Do you pre-log your food?

Options
13»

Replies

• seccotine
    seccotine Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    @nyponbell I should add that I am lucky enough to have my husband doing all the cooking (he is French!) and everything is prepared from scratch, this makes the lifestyle change (I am NOT dieting) much easier.

Good luck to you. Let me know how it goes for you.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    I pre-log. I can't ever just "wing it," but that's me. I'm also a creature of habit, so I don't need to be able to change my mind on a whim.

I log my main meals ahead of time and leave some wiggle room for snacks, or sometimes I just add more to the meals. It depends what kind of mood I'm in.
  • nyponbell
    nyponbell Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I have to say, I love all the different replies, and learning some of the thought process behind people's choices in pre-logging or not. I hope that others have felt as inspired and eager to play around with a better system that works for them, as I have felt reading the comments.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Late to the party, but can I join :D

I plan my meals, and for me, it's actually one of the things that allows me to have a varied and balanced diet. I also love the predictability, and I enjoy looking forward to all the great meals. The fun/puzzle/game aspect also makes it perfect as a hobby. Did I mention I love meal planning? :p

I plan in a spreadsheet, not MFP, and somewhat erratic, partly to make the shopping list, partly "backwards" after I get home with the groceries. Dinners are rotated weekly by theme of the day, and often planned more or less completely two weeks in advance, sometimes I start with to-three alternatives, and narrow it down as the day approaches, or I buy whatever I find that's delicious, cheap and fits. I don't change my mind often, but I am flexible and move things around or replace if I find something better or end up eating out, or whatever.
  • nyponbell
    Options
    @kommodevaran No one is late to the party, 'cause the party doesn't stop! :smile:

Your planning sounds incredible when you do it (I am a planner by nature, but have such a difficult relationship with food I have problems with pre-planning it "properly").

So you have theme days, like Monday is Italian and Wednesday is Breakfast for dinner? (Except maybe not those themes.)
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    kavahni wrote: »
    I pre log some. I like to get my dinner logged early in the day since it is almost always my most calorie dense meal.
    Like estherdragonbat I am Jewish. But, since Shabbat is supposed to be a taste of the Paradise to come, I don't log anything from Friday afternoon until Saturday evening. At all. There will be no reason to watch what we eat or log calories in the next life! :-)

I totally hear that. In my case, though, I've got some food-related anxiety issues that can detract from my Sabbath enjoyment if I don't recognize for myself that my kugel and cookie (plus cheese on a bagel for Third Meal) fit into my calories without putting me over. This is probably my 6th or 7th attempt at serious weight loss in the last 30 years and, for the first time, I actually feel like the emotional eating issues are mostly controlled. And I'm pretty sure that for me, a combo of allowing treats within calories, pre-logging the days when I can't write, and regular exercise are the reasons.
  • Juniper210
    Juniper210 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I prelog my lunch and snack each morning during the work week while I'm eating breakfast. That way I'm not tempted to go out for fast food because I've already logged. Fast food at work is my kryptonite so this Kris me on track. I also like living those so I can ponder what to make for dinner during the day that will fit into my remaining calories. That way by the time I get home, I've usually planned and logged what dinner is going to be.
  • kommodevaran
    Options
    nyponbell wrote: »
    @kommodevaran No one is late to the party, 'cause the party doesn't stop! :smile:

Your planning sounds incredible when you do it (I am a planner by nature, but have such a difficult relationship with food I have problems with pre-planning it "properly").

So you have theme days, like Monday is Italian and Wednesday is Breakfast for dinner? (Except maybe not those themes.)

My planning actually sounds like a lot of work - to me, too! - when I type it out like that (and I'm not even going into details), but it's really very straightforward. I do indeed have a setup like that - Monday is soup/casserole, Tuesday white meat, Wednesday is leftovers from Monday, Thursday fish and so on. I used to think meal planning would mean restrictive and boring food, and it never even occurred to me that I could do it myself (well of course, because I didn't want restrictive and boring food).

I have had to work on my own relationship with food, and getting in a good meal schedule - even before I started planning so extensively - was a great help. I've never had an eating disorder, but I had disordered eating, lots of fear of food and felt quite hopeless. MFP was one of the first steps towards "food security" - I "had to" hit my calories every day, and I was "allowed" to eat anything I wanted. This was liberating. I started to get back to my roots - I'm Norwegian (and you're Swedish, right?) - and reintroduce a lot of the meals and dishes I grew up with. Using fat, sugar and salt to make the food taste good was... not scary, but daunting. I have been afraid of those three for over twenty years. Realizing that I'll be fine - my diet is not going to consist of fat, sugar and salt - and the joy of cooking and eating... simple dishes, made from cheap ingredients... that I could eat food I like without being afraid of getting sick, or fat... I love everything about food now.

