Evening snack...fruit?

I often have fruit for an evening snack to take the edge off of filling hungry such as cherries, grapes, etc.

Should I switch it up and start eating a different type snack? Any recommendations? TIA:)

Replies

• CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    If it is satisfying you then stick with it. Just remember that fruit calories count also so don't forget to add them. Cherries can add up quickly!
  • highwood125
    highwood125 Posts: 31 Member
    I am just thinking about maybe choosing somethinglower in carbs, even a small piece of cheese or boiled egg.
  • kpkitten
    kpkitten Posts: 164 Member
    Fruit wouldn't take the edge off hunger for me. I'd either add full fat Greek yogurt or have a cheesestring or nuts instead.
    But if fruit fills you up, you probably don't need to change.
  • highwood125
    highwood125 Posts: 31 Member
    I noticed that it is not always that satisfying and I get a lot of fruit and vegetables thru the day anyway. Like today I have already had about three cups of a tossed salad with a variety of veggies in it, plus I ate one cut up red pepper and had some cherries after lunch. I am just thinking of maybe switching it up a little...having something with more substance so to speak.
  • Muana1005
    Muana1005 Posts: 172 Member
    A fresh apricot with cottage cheese helps me to take the edge off.
  • born_of_fire74
    born_of_fire74 Posts: 776 Member
    edited June 2017
    I often eat a small piece (90cals) of cheese before bed because I find it more satiating than any fruit for that amount of calories.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    If you enjoy it, keep eating it. You might even want to up the nutritional ante a bit with a sprinkle of flax, a splash of kefir, berries with chia pudding, or add a scoop of plain Greek yogurt.
  • dlkfox
    dlkfox Posts: 463 Member
    I'd recommend popcorn. It makes a great volume snack.
  • Amerek412
    Amerek412 Posts: 74 Member
    I'm a late night snacker and get a sweet tooth an hour or 2 after dinner. I get the Yasso bars, which are frozen Greek yogurt popsicles. They are only 100 calories and have some protein in there, are surprisingly delishious, and they actually satisfy my hankering for a snack. There are a few different flavors, my favorite being the cookies n cream and the salted caramel
  • lplanck4
    lplanck4 Posts: 7 Member
    Halo Top Ice Cream is a great snack too. The flavors range from 180-320 calories per whole pint. They tast wonderful and help with the sweet tooth at night. And their gluten free and low carbs. :)
  • smileyducky
    smileyducky Posts: 31 Member
    If you're not finding fruit very satisfying maybe try a protein shake? I like optimum nutrition gold standard chocolate, its a bit pricey but taste is night and day compared to my old cheap grocery store protein powder. Half a scoop and half a cup of 1% milk tastes crazy good with 18g protein and 110 cals. If I more calories to spare i add half a tablespoon of peanut butter. Definitely kills my sweet tooth and keeps me more full than a traditional treat
  • ZoneFive
    ZoneFive Posts: 570 Member
    If you're not finding fruit very satisfying maybe try a protein shake? I like optimum nutrition gold standard chocolate, its a bit pricey but taste is night and day compared to my old cheap grocery store protein powder. Half a scoop and half a cup of 1% milk tastes crazy good with 18g protein and 110 cals. If I more calories to spare i add half a tablespoon of peanut butter. Definitely kills my sweet tooth and keeps me more full than a traditional treat

Thanks, smileyducky! I've been looking for a desserty-type thing for late evening, and this sounds like it will do beautifully.
  • smileyducky
    smileyducky Posts: 31 Member
    ZoneFive wrote: »

Thanks, smileyducky! I've been looking for a desserty-type thing for late evening, and this sounds like it will do beautifully.

No problem! I also like pillsbury pre cut cookie dough pieces a lifesaver if I'm feeling junk food deprived. Each piece is 80 cals so it's easy to just bake two and have a 160 cal "guilty" pleasure. A pack has 24 pieces so can last you quite a while

• debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    i usually do halo top or weight watchers snack size ice cream bar-sometimes I go salty with jolly time popcorn
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    I plan my calorie budget to have something between dinner and bedtime. It's been various things along the way, but the point is I would want something between dinner and bedtime, so I just admitted that to myself and arranged my calorie budget to let it happen.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Whatever you want. I try to eat a big dinner so I'm not hungry at night. I still eat some chocolate though
  • WendyLeigh1119
    WendyLeigh1119 Posts: 495 Member
    I find it's best to eat what you crave rather than try to avoid it by eating other things (and end up binging on the thing you wanted to begin with).

I rarely have a sweet tooth. It's always salt. But this week I couldn't stop thinking about chocolate peanut butter ice cream (normally I hate peanut butter). So I ate a 500 calorie bowl of ice cream 6 days straight this week rather than fight it. I lowered my other calories of each day and threw in extra exercise to make it work within my calorie budget. You can have whatever you want for snack.

If having a big, kinda junky nighttime snack is something you tend to want... stop looking for ways around it/restricting yourself... and accept that's how your hunger works and find ways to have whatever snack you want, instead.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    I am just thinking about maybe choosing somethinglower in carbs, even a small piece of cheese or boiled egg.

Some types of carbs make me sleepy, so I save them for a bedtime snack.

I don't find fruit alone filling, so pair it with protein and fat. I like apple with peanut butter and cheese on bread. (I go easy on the PB and cheese as these are calorie dense.)