Creatine

Options
Anyone had much experience with using creatine. I'm in my 50s, primarily a mountain biker but also do a bodyweight exercise program 3 times a week. I was recently diagnosed with spinal stenosis so I can't handle heavy lifts such as squats and deadlifts. I was hoping the creatine would help with recovery from hard rides, reduce fatigue, etc.

Replies

• SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    i am not sure creatine is what you are looking for.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Creatine doesn't have a lot of effect on aerobic activity, recovery, or performance; minor uptick in running capacity was noted in a few studies. It's noted for increasing power on resistance training by making more ATP - the primary fuel for anaerobic activity - more available.
  • edlanglais
    edlanglais Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    As said earlier, I'm not sure creatine is really what you're looking for based in what you've told us. My recovery after intense workouts is 1 1/2 scoops of protein mixed regular ole water. I use a higher quality powder to be able to get away with this. Grocery store brands not only contain many fillers, but also don't mix well at all.

I then mix in some l glutamine powder. I would ditch the creatine and try then glutamine instead. Creatine tends to be overrated and overused, as it seems to be inaccurately portrayed in an ability to turn you into a hulk overnight. I say I use this as part of my recovery because research indicated that glutamine levels are significantly depleted after an intense workout.

Also, not a bad idea to take it throughout the day as well, as it has other benefits. I won't tout it as an appetite suppressant, as I'm neither a nutritionist, dietitians, or personal trainer, but I can tell you that it curbs my appetite, not significantly, but somewhat. You would want to mix it in with you favorite drink...it's a tasteless powder.
  • SonyaCele
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    joeybrid wrote: »
    Copy and pasting my response from another thread,

"It's basically useless unless you're and endurance athlete. It doesn't "build muscle" like people will have you think, it replenishes ATP which is your bodies primary source of energy. It also has a tedious loading phase of larger dosing. Basically $30 will get you maybe 1-3 extra reps over a few sets with moderate dosing for he average person, every now and then. Anything else is placebo."

You'd be better off buying lean meat or chicken

That flies in the face of every study done on creatine, and there have been more studies on it than anything. Endurance athletes are the least likely to benefit from it. There's a reason it's the most popular supplement in the lifting community. That is who will benefit the most

yeah i didn't creatine was helpful for endurance, i use it when Im in certain PL training cycles such as getting ready for a meet. I used to use it year round but i talked myself into thinking my body needed time of, but i dont think that its even necessary.
    And yes i absolutely get that extra 1-3 reps in my lifts, thats why i take it, and for me an extra rep can be a make it or break it rep for me , so i'm all for creatine in my body.

• SonyaCele
    edited July 2017
    Options
    JerSchmare wrote: »
    A little off-topic, but is it better to take as a pre-workout, or does that not matter? Also, I thought the recommended does was 5g per day, but I've read about people taking more throughout the day.

its not a pre workout. it doesn't matter what time you take it. but it should be taken daily, i just toss a teaspoon with my protein shake. The amount probably depends on how much you want in your system, bigger guys might need more. i take a teaspoon once a day which is on the low end. I could take it twice a day , morning and night, but i don't like how i feel when i have more in me since it pumps water into our muscles. sometimes people take it several times a day in double doses to "load" , thats a personal decision, i never "load" there are studies that loading isn't necessary .
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    i take it for general reasons. atp needs water to store itself until it's needed, and being full of water dramatically improves the way my muscles feel. i get a lot less sticking and clicking and catching and grit when i'm creatined up. it just seems to dilute whatever gunk is sitting around in my muscle tissues.

anecdotal and i have no clue about the literal physiology, but fwiw. i'm in my 50's too, and my activities are lifting and cycling. for the cycling i don't think it makes me stronger, influences the doms or improves my aerobic ability. but i just experience less of the friction stress that repetitive movement can cause when my muscles are 'dry'.
  • joeybrid
    joeybrid Posts: 65 Member
    Options

"It's basically useless unless you're and endurance athlete. It doesn't "build muscle" like people will have you think, it replenishes ATP which is your bodies primary source of energy. It also has a tedious loading phase of larger dosing. Basically $30 will get you maybe 1-3 extra reps over a few sets with moderate dosing for he average person, every now and then. Anything else is placebo."

That flies in the face of every study done on creatine, and there have been more studies on it than anything. Endurance athletes are the least likely to benefit from it. There's a reason it's the most popular supplement in the lifting community. That is who will benefit the most
    SonyaCele wrote: »

yeah i didn't creatine was helpful for endurance, i use it when Im in certain PL training cycles such as getting ready for a meet. I used to use it year round but i talked myself into thinking my body needed time of, but i dont think that its even necessary.
    And yes i absolutely get that extra 1-3 reps in my lifts, thats why i take it, and for me an extra rep can be a make it or break it rep for me , so i'm all for creatine in my body.

