My Top 10 Mistakes

Options

Replies

• junodog1
    junodog1 Posts: 4,792 Member
    Options
    Good things to recognize. I know most of them intimately.
  • spikedmax
    spikedmax Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    To original poster:
    Great post! I screen shot and saved! Thanks.
  • WendyLeigh1119
    WendyLeigh1119 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I have one: Don't chase your weight

Don't obsess about calories, only glance at macros, eat and exercise how and when you see fit and relax about the whole endeavor. It's just food. It's not worth a ton of thought, worry, or planning. If it was March 2017 again... I'd kill to be where I am right now. So anything more than "right now" is major *bonus* achievement.
  • Muana1005
    Muana1005 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I had that slice of cake today but still kept a weight loss deficit. Control is everything.
  • 2bfitChris
    2bfitChris Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I do all that, especially 1 and 2
  • Erfw7471
    Erfw7471 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Great list, OP. I can relate to all of them, lol
  • DaveMustGetFit
    DaveMustGetFit Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Great ideas guys ... so what else?
  • DaveMustGetFit
    Options
    Also please add me folks - need encouragement like everyone!
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    Options
    Oh yes! Every. Single. One.

Same! Plus several others. Like getting psyched out by a bump on the scale even though I KNOW that trends are more telling. Also getting worn down by long hot summers. I'm sure there were significant social events I should have just loosened up and enjoyed more vs. being a little too uptight in circumstances where I didn't have much control. I'm sure the balance is different for everyone, but there is a balance to be found between strict adherence and bending with circumstances. I love @SezxyStef 's expression of that. Great post, OP
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I used to do the whole "well I over ate this food today so I better just finish the whole bag/box so I won't be tempted to do it tomorrow". Like, why did I think that was an acceptable solution?

I fell into that trap too.

"I may as well finish this whole bag/packet or whatever it was right NOW, so it's out of the house and i won't be tempted tomorrow." It was just an excuse for me to be a little piglet.
  • DaveMustGetFit
    Options
    I used to do the whole "well I over ate this food today so I better just finish the whole bag/box so I won't be tempted to do it tomorrow". Like, why did I think that was an acceptable solution?

Hmm can't really say I thought about doing that - but plenty of other silly things!
  • DaveMustGetFit
    Options
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    Oh yes! Every. Single. One.

Same! Plus several others. Like getting psyched out by a bump on the scale even though I KNOW that trends are more telling. Also getting worn down by long hot summers. I'm sure there were significant social events I should have just loosened up and enjoyed more vs. being a little too uptight in circumstances where I didn't have much control. I'm sure the balance is different for everyone, but there is a balance to be found between strict adherence and bending with circumstances. I love @SezxyStef 's expression of that. Great post, OP

For me allowing myself to have bad days and thinking I am going to be being self forgiving, is a slippery slope. But as mentioned if it does happen the worst thing you can do is get into the rut of "well I guess I am eating bad again now so I will just keep doing that, I will restart my diet at some point in the future".
  • DaveMustGetFit
    Options
    Looking back at my list tonight and realized I made 1 of the mistakes today. I slipped on eating something I shouldn't and am over. Feeling frustrated.
  • socaldogmom
    socaldogmom Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Just experiences #1, #7 and #10 yesterday evening at happy hour. Considering cutting out the alcohol until I reach my goal because it leads me to deal with every mistake on the list.
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    Options
    Looking back at my list tonight and realized I made 1 of the mistakes today. I slipped on eating something I shouldn't and am over. Feeling frustrated.

Make tomorrow better... :)
  • ISweat4This
    ISweat4This Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Guilty of #2 & #3, and also eating whatever I want from Friday evening to Sunday night. Clearly that didn't work.
  • AnnofB
    AnnofB Posts: 3,584 Member
    Options
    All of them, but #9 sums it up for me.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    1. Giving in after 1 bad day
    2. Self defeating voice "well I am off the band wagon so I will just eat anything I want"
    3. Accepting "this special occasion" as an excuse to eat badly (we are lucky enough to have special occasions almost every week in many parts of the western world)
    4. Giving into peer pressure - "one slice of cake won't kill you"
    5. Not writing everything down
    6. Not treating sleep seriously as part of the equation
    7. Drinking away my calories
    8. Feeling defeat because of the plateau and giving in
    9. Losing lots of weight and bouncing right back up based on the false premise that I can just magically regain control after a week of doing what I want
    10. Getting over confident about my level of self control

Rational Recovery would attribute most of these to the Addictive Voice. Learning how to recognize my Addictive Voice and ceasing to heed it was key to me changing my relationship with alcohol. It's harder with food, but I'm trying!

These are Cognitive Behavioral Therapy techniques, and many people recommend The Beck Diet Solution: Train Your Brain to Think Like a Thin Person.

Can thinking and eating like a thin person be learned, similar to learning to drive or use a computer? Beck (Cognitive Therapy for Challenging Problems) contends so, based on decades of work with patients who have lost pounds and maintained weight through Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT). Beck's six-week program adapts CBT, a therapeutic system developed by Beck's father, Aaron, in the 1960s, to specific challenges faced by yo-yo dieters, including negative thinking, bargaining, emotional eating, bingeing, and eating out. Beck counsels readers day-by-day, introducing new elements (creating advantage response cards, choosing a diet, enlisting a diet coach, making a weight-loss graph) progressively and offering tools to help readers stay focused (writing exercises, to-do lists, ways to counter negative thoughts). There are no eating plans, calorie counts, recipes or exercises; according to Beck, any healthy diet will work if readers learn to think differently about eating and food. Beck's book is like an extended therapy session with a diet coach. (Apr.)