Gastric Bypass...

Options

Replies

• landorki
    landorki Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I opted for Lap-band... I too used to think it was a last resort. Then, I needed a last resort. Sometimes, medical conditions, and just plain size can really hinder you from losing weight on your own. I was always able to lose weight on my own, but it kept coming back... and that is what really hurt my body, the yo-yo of it all.

I have PCOS which makes it very difficult to lose weight and very easy to gain weight. It is all with the hormones in your body... sometimes, it's just not about diet and exercise... sometimes there is alot more to it.
  • Waynes_World
    Waynes_World Posts: 333
    Options
    I had the lap band surgery last November and it was the best gift I have given myself.. It in noway is the easy way out.. If you are not ready to commit to lifestyle changes all diets will fail no matter what path you may take. You must consider what is right for you and think if through. I would suggest going to support meeting that WLS patients have and hearing first hand what problems or success people have.. There are people who hate WLS and talk **** about it that dont have a clue about it and it pisses me off really. No matter what path anyone takes to try and gain life back and enjoy a healthy lifestyle .. It should be supported .. If you can do it without the surgery that is awesome..

I wish you the best of luck !!!
  • Waynes_World
    Waynes_World Posts: 333
    Options
    t.

I have very little sympathy....and I'm sure I'll get screamed at...but it's my honest opinion...it's not like you woke up one day and was so obese that you needed to have it.
    [/quote

No one needs your sympathy.. Support would be nice

Some people have been obese almost there entire life and it is struggle to overcome this.. On the other hand it's not like some people woke one day and decided to be a**holes .. They just are !
  • Tuffjourney
    Tuffjourney Posts: 971
    Options
    I didnt have it. But, I would never ever think that having weight loss surgery as a easy way out. Surgery is very risky and not easy.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,385 Member
    Options
    Thank you everybody ur opinions have all helped me in one way or another. I could definetly not do it no matter what crossed my mind... Stupid as it sounds i would be more scared of the extra skin then the side effects. Lol.

Excess skin can be an issue weather you have surgery or not. It depend on age, how long you have been obese and how fast you lose the weight. If you have been obese a long time you will have excess skin.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    The suggestion from Wayne to attend support group meetings is very good advice indeed. And you need to attend more than one to get the full picture. If you do this you will see there is nothing easy about WLS. I went to support group meetings 3 years before deciding to have WLS. It is a very good and useful tool if you follow the guidelines. Notice I said IF. Just as many have stated already it greatly depends on your complience to the programs set out for you by your surgical team.

It is definitely not a cure all and you still have to do the head work. If this is not done and you do not comply, weight gain is surely going to be a possible outcome. Statics still show that people who have had WLS have kept off more weight than those that don't. I am not going to go any further on this other than to say it is important that you do YOUR OWN research to make an informed decision on weather WLS is for you or not.
  • kmcgrath1
    kmcgrath1 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I used to be totally against it and thought that only people who wanted the easy way out had surgery. Until my sister had it done.

Wow...what she went through. She was on high blood pressure meds, diabetic, had knee and ankle surgery and she was only 43. I think she totally screwed up her metabolism from doing Atkins for so many years.

In the prep stages of the surgery, she had many months of pre-op appts and counseling. Learning to eat right basically. She had the surgery in Sept, and she is now down 80 lbs and 10 lbs from her goal weight. Once she was cleared for exercise, she worked her butt off, she works out 5-6 days a week and now has started running. Something she could never do. She also eats very well. Her skin actually toned up nicely due to the amount of exercise she is doing. She sill has to see the Doc every few months and for a few years too. But since the surgery and weightloss, she is no longer on blood pressure meds and she reversed the diabetes from changing her eating habits too and for that I'm grateful.

Now I have seen it where they have the surgery and don't change anything and end up gaining it back. I think the most important thing is that it is not a solution. It's a tool...just a more drastic tool. It still comes down to diet and exercise.
  • aimeeturner
    aimeeturner Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    my next door neighbor, a ret.d Dr point blank once said " If you don't have to get operated on, DONT............

