Losing weight but gained fat

Options
Hi guys, I'm wondering if you can help me with any info. I've weigh myself every day at home & from time to time I stand on the boditrax scales at my local gym.

This morning was the first time that I stood on the scales since April 29th. I've been eating 1,500 cal per day and burning 2,500 per day. I train 5 times per week which is normally a mixture of weights, body combat, bodypump, running & swimming.

When I stood on the boditrax scales this morning I had lost 5lbs since last time (yay!) however I have lost muscle mass & gained fat. Does anyone know why this can be? I'm really confused.

Thanks
Nic

Replies

• nic11c
    nic11c Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »
    Wait, back up. While it is true that those BI scales are notoriously inaccurate, you are eating 1500 and burning 2500 per day? Are you eating back all 2500? How are you burning 2500 per day and how are you measuring that? That seems ridiculously high. What kind of workouts do you do? As a frame of reference, 1 have done 20 mile bike rides with elevation changes of 38 floors and my burn is a little less than 1000 cals.

If you are eating 1500 and not eating back a substantial amount of your burn and not weight training, you could have lost some lean mass by catabolizing muscle tissue. That would change your ratios. Doesn't mean you gained fat as much as you lost lean mass. Something beyond the goofiness of the scale here doesn't make sense.

The 2500 cal burnt according to my Fitbit. I move around a lot at work, make sure I do a minimum of 10k steps plus add in a fitness class & a gym workout to this.

• musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    Maxematics wrote: »
    Wait, back up. While it is true that those BI scales are notoriously inaccurate, you are eating 1500 and burning 2500 per day? Are you eating back all 2500? How are you burning 2500 per day and how are you measuring that? That seems ridiculously high. What kind of workouts do you do? As a frame of reference, 1 have done 20 mile bike rides with elevation changes of 38 floors and my burn is a little less than 1000 cals.

If you are eating 1500 and not eating back a substantial amount of your burn and not weight training, you could have lost some lean mass by catabolizing muscle tissue. That would change your ratios. Doesn't mean you gained fat as much as you lost lean mass. Something beyond the goofiness of the scale here doesn't make sense.

I'm pretty sure OP means their TDEE is 2500, not that they burn 2500 calories through exercise.

No, I think she actually means she thinks she burns 2500 calories, which would be highly unlikely. She would be at a negative 1000 calories net a day if it were true.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    nic11c wrote: »

The 2500 cal burnt according to my Fitbit. I move around a lot at work, make sure I do a minimum of 10k steps plus add in a fitness class & a gym workout to this.

So you are saying that is your total burn for the day or TDEE according to Fitbit? And you are eating 1500 or trying to lose 2 lbs per week? What kind of training are yourdoing? Sounds like the scale was wonky but it is still important to preserve lean muscle mass while losing or BF% can stay the same or go up during weight loss. I'm guessing you are aware of that?
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,940 Member
    Options
    Fitbit displays TDEE.

A 40% deficit off TDEE seems excessive even for a morbidly obese individual and much more so for someone with less fat available to lose.

A 20% deficit would be more reasonable and would come to around 500 Cal a day...