I am SO hungry!

Options
I'm looking for tips on either to eat better, or how to eat more filling foods. Since I have been on here, I have been trying my hardest to stick to the 1200 calories, and I've been doing alright, but I am SO hungry! I am not interested in upping my calorie intake, I really want to get this weight off as quickly as possible. This is the jist of what my day consisted of today: A peanut butter sandwich for breakfast (I'm not a big breakfast eatter, so this is really hard for me to force myself to eat something in the morning), I had cheese and crackers with an apple for lunch, carrot sticks for a snack in the afternoon, and then chili this evening for dinner, it's 9 o'clock, and I am SO hungry. I'm sure this is because it's a huge difference for me, this is day three of me sticking to the 1200 calories, but I feel like I need to be chewing on something at the least....does anyone have any advice!?

Replies

• Saruman_w
    Saruman_w Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    Drink more water. And try add a bit more protein to your diet. Helps make you feel full. Also chewing gum helps to curb the hunger feeling. After about a week maybe if keeping that 1200 intake your stomach'll sorta shrink I guess and you won't feel as hungry anymore.
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    How is your fiber intake? Increase the fiber in your meals as they are not digested and you'll feel full longer. As for now, have a small snack ( < 100 calories), it won't kill you to go over a little bit.
  • utaviator
    utaviator Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Shelby, try reducing the carbs and adding protein for a while. The protein satisfies your hunger much longer, and you'll have more energy.
  • lisabstrong
    lisabstrong Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I am at about the same calories...build protien first at each meal, add veggies next and then choose whole grain high fibre, it will keep you fuller longer. Add break it down to 3 meals plus two snacks per day. Snacks should include fruit that has high fibre as well such as apples and pears. Add a SMALL handful of nuts once per day if you are not allergic of course... and yes WATER.
  • CountryShelby
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice! I drink A LOT of water, probably about 120 oz. a day, but with regards to fiber, is there any specific type of food that I should be eatting? Nuts are great! Are any kind better than others? I'd appreciate any help!
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    Maybe try an open faced peanut butter sandwich, thus saving the calories in the second piece of bread for later. And try adding hummus or something to your afternoon carrot snack. Also, cheese can be relatively high in calories. I'd add a leaner protein for lunch, which will also keep you fuller longer. You might also want to add some fruit. The fiber and complex carbs will keep you fuller longer.
  • lisabstrong
    lisabstrong Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Bran cereal with milk or oatmeal, high fibre breads etc. As for the nuts I usually go for pecans or almonds..check mfp for the calories on the ones you like and yes I COUNT them as I can go a bit overboard...you have to watch for the fat content too...
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, I aim for 1200 cals and often have trouble getting it all in - for me a typical day starts with cream of wheat (shockingly filling) and a banana as a mid-morning snack, a huge salad at lunch with about 3 oz. of protein and a few croutons, dinner is usually 3 oz. of protein, steamed veggies, and a small portion of carbs (like steamed new potatoes), with some snacks like granola bars, fresh fruit, cottage cheese, sugar free pudding, and a skinny cow ice cream at night. This usually puts me between 1100-1200 for the day. If I'm having a day where I feel like I need to be munching, I'll try to go for extra protein (deli-sliced meat, steamed shrimp, cottage cheese), and it doesn't affect my weight loss. If I'm running in the am, I'll often do half a PB&J, though it's a little higher cal, but then I run it off.
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    My first instinct is to tell you not to eat so early in the morning if you aren't actually hungry at all. For me at least, I found it much harder to stick to calorie goals when I ate when not hungry. Breakfast doesn't have to be at the crack of dawn, it is just thee first meal of the day. And the research on adult populations isn't nearly as clear cut as people like to make out. Just make sure you don't wait till you are ravenous and make poor choices. And I would suggest a large green salad with baby spinach, lots of good stuff in the dark greens, with some olive oil based vinaigrette (try making your own, it is delicious and lots of fun). Very filling and very healthy. And add a few pecans instead of croutons. A quarter cup though is 200 calories or so.
  • sadielane
    sadielane Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Many nights I like to eat grapes that I toss in a baggie with powdered sugar-free jello and then freeze. They are like a mini popsicle! This way you get in an extra fruit and since they are frozen, it takes a while to eat them. :happy:
  • ilikejam33
    ilikejam33 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I struggled a lot with this when i began as well. I have found a great balance and most people cannot believe how much food i eat and still stay in my calorie range. I had to open my mind to trying a lot of new foods, and i never eat something i dont enjoy. If you'd like to add me you can see my food diary and can always message me if you need ideas.