He has about 50 years of experience, so I am liking what he says...........if its life pending, yeah, but if you dont have to, try it with out........I did, lost 145 lbs and never felt better.I took my time, patience was my new middle name and I plateaued 3 different times, but everytime I lost a pound , it did something for my confidence

I agree with Lloyd. It takes years to put on a lot of weight, so it will take some time to get it off. But I believe that a lifestyle change is what it takes. It is a life-long commitment. Until a person is ready to make that kind of permanent change in their diet and exercise habits, nothing is going to really change. It is not easy. It takes sacrifice and determination. I don't recommend the surgeries unless it is a life-threatening situation.
  • robinso5
    robinso5 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    HeatherBELLE is there a like button! I need one for your post! I so agree with your suggestions. I feel that surgery is for people who are severely obese and fortunately that doesnt fit her!
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    People who think getting surgery is the easy way out simply are ignorant on the topic and do not know what they are talking about. Period. It takes a LOT of prep-work (6-months+ of doctor supervised dieting, etc...yes you still have to try to lose weight before you have the surgery), plus a special diet prior to surgery, lots of doctors visits, etc. That's before you even GET the surgery.

Post surgery is a VERY restricted diet, and you have to follow the program very closely. My mother had the lap band put in (she lost a lot of weight on her own earlier in life, but gained it back after knee injury and subsequent surgery that made it worse), but even after 2 years of having it in, still struggles w/ trying to eat too much or eating stuff that isn't compatible (certain foods get stuck and then you have to purge to relieve the pain). She's lost 100 pounds though so it was the right choice for her.

The only advice I have is to make sure you're well informed and are prepared to stick with the restricted program. Good luck in your decision.
  • gustafae
    gustafae Posts: 6
    Options
    Thank you, that was so helpful. I keep looking for people to talk about it with because I am planning on having it done. I just started this whole journey for lack of a less used word, and the doctor said it was wise to speak with others who have had the surgery.
  • gustafae
    gustafae Posts: 6
    Options
    I am planning on having the procedure done. I keep dieting and I try to exercise but I have some kind of breathing issue and as soon as I get worked up I start coughing uncontrollably and hyperventilating. It even happens when I laugh too much, it actually completely sucks. I can't even swim as much as I want to and that has always been one of my favorite things to do. I had been on antidepressants since childhood that made me tired all of the time, so I burned of even less calories. I used to be able through dieting and kinda slow exercising work weight from holidays off and I was doing pretty good for a while and then I had two back to back pregnancies and I keep trying and trying...I am starting to cry...and I keep trying to do yoga and pilates, exercise bikes, walking, swimming, I am doing that caveman style diet where you eat mainly grilled meat and veggies and I got 35lbs off in about 10 months but I weigh 325 now, I gained back 6lbs. I am having symptoms of diabetes, I have had high blood pressure since my first pregnancy that decided to stick around. My liver is all messed up now with no reason why, it just isn't doing its job very well and I have had maybe 12 alcoholic beverages in my life. I am thirty and I have to get the weight off. it just doesn't want to come off and stay off. I finally decided that this may be the right choice for me. I have 6 months of preliminary stuff to change my mind. I just can't keep doing this until I die, I do not want my kids to think being this overweight is okay. I have never been okay with it. It is a difficult decision to make, I am not a lazy person, I wake up at about 7:30 am every morning with my kids they watch sesame street while I make a healthy breakfast for them. We go down stairs I do Yoga and Pilates tapes, maybe go for a walk depending on the weather. I am quite active with them through the day. At night I watch a little Tv I brush my teeth right after dinner so everything tastes disgusting to deter me from snacking. and the process repeats itself.
  • MAG2010
    MAG2010 Posts: 30
    Options
    You DO want a surgeon who will make you go thru all the pre surgery requirements. If they don't....find someone else because it really is an important step in the process. I definitely *****ed about them at the time. The constant meetings with the nutritionist and pyschologist, support groups and behavioral eating classes. I had thought about the surgery for 4 years and now that I was finally ready I was just so anxious to get it done. But now I realize how important that stuff was. Recognizing head hunger vs. physical hunger, recognizing what my soft full signals are, understanding the consequences of not listening to your body...it's all part of the journey and part of HOW to best use the band.
  • phinners
    phinners Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Its a bit different here, many of us dont qualifiy on our NHS so we save up and go private.

