What is most important...calories or macros?

Options
When trying to lose weight is it more important to keep your calories low, or your macros? I just logged what I ate so far for the day, and my orange juice already put me over my sugar limit for the day. If I stay under my calories for the day, even if my macros are above the limits I set, will I still lose weight?

Replies

• StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    Calories.
  • justjenny
    justjenny Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Ok. Thank you. I had a eggwhites with feta, banana and peanut butter and oj for breakfast. I am full, and nowhere near my calorie intake for the day. I plan on going to the gym this afternoon as well, so by end of day, I should be way under my calorie limit.
  • caco_ethes
    caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member
    Options
    Technically, yes. You probably would lose weight if you're at a deficit. But the goal is to lose fat, not just weight. Eating adequate protein is muscle-protective (along with resistance training) which means you aren't going to be losing weight in the form of fat AND muscle. I would make adequate protein a priority. Fat shouldn't be slashed too low either because it can negatively affect your hormones, and when your hormones are jacked, CICO isn't even relevant anymore. And finally.. carbs. Not the devil, but there certainly are better ones than others. If you're straight up eating capn crunch for all your carbs, you're just more likely to feel like utter crap.

So.. the odd day of eating whatever and staying below your calorie threshold is fine. Maybe even encouraged to prevent binges. But your best bet for long term success is to dial in the macros with good whole food.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    justjenny wrote: »
    When trying to lose weight is it more important to keep your calories low, or your macros? I just logged what I ate so far for the day, and my orange juice already put me over my sugar limit for the day. If I stay under my calories for the day, even if my macros are above the limits I set, will I still lose weight?

tracking macros in and of itself is tracking calories.

a macronutrient is just the part of food that has energy in it. carbs have 4 calories per gram, protein has 4 calories per gram, and fat has 9 calories per gram. If you limit your macros you're also limiting your calories.

At the end of the day calories matter for weight loss (because your body must take that energy from somewhere). Your lifestyle factors and macronutrient ratio will impact your body composition (for example weight lifting and eating adequate protein will help maintain SOME lean muscle tissue).

p.s. if you're looking at MFP "sugar" is a seperate thing entirely, which IMO is just stupid. They count towards your carbs, so i wouldn't worry about the "sugar" section at all as it isn't a macronutrient.

Pure awesomeness right here^^
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is entirely about energy balance and calories are a measure of energy. Macros do matter for other reasons but not weight loss.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Ok. Thank you. I had a eggwhites with feta, banana and peanut butter and oj for breakfast. I am full, and nowhere near my calorie intake for the day. I plan on going to the gym this afternoon as well, so by end of day, I should be way under my calorie limit.

You do not need to be way under your limit. You should try to come close to your goal, not way under it. MFP is also designed so that you eat at least some of your exercise calories back. Of course, you need to make sure you are logging accurately. There are some great stickies for that (on my phone and can't link).
  • justjenny
    Options
    My goals are as such....Your Daily Goal 1,500 calories 169 protein 42 fat 113 carbs 45 sugar

I am currently 130 pounds, looking to lose 15 pounds, lose fat and gain muscle. Will these daily goals best help me reach my goal?
  • caco_ethes
    Options
    My goals are as such....Your Daily Goal 1,500 calories 169 protein 42 fat 113 carbs 45 sugar

I am currently 130 pounds, looking to lose 15 pounds, lose fat and gain muscle. Will these daily goals best help me reach my goal?

Protein only needs to be .75-1 g per lb of body weight.

Maybe make up the difference in fat. That seems low.

• justjenny
    Options
    So make it around 130 g of protein and 70 grams of fat?
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options

No need to make fat that high. Sounds like that was just heidi's preference.

Your macros are fine based on your goal. Again, ignore "sugar" it's not a macro and MFP is broken on sugar tracking.
  • justjenny
    Options
    I just realized I had it backwards. It it set as 160 carbs, and 113 protein.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I just realized I had it backwards. It it set as 160 carbs, and 113 protein.

that's still fine.
  • caco_ethes
    Options

I think it's more like 58g of fat.

My protein goal is currently 110g and I find it difficult to hit even that, but you can give 130 a try.. adjust as needed. :)
  • justjenny
    Options
    Ok. I readjusted my daily goals. It worked out to be 35% protein, 35% fat, and 35% carbs. Does that seem right?

• justjenny
    Options
    1,500 calories 131 carbs 58 fat 113 protein
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Ok. I readjusted my daily goals. It worked out to be 35% protein, 35% fat, and 35% carbs. Does that seem right?

No.... That doesn't make 100%
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,998 Member
    Options
    1,500 calories 131 carbs 58 fat 113 protein

That looks reasonable. But yeah, 35 X 3 doesn't equal 100.

Just make sure you're eating that entire 1500 PLUS extra for your exercise.