:)
  • barkerf
    barkerf Posts: 2
    Options
    You can eat a smal can of tuna, it is only about 60-70 calories and very filling.
  • sonjalucia
    sonjalucia Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    isn't it shocking how 1200 goes so fast!

I would skip the crackers and cheese, and try adding cheese (such as skimmed milk mozzarella, light bocconcini) to a hearty salad filled with mixed greens (or spinach), tomatoes, cucumbers, red or green pepper and maybe some asparagus.The greener, the better.

Hummus is also a great spread to add to those carrot and celery sticks....

If you want some more ideas, please hit me up I'd be glad to help!
  • black0922
    black0922 Posts: 10
    Options
    Try a lot of other foods you wouldn't think of. Pickles are delicious and are only about 5 calories each. Celery I believe has no calories other veggies have very few calories.
  • Womona
    Womona Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    I absolutely understand! This is my first day, and trying to keep to 1200 cals/day is really eye opening. I just had dinner (fennel and salad) with 44 cals to go, but now I'm going to bike with my son just so I can make some soup! Boy, when they say "a moment on the lips, a lifetime on the hips" they aren't kidding! I need every calorie deficit I can find, even on my non-workout days!

One good note is that in the past, when I was trying to cut down, I found that I was hungry at about 9:00 every night - I think my stomach needed to shrink to catch up with the lesser calories. I found that sipping hot tea with honey satisfied that feeling of wanting something in your mouth without packing on the pounds. I also find that eating sunflower seeds, in the shell, can help because it takes a lot of work to get at the seed. Or, have a glass of 1%milk, and then just go to bed! In a few days the stomach shrinks and you don't feel hungry. Good luck!
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice! I drink A LOT of water, probably about 120 oz. a day, but with regards to fiber, is there any specific type of food that I should be eatting? Nuts are great! Are any kind better than others? I'd appreciate any help!

I add a variety of beans to different dishes I have. Very filling.
  • DRetel
    DRetel Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    haha! I posted this EXACT same topic about 2 days ago. My calorie goal is 1310 on non work out days. I was STARVING. So hungry I thought about going to the gym to earn some extra calories! haha!
    I haven't found a solve yet, but everyone here has a lot of great advice. I just need to find what works best for me. It is really hard in the first few weeks, when your system is getting used to less food!

Good luck! I feel your hunger pangs! ;-)
  • LHann360
    LHann360 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I love cheese and crackers. To change out my not so healthy version....I found Laughing Cow or Weight Watcher cheese wedges are a great snack...they only have about 35 calories and are really tasty, lots of different flavors to choose from . I take a FLAT OUT brand wrap or some version of a wrap that is low carbs and calories ( those only have 90 ) and cut it into cracker sizes and toast in the oven for 10 minutes. Way more crackers than you need for the wedge so you can put one on top and bottom. All together you have a great snack for 150 calories...healthy ones....add a medium size apple and you're only at about 250 calories that take awhile to eat and they are all good ones :bigsmile:
  • CountryShelby
    Options
    I love the idea of using the flat out bread instead of cracker, especially since a serving size of Ritz is only 5 crackers! Thank you all for all of your advice and tidbits! Day Five and still hungry....but I'm hoping it will get better by this time next week! Thanks again for all of your help!
  • Feddyvon
    Feddyvon Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Without changing you menu, you could cut plenty of calories by reading the nutrition labels on your next shopping trip. Just by swtiching to a Reduced Fat PB, lower cal, higher protien bread, and finding alternatives to your cheese and crackers, you'll cut your current calories easily by 200 or more. You can then find a nice protein boost to fill in those gaps. I like to use a protein bar to hold me off when hungry. Usually eating 1/3 or a half of a bar will do the trick, give me a protien punch, and not blow out my calories.

That was my first lesson when starting on the diet journey. They are lower cal alternatives to almost everything now, you just have to shop smarter.