I went abroad for my surgery, you book, pay, turn up and have surgery. I didnt do all this counselling and therapy or any of that stuff. It's not really done over here as a private patient abroad. I spent about 5 yrs researching it, and then had it done. I dont even think there are any support groups around this area?
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine had it, and is doing phenomenal! She wasn't very large (she's only about 5' tall, though), but her excess weight was affecting her health. Her blood glucose was out of control before, and she needed a c-pap machine at night. No matter what she ate or how much she exercised, it made no difference. Now, she's the picture of health. I'm so proud of her and happy for her!

On the other hand, I had a friend who died from complications from her procedure. That was devastating.
  • Gary6030
    Gary6030 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Gary6030

Please read my blog and see if it helps you out. It's not a cure it's a tool. To date I've lost 182lbs in 21 months and I"m 54 lbs from my 210 weight loss goal. I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for the surgery and MFP. It will change you life in ways you cannot imagine good and bad. Good is obvious, the bad is not. If you can't fix what is broken the surgery will only be a bandaid. I told myself the next day after surgery that my love affair with food was over. All of my friendships were based around eating. Its been hard but they are no longer my friends because I want to jog, bike and exercise now and go hiking. They wanna eat and play cards and be negative. I love them but no room for that in my life now! Feel free to friend me I'd love to talk more with you.

Also come and check out my August Challenge!
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/299772-team-challenge-beginning-august-1st-open-to-all

Its open until tomorrow night and then it closes down!
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    Good morning!

I personally have never had weight loss surgery, but my dad and my brother both had gastric bypass surgery several years ago (I think my brother was in 2002 and my dad in 2003). They have had mixed results.

I know this post is a lot of personal stuff about my family, but I feel that it's important to be shared so that you can see both sides of the coin.

Perhaps due to my brother's young age when he had gastric bypass (he was 32), he has done pretty well overall. He was pretty big, I think over 400 pounds, and at his smallest he was around 190. He's about 6'1" or 6'2", so for him that was pretty skinny. He only got down to that weight by doing no/low-carb dieting. Obviously he lost a lot of weight right off the bat due to calorie restriction, but his weight fluctuates a LOT. His weight goes up to around 250 if he stops watching what he eats (which isn't huge for him but still a little heavy), and then he goes gangbusters on no/low-carb and gets back to where he should be. In the past couple of years he's tried to do more of a South Beach Diet version of low-carb rather than, say, Atkins, which I think is a little healthier because it focuses on healthy fats and fiber rather than just eating as much fat as you want and keeping out all carbs (though I know Atkins has sort of revamped itself in recent years to be healthier, too). The downside for him is that he's had a lot of stomach issues, such as ulcers, and is now on daily prescription medications for that. He also had gallstones a couple of years ago and had his gall bladder removed, though I'm not sure if that would have happened if he hadn't had the surgery and/or changed his diet. He also has a lot of excess skin that he would have removed if he could afford to do it. I've seen him in shorts but have not seen him shirtless in 9 years. (Not that I go around looking for my shirtless brother, but you know what I mean - he never takes his shirt off at the beach or the pool or anything.)

