Loose weight without exercise?

Has anyone been to loose weight without any exercise while counting calorie for a week? / a month? / 3 months etc?

Is it slow or fast loss weight without exercise?

How long it took you to loose weight for? :)

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    The way MFP is set up you can lose 100% of your weight without exercise, and many have done so
  • tropiz9
    tropiz9 Posts: 54 Member

Thank for send me this article! So interesting information! :)
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    You lose weight by being in a calorie deficit. Some people choose to create that calorie deficit with exercise. But you don't have to have exercise. You only have to have a calorie deficit.
  • bribucks
    bribucks Posts: 431 Member
    edited June 2017
    How you eat is much more important than exercise. You can 100% lose weight based on eating - it's all about the calories.

That being said, for body composition, exercise is helpful, especially as you near your goal weight. As you lose weight, you don't want to also lose muscle! Exercise (lifting) is what ensures there will be lean muscle underneath after you burn the fat off. While you can't burn fat/lose weight in a specific targeted area of your body, with exercise, you can build muscle in specific areas and therefore alter the composition of your body, to a degree. After all, isn't it more about being healthy & liking how you look, more than just a number on the scale? Something to think about.

To elaborate further, you may have heard the saying that muscle "takes up less room" than fat does. 150 lbs of fat vs 150 lbs of muscle will look very different. The same weight, but lots of people experience inches of difference, even different pant sizes! (I am just beginning to add weights to my routine, so I don't have any personal stories to share.)

So no, you don't need to exercise, especially if you are just starting out. But exercise will help you lose weight more quickly (combined with proper eating) and will make you healthier overall. It's up to you.
  • Princessarkyn
    Princessarkyn Posts: 9 Member
    I lost a total of 35lbs mostly without exercise. You can totally do it! I will say though, you might lose a lot of muscle doing it that way. Like the weight number will go down but u might still be soft and fluffy. I recommend strength training to maintain low body fat ratio.
  • smileyducky
    smileyducky Posts: 31 Member
    I lost 40lbs without exercise. It took me about a year because I wasn't as dedicated as I could have been, but that's life. You're not always perfect. Now that I'm in the home stretch (10-15lbs more until my goal weight) I'm adding in more exercise
  • tropiz9
    I lost 40lbs without exercise. It took me about a year because I wasn't as dedicated as I could have been, but that's life. You're not always perfect. Now that I'm in the home stretch (10-15lbs more until my goal weight) I'm adding in more exercise

Wow! It amazing loss! Well done! you should be proud of yourself! Yeah agree, nobody is never always perfect. Cool, keep going :)
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,221 Member
    Lost 30lbs without exercise. But I hope you can see why. Because fat is stored when you eat more calories than you burn (and you burn by just existing). And fat is lost when you eat less calories than you burn.
    This is how (all) weight loss happens regardless of the particular diet.
  • sunabove
    sunabove Posts: 94 Member
    Hi. Yes I did lose 11kg...taking me about 10mths. I wasn't 100%dedicated all of the time.
    Unfortunately I did put it back on....so started my weight loss journey again.
  • tropiz9
    gebeziseva wrote: »
    Lost 30lbs without exercise. But I hope you can see why. Because fat is stored when you eat more calories than you burn (and you burn by just existing). And fat is lost when you eat less calories than you burn.
    This is how (all) weight loss happens regardless of the particular diet.

It amazing loss! Well done!
    Mine 1,300 calories a day and sometime in the end I would save less than 30 calories under or almost equal eother. I'll find out my first week weight in tomorrow morning :)

• tropiz9
    sunabove wrote: »
    Hi. Yes I did lose 11kg...taking me about 10mths. I wasn't 100%dedicated all of the time.
    Unfortunately I did put it back on....so started my weight loss journey again.

Cool.. it's good loss without exercise! You can do this time and be postive! I have my first week weight in tomorrow morning :)
  • lahe64
    lahe64 Posts: 1 Member
    I lost 35 pounds without exercise in 12 months but I was VERY dedicated to counting calories and eating right. The only problem was I had flabby arms, cottage cheese legs and a flabby belly!!! I am now on a different journey of weight loss to be fit and healthy. In the end, it is all up to what you want. I work out now 4 days a week with cardio and weights. I am on my 4th week and I love how I feel!!!
  • tropiz9
    lahe64 wrote: »
    I lost 35 pounds without exercise in 12 months but I was VERY dedicated to counting calories and eating right. The only problem was I had flabby arms, cottage cheese legs and a flabby belly!!! I am now on a different journey of weight loss to be fit and healthy. In the end, it is all up to what you want. I work out now 4 days a week with cardio and weights. I am on my 4th week and I love how I feel!!!

It's so good loss in 12 months! You should be proud of yourself! Hate this happen lol. If i success lose 14 pounds or more then I will have a light exercise. Good for you! Well done! Keep going :)
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    You absolutely can but stats show that people who exercise are more likely to keep it off in the long run and even something as easy as walking can take the edge off a deficit so you can have a little extra wiggle room.
  • jordandills
    jordandills Posts: 103 Member
    I lost 115 in just over a year, and counting. I have exercised a bit and have upped it more in the past month or so, but honestly 80-90% of my loss has come from pure calorie deficit through changing my diet. I'm adding in exercise now more to be fitter and build muscle, not to continue the loss.
  • tropiz9
    ogtmama wrote: »
    You absolutely can but stats show that people who exercise are more likely to keep it off in the long run and even something as easy as walking can take the edge off a deficit so you can have a little extra wiggle room.

Fab! I won't leave it longtime without exercise... I'll workout every time if I'm success loss 7 to 14 pounds each :)
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    tropiz9 wrote: »

Fab! I won't leave it longtime without exercise... I'll workout every time if I'm success loss 7 to 14 pounds each :)

I suggest leaving it until you need room for a brownie ;)
  • mrk34
    mrk34 Posts: 227 Member
    You don’t have to exercise to lose weight. I lost 91 pounds without exercise. I didn't count calories, either. It was fast.
  • tropiz9

I suggest leaving it until you need room for a brownie ;)

Lol...