages. So I personally don't think any more fat or protein or fiber will change things much in my case. But I hope it helps you! Good luck!
  • laurenebargar
    laurenebargar Posts: 3,081 Member
    Options
    I found this to be really interesting and helpful.

OP I get the same way, and it seems like if I eat above my calorie goal once every few weeks it helps, which leads me to believe I may be under-eating. I have days where nothing fills me up, and im starving all day I never eat as far as to maintenance, I wasnt eating back my exercise calories, and now I am, but now my weight loss is stalled, probably from having more food in my system. Im going to continue to eat a portion of my exercise calories back for several weeks and see what changes happen. But we are going through the same thing, a few weeks after eating with my macros in good shape for a few weeks I just have days where I am starving (not literally).
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Did you ever share your stats, OP? Height, current weight, goal weight? It seems if you're currently eating 1700-2100 and losing as expected that you aren't significantly under-eating unless 1 lb/week is too aggressive for you at this stage.

You also don't mention how long you have been trying to run a deficit, but maybe this thread could be beneficial:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10481830/the-diet-break/p1
  • oat_bran
    Options
    try2again wrote: »
    Did you ever share your stats, OP? Height, current weight, goal weight? It seems if you're currently eating 1700-2100 and losing as expected that you aren't significantly under-eating unless 1 lb/week is too aggressive for you at this stage.

You also don't mention how long you have been trying to run a deficit, but maybe this thread could be beneficial:

5'2", about 130lbs. I'd like to lose another 15-20 pounds. I've been at this weight for almost a year, because everything I lose I gain back due to eating over my TDEE caused by this hunger. I tried lowering the daily deficit and I still eventually develop the deep hunger sensation, it just takes longer. So the result is always the same.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    oat_bran wrote: »
    try2again wrote: »

5'2", about 130lbs. I'd like to lose another 15-20 pounds. I've been at this weight for almost a year, because everything I lose I gain back due to eating over my TDEE caused by this hunger. I tried lowering the daily deficit and I still eventually develop the deep hunger sensation, it just takes longer. So the result is always the same.

How many feeding sessions does it take to satisfy the deep hunger?

Ultimately you may need to program a controlled overfeed/refeed into your monthly calorie allotment.

Binging isn't healthy, but if you've got a "cheat day" programmed in... with sufficient overcalories to satisfy the urge, but not so many that it derails your progress...

Otherwise, keep playing with your macros and pursuing a way to stay satisfied without triggering the urge.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    You talked about your ED history. Are you still seeing a therapist?

It might be helpful, even for a few sessions. You're within a healthy weight range, and trying to get to the lower side of it-- I'm sure you're aware that for people wired like us (I'm also in treatment, for AAN), dieting can kick off those thought patterns and behaviors again. Better to see someone now, and get on top of it, than to end up in this constant cycle.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I can tell the difference when it impacts my recovery time, my sleep, and general energy level.

If I go a week or so and I'm constantly feeling run down, wanting to drop off to sleep as soon as I sit down at night and take longer than a day to recover from my regular runs with no other explanation, then I can be pretty sure I'm not getting enough food.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    You talked about your ED history. Are you still seeing a therapist?

It might be helpful, even for a few sessions. You're within a healthy weight range, and trying to get to the lower side of it-- I'm sure you're aware that for people wired like us (I'm also in treatment, for AAN), dieting can kick off those thought patterns and behaviors again. Better to see someone now, and get on top of it, than to end up in this constant cycle.

Yeah, I'm bowing out here too. I have no knowledge about EDs, but all along I was wondering if it might be more of a psychological issue. Plus, you are already at a healthy BMI. Wish you the best though, OP :)
  • sak20011
    sak20011 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I think you should consider a smaller deficit--you dont have much weight to lose (if any). What if the extra 240 calories each day was a 'treat' so you dont feel deprived? I also think that the days that you're going over your TDEE are telling you something--maybe that you need more calories, or less dieting. Dieting can trigger ED habits. If restriction, etc, is causing you to think about bingeing, better off eating more. And if you're seeing a therapist maybe they can help you figure out whether what you're feeling is psychological, physiological or both.