Food without Brakes

Options
What are your food without brakes?

Food that you have no self control with, whether they're healthy or unhealthy them overall, once it's there you can't help but eat until it's no longer there. And how do you successfully avoid or moderate them?

One of mine is nuts - especially pistachio or macadamia nuts. I think that nuts can be a healthy part of your diet, but unfortunately, if I have a 1 kilo bag of nuts, I will eat them all in one sitting.

Also soft cheeses, like camembert or brie... le sigh.

I try not to buy them, and only eat them when someone else is moderating the serving size.

Replies

• cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Apricots. So if I buy them, it's just one or two.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    nothing really.....

....... been known to have a second helping of popcorn from time to time.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    So many things. I have issues. But some major ones: small crackers and cookies, anything peanut butter, tortilla chips

ETA: I don't have them in the house. I go crazy at a party or outing and have to deal with the outcome all the time. For me that is actually a painful physical reaction I get when I eat too many carbs.
  • MrsDan1667
    MrsDan1667 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Pastries of all varieties
  • zenartist24
    zenartist24 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Mine is definitely tortilla chips and hummus!!! I have started not buying them and switching from chips to carrots and hummus. So hard when the cravings kick in! Good luck on your journey!!
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Coca-cola. After getting off of it, I no longer crave it as much, but it's still almost physically painful to drive by the corner where I used to stop for a Coke icee.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    My foods without brakes are chocolate, candy, cookies, cake, chips, ice cream.
    I try not to buy them, and only eat them when someone else is moderating the serving size.
    Yes, yes! Very well put. But I don't try - I'm very focused when I buy groceries. I don't buy for the house, but will eat on occasion, out of the house.

I also eat a wide variety of the enjoyable foods I CAN eat to satiety, which is almost every whole food on the planet.

This is not about being restricted, it's about being smart and living a good life :D
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Candy, especially gummy candy. If I buy a bag, it will get eaten in one sitting. I lack any ability whatsoever to moderate it.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Anything Peanut buttery.
    Cereal
    Nuts
    Chips
    popcorn
  • JaxxieKat
    JaxxieKat Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    For me it's ice cream or peanut butter.
  • MsChucktowski
    MsChucktowski Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Plain potato chips. I buy the small, single serve packs. If there's a big bag, I'm probably going to eat the whole thing.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Not too much anymore, I've been working on it. Nuts and cheese are ones that I have managed to gain control over.

Chocolate covered nuts and good caramel corn (which I only have when this one client gives it to us at my office) are two that I still struggle with.

Tortilla chips + guac if we have it on the table at a Mexican place, but that's rare enough that I don't worry about it.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Table chips at any Mexican restaurant. Chips in general.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    That Angie's kettle corn in the lilac bag from Costco. I can kill a bag of that (practically as big as I am) in like two days, it's bad news.
  • Aerona85
    Aerona85 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Anything given "free" on the table at restaurants...chips, bread, etc. Otherwise, I seem to do ok with stuff in my house.
  • jessicamay1719
    jessicamay1719 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Ice cream for Me, I can't have half a cup like normal people. I want my bowl to have a mountain of chocolate ice cream in there lol. I try not to have it in the house, that really helps me
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    JaxxieKat wrote: »
    For me it's ice cream or peanut butter.

This is me too. And cookies and Chardonnay.
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    I bought this bag of cheddar and caramel popcorn from Sams Club. I had this brilliant idea of portioning it into snack size bags. I ate them all in 2 days. And it was a huge bulk size bag. I don't even remember how many ounces but a lot.

Also I discovered at a Super Bowl party that I have no resistance to Nestle toll House cookies.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Nachos.
    Anything with tortilla chips.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Bits n Bytes
    It's not the food, it's the short circuit in the brain. You can retrain your brain to stop.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/findatherapist.wordpress.com/2009/04/15/anxiety-and-thought-stopping-techniques/amp/