How to lose weight correctly? I'm dyin lol???

Options
I have been through it all and I am tired of it. I want to lose weight the healthy and correct way.

In the past, I have gone through period where I lose tons of weight and then gain it back, rinse, and repeat.

When i was younger, I would not eat for days at a time, or eat and then throw up, or murder myself with exercise and only eat fruit and snacks. 1000 calorie limit.

Theeennn. I slip. I fall down the hill. And here I am trying to climb back up but my climbing gear has failed me many times and I want to get the right kind this time.

But how? Where do i start? All help is welcome!

Replies

• weightlossmfp1
    weightlossmfp1 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    ZoneFive wrote: »
    First of all learn, understand and EMBRACE that it is not about being perfect. It is about being consistent. If you have a bad day, log it and move on. Do your best to learn from it and improve the next day.

Use MFP to figure out your calorie goals and target weight loss. Add in any extra exercise you do, but dont eat back the full amount of exercise calories as you may over estimate them. Start logging your food so you understand your eating habits better to learn from them. If you can, get a kitchen scale to weigh food so that you are as accurate as possible. Guessing is not good enough as we often guess very wrong.

Have the foods you like and enjoy, just have them in proper proportions within your calorie goals for the day or week.

Teach yourself how to eat properly as you go so that when you reach your goal, you eat at a maintenance level so that you do not regain all of the weight again.

This here is the unsexy truth about weight loss. Not just weight loss, but having a healthy life. People can add all kinds of embellishments and embroideries, but this is the bottom line.

Also drink your water.

Thank you so much.
  • weightlossmfp1
    Options
    First of all learn, understand and EMBRACE that it is not about being perfect. It is about being consistent. If you have a bad day, log it and move on. Do your best to learn from it and improve the next day.

Use MFP to figure out your calorie goals and target weight loss. Add in any extra exercise you do, but dont eat back the full amount of exercise calories as you may over estimate them. Start logging your food so you understand your eating habits better to learn from them. If you can, get a kitchen scale to weigh food so that you are as accurate as possible. Guessing is not good enough as we often guess very wrong.

Have the foods you like and enjoy, just have them in proper proportions within your calorie goals for the day or week.

Teach yourself how to eat properly as you go so that when you reach your goal, you eat at a maintenance level so that you do not regain all of the weight again.

Thank you so much. I was feeling so down. Like Im some kind of loser. Thank you
  • ZoneFive
    ZoneFive Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Oh honey. You are NOT a loser -- except in the scale-numbers area. To paraphrase Thomas Edison, you've just found a lot of ways that didn't work. Now onward to some ways that will work!

Do you have any medical conditions that you need to take into consideration? High blood pressure, high blood sugar, migraines, PCOS? It probably wouldn't hurt to check in with your doctor to get an idea of where you're starting from. And you get to create a food plan for yourself. Check around MFP, see what other people are doing and eating that look good to you. Starting with veggies, fruits, lean meats/fish, good dairy and whole grains -- less processed stuff, in other words -- might be a place to start and then tweak.

This is a process. Play with it!
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Recognize that this is a marathon, and not a sprint. You already know that deprivation doesn't work long term. As soon as your resolve falters, so do you. You are not alone!

Pick a reasonable weekly weight loss goal. Unless you are morbidly obese, picking the maximum 2 lbs per week -
    with the thought to just get this weight loss thing over with as quickly as possible - usually doesn't work out for most people.

Buy a food scale. It's a real eye-opener and the only way to get an idea of how many calories are really being consumed each day. Have patience. Trust the process and the science. If you have a bad day? Meh, it's only a day and irrelevant over the long term.

Be kind to yourself. You've got this.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Plug your stats into MFP set to lose 1# a week and do exactly as it says. Give that a solid 6 weeks and then adjust as needed. You don't have to be perfect, just pretty darn good. Have fun and take this opportunity to educate yourself on nutrition. Lots of great blogs and websites out there.
  • weightlossmfp1
    Options
    Recognize that this is a marathon, and not a sprint. You already know that deprivation doesn't work long term. As soon as your resolve falters, so do you. You are not alone!

Pick a reasonable weekly weight loss goal. Unless you are morbidly obese, picking the maximum 2 lbs per week -
    with the thought to just get this weight loss thing over with as quickly as possible - usually doesn't work out for most people.

Buy a food scale. It's a real eye-opener and the only way to get an idea of how many calories are really being consumed each day. Have patience. Trust the process and the science. If you have a bad day? Meh, it's only a day and irrelevant over the long term.

Be kind to yourself. You've got this.

Thank you! You are so reassuring (:
  • weightlossmfp1
    Options
    BabyBear76 wrote: »
    Why people can't lose weight:
    1. They aren't eating enough. Sounds counterintuitive, but it's true. It just has to be good food. Lean protiens, fresh veggies, complex carbs.
    2. Lack of musculature. 1 pound of muscle will burn 100 calories a day just to exist. This means if you gain 5lbs of muscle, in order to maintain you need an extra 500 calories a day. There's a reason bodybuilders need 6,000 calories a day diets to stay the same size.

I did not know that... thankyou!
  • weightlossmfp1
    Options
    ZoneFive wrote: »
    Oh honey. You are NOT a loser -- except in the scale-numbers area. To paraphrase Thomas Edison, you've just found a lot of ways that didn't work. Now onward to some ways that will work!

Do you have any medical conditions that you need to take into consideration? High blood pressure, high blood sugar, migraines, PCOS? It probably wouldn't hurt to check in with your doctor to get an idea of where you're starting from. And you get to create a food plan for yourself. Check around MFP, see what other people are doing and eating that look good to you. Starting with veggies, fruits, lean meats/fish, good dairy and whole grains -- less processed stuff, in other words -- might be a place to start and then tweak.

This is a process. Play with it!

Thankyou so much! You are so helpful and reassuring.
  • edlanglais
    edlanglais Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Don't give up or be discouraged. This app is a very useful tool. Low salt potato chips are still very tasty but are pointless if you eat the entire bag. Only 110 calories if you eat the actual portion size.

I'm glad you're finished with the silly gimmicks out there. There's no question they help you lose weight. But the fact is, they are simply unsustainable for most people.
  • weightlossmfp1
    Options
    edlanglais wrote: »
    Don't give up or be discouraged. This app is a very useful tool. Low salt potato chips are still very tasty but are pointless if you eat the entire bag. Only 110 calories if you eat the actual portion size.

I'm glad you're finished with the silly gimmicks out there. There's no question they help you lose weight. But the fact is, they are simply unsustainable for most people.

Thanks so much. And yeah you know I thought it was me.. like I wasn't strong enough to keep up with it. But I realize now that they were gimmicks.
  • bettycooker
    bettycooker Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    You are not alone in this! I've struggled for 30 years. I've lost and gained prolly thousands of pounds and tried every diet and gimmicks out there...but I started MFP and logging every lick, bite and sip. Drink lots of water and stay connected with the successors on here. Ask questions, search recipes, read others success stories! Take ONE day at a time and set small goals! This helped me..I have 105 more lbs to lose and I'm actually motivated for once, thanks to the good Lord!
    I'm having knee surgery in 2 weeks, but I found chair fitness on YouTube called HASfit (check it out, they have lots of non-chair videos too) and I do 30-45 minutes 5 days a week and water aerobics! Good luck and I'll be praying for God to give you strength to do this the healthy way! ☝