Incorrect. The only reason that creatine is popular is because it is one of 2 or 3 legal supplements that will give you an "edge". Realistically 1-3 extra reps over a few sets is nothing. With endurance athletes athat require large bursts of energy such as soccer, football , sprinting and basketball every additional source of energy and recovery somewhat helps.
  • SonyaCele
    Options

Incorrect. The only reason that creatine is popular is because it is one of 2 or 3 legal supplements that will give you an "edge". Realistically 1-3 extra reps over a few sets is nothing. With endurance athletes athat require large bursts of energy such as soccer, football , sprinting and basketball every additional source of energy and recovery somewhat helps.

So basically you're saying the powerlifting i've been doing for years and years is "nothing"? 1 extra rep to me is my entire goal in life. its what i dream about, its what i train for all year long. now i feel so deflated because i'm training for "nothing"

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Don't really think creatine is what you are looking for.

As a fellow cyclist my recovery is:
    Warm down (not sudden stop), re-hydrate quickly (on long and/or hot rides I may well weigh myself before/after to get an idea how dehydrated I am), get carbs and protein snack inside you quickly (4:1 ratio often advised).

Next day have a gentle recovery ride - no stress on the legs, just pumping some blood through tired muscles.

As a side note, I lift as well and creatine did absolutely nothing for me (good or bad), not everyone responds but as it's very inexpensive it was worth experimenting with.
    You don't need a loading phase - that's very old fashioned advice.
    Examine.com has a good write up on it.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options

Hate to burst your bubble but the evidence is overwhelmingly against your point of view.
  • Rammer123
    Rammer123 Posts: 679 Member
    Options

Hate to burst your bubble but the evidence is overwhelmingly against your point of view.

Are you saying that creatine doesn't have any proven effects on endurance athletes performing short bursts of energy?
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I'm saying that everything I read, the effects of creatine for endurance athletes are minimal & used up so quickly, that that the vast majority of them don't use it because there is no aerobic benefits and the water weight gained isn't worth it. It doesn't have the effects you are touting to the extent anyone uses it for that reason.
  • Tweaking_Time
    Tweaking_Time Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I cycle, swim, and run for endurance.
    I don't lift weights at all due to past injuries/surgeries.

I have a bottle of creatine that I use whenever I want a glass of lumpy chocolate milk.
    It usually expires before I use 1/2 of it.
    I doubt I buy it again.
    It does nothing for me that I can tell.

• SonyaCele
    edited July 2017
    Options

Are you saying that creatine doesn't have any proven effects on endurance athletes performing short bursts of energy?

what is your personal experience using creatine? are you or have you been an endurance athlete and loaded it for a period of time, and can you share your experience using it? Or are you just making stuff up or compiling stories that you've read
  • Rammer123
    Rammer123 Posts: 679 Member
    Options

what is your personal experience using creatine? are you or have you been an endurance athlete and loaded it for a period of time, and can you share your experience using it? Or are you just making stuff up or compiling stories that you've read

First, I wasn't the one that said anything. I merely asked a question.

And yes (to the extent he was talking about) I have been an endurance athelete, I am a former college soccer player, and have noticed benefits of creatine in the aspect the guy was talking about using "large bursts of energy" which I am assuming he is talking about short explosive movements, including sprinting, jumping, shooting, tackling in my case.

The same way I have noticed an increase in strength in lifting since finishing playing soccer.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    A little off-topic, but is it better to take as a pre-workout, or does that not matter? Also, I thought the recommended does was 5g per day, but I've read about people taking more throughout the day.

its not a pre workout. it doesn't matter what time you take it. but it should be taken daily, i just toss a teaspoon with my protein shake. The amount probably depends on how much you want in your system, bigger guys might need more. i take a teaspoon once a day which is on the low end. I could take it twice a day , morning and night, but i don't like how i feel when i have more in me since it pumps water into our muscles. sometimes people take it several times a day in double doses to "load" , thats a personal decision, i never "load" there are studies that loading isn't necessary .

Thanks for the info. I'm not an endurance althete, I am a lifter. I moved away from powerlifting for about 5 years to more bodybuilding style of lifting, about 5 weeks. Been debating with myself about the benefits of creatine.

creatine is THE most well researched and supported supplement for lifting (and its pretty cheap)...no reason not to take it!