Stupid IBS

Options
Momepro
Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
How are you supposed to count calories when IBS acts up and you are in the bathroom every 10 minutes for half the damn day?! But you are STARVING when bout is over?
Grrr! So annoying!

Replies

• shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    Hugs - IMHO? Just write those days off. Just cannot know what calories you have absorbed that day, you know? And your body is going to need nutrients to help heal up any potential damage, calm down inflammation, and so on, so you don't want to eat too little after a bad day, you know?

Sorry you are having a hard time, though!
  • Momepro
    Options
    Thanks <3
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    Augh i know what you're going through. I have Crohn's Disease, and am trying to gain weight. Because of malabsorption issues, I have to eat about 1000 more calories than what MFP gave me. Inflammation and meds totally screw things up. The good news is that now I have figured out the right amount of food (and kinds of food), plus consistently getting adequate sleep and exercise, I feel so much better. My labs the other day showed that my inflammatory markers reduced significantly to numbers I haven't seen in years.

IBS is easier to treat than IBD, but it is still miserable trying to figure out what works. I hope you feel better soon.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I dunno. I'm the other way around. The scale keeps rising as the days go on without...going. IBS is really truly a pain in the *kitten*.
  • maryfbeckett
    maryfbeckett Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I had issues for 20 plus years and a sensitivity test showed I have a heightened number for casein and eggs. Did an elimination period to see if it made a difference in my health and the persistent diarrhea disappeared. A relevation as this was the first doc to ever suggest something like this might help my overall health. To be clear, this isn't an allergy, just a low tolerance. I can eat some, but too much more me sick.
  • Momepro
    Options
    I had issues for 20 plus years and a sensitivity test showed I have a heightened number for casein and eggs. Did an elimination period to see if it made a difference in my health and the persistent diarrhea disappeared. A relevation as this was the first doc to ever suggest something like this might help my overall health. To be clear, this isn't an allergy, just a low tolerance. I can eat some, but too much more me sick.

That's why I joined MFP, partly. So I could keep track of what caused issues. This time seemed to be fried Polenta. I think it was mainly the grease. Thats how I found out soy and insomnia are the devil as far as my stomach is concerned.
  • MsChucktowski
    MsChucktowski Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    My IBS is "in remission" at the moment, but I found the best thing for my bad days was to drink plenty of water and eat really plainly, like rice, steamed veg, peanut butter sandwich, etc. I also took loperamide if needed.

As far as calorie counting, I'd say just stick to your goal, and if you find that you're losing too fast, increase your calories.