Please stop calling it a "cheat meal!"

Replies

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Am I the only one that found this odd?
    As humans, we are not meant to eat the same number of calories every single day of our lives. It's not normal, it is not natural.

Two things:

1) It may not be normal or natural, but it's not abnormal or unnatural, either.
    2) We generally won't do that, anyway, regardless if there's a cheat meal or not - especially here on MFP. Here, we'd typically (although, not if using a TDEE method of weight management) eat exercise Cals earned, which would likely be different from day to day, especially if it were a rest day. Additionally, if not using MFP (or some other Calorie tracker), people would often eat more if exercising anyway.

So, it seems to be irrelevant on at least two fronts, if not completely accurate in the first place.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    TR0berts wrote: »
    Am I the only one that found this odd?
    As humans, we are not meant to eat the same number of calories every single day of our lives. It's not normal, it is not natural.

Two things:

1) It may not be normal or natural, but it's not abnormal or unnatural, either.
    2) We generally won't do that, anyway, regardless if there's a cheat meal or not - especially here on MFP. Here, we'd typically (although, not if using a TDEE method of weight management) eat exercise Cals earned, which would likely be different from day to day, especially if it were a rest day. Additionally, if not using MFP (or some other Calorie tracker), people would often eat more if exercising anyway.

So, it seems to be irrelevant on at least two fronts, if not completely accurate in the first place.

Yeah, I count calories every single day and I never eat the same amount of calories. My Fitbit adjustments are slightly different each day and even if they were not, I naturally go over and days and under others and it all balances out within the context of the week.

So even if it was true that we were not "meant" to eat the same number of calories each day, even people who avoid "cheat meals" are usually going to be varying their calories.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,489 Member
    IMO, if you're reaching your weekly goal, how the hell is that cheating?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    I call mine a "Splurge" meal. But most call it a "cheat" meal. So if I want to do a search on the net I will get more from searching the word 'cheat'. Just the way it is. Kinda like the word 'tone' and the word muscle :p blah
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    I think calling them cheat meals/days helps some people feel more in control of their eating. A "cheat" (or "treat" or whatever you want to call it) meal/day can allow a person to understand that whether planned or not one meal/day won't negate the work they've previously put into their weight loss efforts. Going back to their routine afterwards, seeing some weight gain due to eating more/different food than they're used to, then watching that weight dissipate over a week or so and their normal losing pattern start again can be both informative and reassuring.

I don't have a specific name for when I eat over my calorie limit and I don't consciously try to make up for the overage (although often I'm less hungry and feel more energized the next day or so and think I've reached a point where I tend to naturally regulate). I weigh myself every day and take notice of the ups and downs, but I understand that even gaining a couple of lbs on a long vacation has no meaning in the long run.
  • BurgerLovinBulker
    BurgerLovinBulker Posts: 38 Member
    If you've committed yourself to a diet plan in order to lose weight and you decide to throw it aside for one meal/one day/whatever, then you have cheated on the diet plan, it's really that simple.
    Call a spade a spade, why hide from what you're doing? Do you want someone to congratulate you for failing to stick to your resolve?
    Then next time you're about to cheat, ask yourself do you really want to stay fat?

I completely agree. After my first cheat meal I was hesitant, looking at the scale the next morning. After my second I was committed to maintaining the 'mental fortitude', so to speak.
  • Fitness_and_FODMAP
    Fitness_and_FODMAP Posts: 72 Member
    I agree ... You're not taking an exam or doing something behind a person's back, so what or who exactly are you cheating on!?!
  • vnb_208
    vnb_208 Posts: 1,359 Member
    I have maintenance days :)

second that ! I try to do a maintenance day once every 2 months or so
  • kyubeans
    kyubeans Posts: 135 Member
    I think people will do what they have to, and call it what they have to.

You make a good point though, OP. I have been dieting almost all my adult life and have always referred to it as a "cheat" meal. But now I'm all-in on the "it's a lifestyle change, not a diet!" thing so calling it a "cheat" meal didn't feel right to me. I am now referring to it as Indulgences. It reminds me that indulgences are ok but they're not meant to be all day everyday.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Troll posting in MFP...

Who would of thunk?
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    kavahni wrote: »
    Can I get an amen?
    Food sustains us. Food delights us. Food bedevils us. But food is what powers our bodies. As humans, we are not meant to eat the same number of calories every single day of our lives. It's not normal, it is not natural. Allowing ourselves to eat the wonderful things that we love is not "Cheating." We are not bad.
    Just sayin'.

No amen for me.

I track all I eat, whether it is a cheat meal or a low calorie meal. My cheat meal I look forward to weekly. I can have my cake and eat it. Cheese. Chicken wings. Pork Belly. Ice cream! Knowing I can have my cheat meal each Saturday keeps my cravings under control.

A cheat meal is not bad, it is simply eating something you don't normally allow yourself to eat. I think the question is rather why the term upsets you so much you have to make a post about it? Do you have any underlying food or cheating issues?
  • lucypstacy
    lucypstacy Posts: 178 Member
    Honestly, I don't worry too much what people call something. It might feel more comfortable for them.

I actually haven't gone over my calories yet, although I figure I will at some point.