My dad's gastric bypass road has been a little rockier. My dad isn't as tall as my brother (maybe 5'10" or 5'11"), and obviously was much older when he had it done (in his mid-50s). He was also quite heavy, I think in the high 300s, and did well initially with the weight loss. However, my dad was the type of guy who would have been content to eat himself to death and had no interest in getting the surgery until he was encouraged by people outside of our family (his partners with whom he's worked for over 30 years). He would not eat all day long, then we'd go out to dinner, and he would literally order two meals and eat both, along with appetizers, plus he would drink several pilsners of beer. After the surgery, I think he got depressed over his inability to eat and drink like he used to, plus he had the same stomach issues as my brother (ulcers and such), so he started drinking white wine. A lot. He could not drink beer or red wine anymore, and hard liquor is too hard on his stomach. So basically he's become a somewhat depressed functional alcoholic - what I mean by this is that he's not the kind of alcoholic who can't get out of bed without a drink but who gets through most of the day without drinking, then goes crazy with the wine. He definitely drank a little too much prior to the surgery, but I think removing one of his favorite pleasures made him turn to the alcohol even more than before. Anyway, he still doesn't eat much overall, but wine is fairly calorie dense, so he's still not a little guy, though definitely not as big as before.

I think you are better off losing weight the "old-fashioned way," since it doesn't cost thousands of dollars and involve surgery, nevermind removes (or reduces) the risk of the future physical and psychological side effects. Losing weight this way does not mean you will never be able to eat a steak again if you want to - gastric bypass does. You just need to realize that having that steak you really want, for example, cannot be a regular thing.

And if you do decide to go for the surgery, make sure you understand 100% what is really involved pre- and post-surgery so that your head is in the right place. Go to support groups and talk to people who've had it done, and not just recently. Personally I have never been so heavy that surgery like that would even be an option, but even with the "lesser" surgeries, such as lap-band, I'd rather have mental *and* physical control over my eating so that if I want a bit of chocolate cake I can have a bit of chocolate cake once in a while to keep me mentally happy. Does that make sense?

Well, best wishes to you, whatever route you take!
  • AmandaR910
    AmandaR910 Posts: 991
    Options
    I have a friend who got it after 2 years of supervised weight loss attempts and a long battle. It's been three years now, she looks AWESOME and recently had a baby. She's in her 20s.She's very committed to the way she has to eat now though, and I think that's why she's so successful.
  • MzPix
    MzPix Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    This is an option I have been considering lately.

I've always been a little bit plump (between 125-150 most of my adult life). At about 28 I slowly started gaining more despite no real change in diet or activity level and gained up to 180-190. By age 30 I was around 200. Each year since then I've gradually gained about 10 pounds or so. I can amp up my activity level so I'm burning 1500 calories a day and taking in less than 2000 and I will manage to lose about 2-5 pounds a month, but that wears me out after a few months. I just can't keep up with such a demanding way of losing such a small amount. But any routine less demanding yields me weight GAIN instead.
    I've tried all of the diets. I've gone to all the clubs. I took the weight loss pills and permanently damaged my heart valves. I've done WW, JC, SBD, NS. I've put out probably 5-10thousand dollars over the past decade on weight loss scams, gym memberships, equipment, and services.

I'm 37 now and around 235-240. I have a personal trainer, a nutritionist, and I go to the gym or jogging every day. I have high blood pressure, PCOS, emphysema, and I'm pre-diabetic. I'm on 9 pills a day just to stabilize my health conditions. I work 2 professional jobs, attend school, and do volunteer work several times a week. It's not like I'm just sitting at home snarfing cupcakes all day or living a gamer lifestyle. I very rarely have time to even watch a movie.

This month alone I've worked with a personal trainer 8 times, been to the gym 6 days a week for a minimum of an hour, did both strength and cardio and did pretty good keeping my calories below my target each day here on MFP. I'm a vegetarian. I don't eat out very often. I NEVER eat deep fried fast food. I don't drink soda pop at all. I barely drink any alcohol. I do meditative yoga before bed.

Total weight loss this month as of yesterday was 1 pound.

