119lbs at 5'5 what size are you?

I'm from the UK and have been on my weight loss journey for ages now. I started at 224lbs (16st) and I'm now 177lbs (12st9lbs). I know I want to wear size 8 but not really sure how low in weight I would have to go so just wondering what others at 8.5st wear.
Thanks in advance xx

Replies

• cs2thecox
    cs2thecox Posts: 533 Member
    It totally depends on your body composition.
    I'm about 5' 5" (I used to be a bit under and now I'm a bit over. I thank pilates!!)
    I've been everything from 48.5kg (scarily, unhealthy thin) and am currently a bit over 60kg.

At my lightest, I mostly wore a size 8, and looked scrawny.
    I think I had a pair of smaller jeans, but they were from Gap and everyone knows their sizing is mental!

About a year ago, I stopped caring about how much I weighed, and started caring about how much I could lift. I have leaned right up (15.8% body fat last time I got measured), and shrunk quite a lot. But I've gained muscle, so I've got heavier despite being smaller!
    I now wear size 8 trousers.
    I have broad shoulders though, so most of my tops are a 10.

As you get closer and closer to your goal, I'd recommend focusing on size and the way you look, rather than just on weight. There are a lot of different ways to be a size 8. Personally, I think the healthy, athletic body looks better than one that is simply skinny but fits in the same size clothes!
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    I'm your height. Currently 160lbs and about a size 12 UK, depending on vanity sizing factor.

But it will vary, that's why there's a BMI spectrum. I can't see me being able to go as low 119 without losing lean mass. Imperfect as they are, online BF% calculators have my lean mass not far off 119 so it would be a terrible idea for me to go that low! I was an athlete and dancer in the past though so have a bit more lean mass than someone without that background.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,130 Member
    You might find this link helpful. http://www.mybodygallery.com/

Is there some particular reason you want to be a Size 8?
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Go by BMI? That way you don't have to choose. I am choosing the top number in the normal weight zone. http://www.calculator.net/bmi-calculator.html I hope to never be classified by a doctor as overweight bmi again.
  • caco_ethes
    caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member
    119 at 5'5" seems incredibly tiny! I wear a us size 8 in most brands and I'm 5'7" and just shy of 150 lbs. UK sizing must be different?
  • bribucks
    bribucks Posts: 431 Member
    I am 5'3'', 119 lbs. I typically wear a US size 2-4. I also order clothes from a UK website and I am usually an 8-10 in UK sizes. I am pear shaped.
  • faji2015
    faji2015 Posts: 93 Member
    I am 5'5 148lbs and wear Pakistani size 12.
  • tjones0411
    tjones0411 Posts: 179 Member
    I am 5'6" and 127lbs and my pants size is a 4.
  • fit_mama30
    fit_mama30 Posts: 178 Member
    I am 5'5 and 120-122 pounds and wear a size 4 in most pants/shorts/etc. My current jeans are from Guess and they're a size 26.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Because women's clothing sizing is crazy, I have no interest in a goal number. I've had two different models of capris from the same manufacturer with supposedly the same size be two different sizes in actuality.

But I averaged a US size 8 when I was around 160 pounds. I'm 5'6.5".

I find these types of threads odd as women of the same height will take very different sizes depending on their frame size and body composition. Not to mention the country in which they are buying clothes. There's really no way our answers will provide useful info for the OP.
  • mumbles2013
    mumbles2013 Posts: 289 Member
    Thanks for the replies guys. I am fully aware that every woman is an individual and we all carry weight differently but I just needed a rough idea to know whether my target is about right.
  • mumbles2013
    mumbles2013 Posts: 289 Member
    cs2thecox wrote: »
    60kg ish, 5'5", size 8 bottom...
    (So proud of these! Been working super hard in the gym and on hitting my macros for about a year now...)

xg7jrrm2l5qi.jpg

nn92g717b5oy.jpg

Looking strong!!
  • GrumpyHeadmistress
    GrumpyHeadmistress Posts: 666 Member
    I'm 137lbs and 5'4". I'm a Marks and Spencer's 8, 10 everywhere else. Does M&S vanity sizing count?
  • koslowkj
    koslowkj Posts: 188 Member
    5'5" 150lbs

I wear a US 8, and I can fit into a US 6 (which I think is a UK 8) but it's not very comfortable.
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    I'm 5'3 (close enough) 135-just under 140 and wearing a size 6 (US) and occasionally a 4. I lift heavy and am probably around 23%bf. Body composition is a big factor with sizing.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    US 6 is a UK10 generally speaking. Though the differences from brand to brand will always make it tricky. But like for like it's two sizes difference.

I'm 160lbs, UK12-ish, one up or down depending on vanity sizing. Shooting for 140 and hopefully recomp from there. My lean mass according to imperfect online calculators isn't much less than 119 so it'd be quite the struggle to get that low!
  • xxharleyquinnxx
    xxharleyquinnxx Posts: 166 Member
    I'm your height (don't feel comfortable saying my weight) but I normally buy size 6 clothes, a size 8 if there's no size 6. I do think the shops need considering though because in some shops I'd never even fit in a size 6 so just keep that in mind too :)
  • caitlinmimi
    caitlinmimi Posts: 9 Member
    Hiya. Well done so far! I'm 5'5" as well, still going but currently at about 142 lbs. In the UK so all UK sizes... For myself, I have a pair of definitely-vanity-sized 8's but usually seem to wear about 10's now. I started at 190 lbs and usually a size 16 then.