1 pound loss in a month.
    This is very typical for me.
    At that rate, it would take me almost 10 YEARS to get down to the weight my doctor recommends.
    I can very well see how weight loss surgery might end up an option I choose.

Weight-loss is NOT the cal-in/cal-out numbers game that some would like to simplify it.

There is a stigma in my small town associated with weight loss surgery. It is referred to as the "cheat surgery" and those who decide to get it are deemed slackers. And although it isn't really vocalized, it is highly insinuated that those who get the surgery are not only lazy but also ignorant. *They must not understand how detrimental it is to their body for surely if they understood, they wouldn't do it.* They are also considered users because a good portion of them use government funding of various sorts to pay for the surgery.
    Most of those in this area who have had WLS don't come to my gym. When they do, I can hear other people banter behind their backs. They make fun of them and criticize them. Along with losing weight, they also lose a little bit of reputation.

But you know what, if they had remained obese, they probably would have been made fun of and criticized for being fat.

The after effects are kind of weird too. My sister and 4 of my good friends have had WLS. Out of the 5, 4 of them became really mean and conceited people afterward. I still remain friends with 1. The others became snobby, self-centered, and just as judgmental as the people who had insulted them. I was sad that I lost them as friends, but they didn't become "better" than me just because they lost the weight.

-
    This whole thing is a complicated topic because it is intertwined with issues of the media portrayal of beauty, economics, politics, reputation, self-image, healthcare, tolerance & acceptance, self-determinism, body integrity rights, social interaction, etc. etc. etc.

That's a lot of complex concepts to sort through.

I'm surprised anyone thinks they have it so figured out that they can offer one-liner opinions on the topic.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    There is a stigma in my small town associated with weight loss surgery. It is referred to as the "cheat surgery" and those who decide to get it are deemed slackers. And although it isn't really vocalized, it is highly insinuated that those who get the surgery are not only lazy but also ignorant. *They must not understand how detrimental it is to their body for surely if they understood, they wouldn't do it.* They are also considered users because a good portion of them use government funding of various sorts to pay for the surgery.
    Most of those in this area who have had WLS don't come to my gym. When they do, I can hear other people banter behind their backs. They make fun of them and criticize them. Along with losing weight, they also lose a little bit of reputation.

But you know what, if they had remained obese, they probably would have been made fun of and criticized for being fat.

The after effects are kind of weird too. My sister and 4 of my good friends have had WLS. Out of the 5, 4 of them became really mean and conceited people afterward. I still remain friends with 1. The others became snobby, self-centered, and just as judgmental as the people who had insulted them. I was sad that I lost them as friends, but they didn't become "better" than me just because they lost the weight.

-
    This whole thing is a complicated topic because it is intertwined with issues of the media portrayal of beauty, economics, politics, reputation, self-image, healthcare, tolerance & acceptance, self-determinism, body integrity rights, social interaction, etc. etc. etc.

That's a lot of complex concepts to sort through.

I'm surprised anyone thinks they have it so figured out that they can offer one-liner opinions on the topic.
    WLS would be a good option for you too if you lose weight that slowly because that is the major benefit of WLS. You can lose a lot of weight quickly and then it is up to you to stay committed to what it takes to keep the weight off.

Yes relationships do change and if you are considering WLS you will have to develop a wall to block out all of the negativity around you and forget about what people are saying. I bet you a million dollars that the friends you are no longer friends with got bad vibes from you and others and said screw you all because they did something healthy for them and they are not going to be ashamed ot it or sorry they did something that helped them. Sorry about your friendships but I bet they are still the same people deep down and they did what they had to do to survive. Many would say the same of me too and yes I have changed for the better. Many of my friends were not able to accept the NEW me and so I let them go. There is another side to the story and I bet your friends are in survival mode. If you think you will lose 100 pounds and not change and become somewhat selfish then that is very unrealistic. I wish you the best.