Have you seen this?
    What is Normal Eating?

Normal eating is going to the table hungry and eating until you are satisfied. It is being able to choose food you like and eat it and truly get enough of it -not just stop eating because you think you should. Normal eating is being able to give some thought to your food selection so you get nutritious food, but not being so wary and restrictive that you miss out on enjoyable food. Normal eating is giving yourself permission to eat sometimes because you are happy, sad or bored, or just because it feels good. Normal eating is mostly three meals a day, or four or five, or it can be choosing to munch along the way. It is leaving some cookies on the plate because you know you can have some again tomorrow, or it is eating more now because they taste so wonderful. Normal eating is overeating at times, feeling stuffed and uncomfortable. And it can be undereating at times and wishing you had more. Normal eating is trusting your body to make up for your mistakes in eating. Normal eating takes up some of your time and attention, but keeps its place as only one important area of your life.

In short, normal eating is flexible. It varies in response to your hunger, your schedule, your proximity to food and your feelings.
    http://www.ellynsatterinstitute.org/hte/whatisnormaleating.php
  • erienneb66
    erienneb66 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Occasionally I prelog. Like if I know I'm cooking for dinner for my husband and I, I'll log the dinner so I know what to do with the rest of my day. But otherwise, no, because I'm a child and I don't like being told what to do even if it's myself. It's just psychological. I'll bring food to work, planned for my day, but if I log it before I eat it I get aggressive even though I was going to eat it anyway?
  • kommodevaran
    Options
    erienneb66 wrote: »
    Occasionally I prelog. Like if I know I'm cooking for dinner for my husband and I, I'll log the dinner so I know what to do with the rest of my day. But otherwise, no, because I'm a child and I don't like being told what to do even if it's myself. It's just psychological. I'll bring food to work, planned for my day, but if I log it before I eat it I get aggressive even though I was going to eat it anyway?
    This is fascinating! I couldn't understand that kind of reasoning until I read Gretchen Rubin's "Better than before" - and initially I believed I was a Rebel too... but you are a rebel. I'm a Questioner. As long as I get a good answer (it doesn't have to be the right answer), I'm happy.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    I prelog for the day every morning. I do not prelog several days in advance though.

This^^
  • nyponbell
    Options
    @kommodevaran I am Swedish, yes! It is difficult to get back into any Swedish-food rots though as I'm also a vegetarian, and much is meat-based (like in almost every culture!).

I hadn't read the Normal Eating text before, so thank you for sharing it. It's something that I need to remind myself off, I think.

@erienneb66 I'm similar! I can make a great plan, but if I'm having an off day, I just want to rebel against my own plans (even if I actually also want to follow them). Some times I can follow the plan though, which is nice. It sounds like you have found a way that works for you, which is fantastic and all that matters - even if it might be annoying (or I find it annoying when I'm acting like that).
  • ncfitbit
    ncfitbit Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I like this thread! I wonder about this, too, and all these different answers are great.

For me, I do SO much better when I pre-log my day in advance and yet I don't always do it because there's this rebellious part of me that wants to be spontaneous in my choices. But that is a poor excuse. Most of the time I really enjoy eating the food I planned and usually make room for a treat at the end of the day so that keeps me from feeling deprived or tempted to eat treats during the day.

You said you wish there was a check box if you ate as planned, but I consider pre-logging to accomplish that in advance. The reward for eating as planned is you don't have to do any more work! You can just check your diary as complete at the of the day, right? My issue is that I probably will have to tweak a serving or ingredient or two so that is annoying, but still better than having to enter the whole meal and possibly going way over on calories.
  • thewindandthework
    thewindandthework Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I prelog meals that I have made ahead of time, which would be my breakfasts and lunches for workdays.

Dinners and days off are unplanned, so that wouldn't work for me.
  • sosteach
    sosteach Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I only pre-log if I want to see if I can eat something in particular that I want. Like can I afford to have corn on the cob with butter.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    I pre-log as much as possible, but I don't feel like I *have* to eat exactly that meal plan just because I pre-logged it. Instead, I use it to see how many calories I have left to play with after I've put in the things I know I'll eat. For example, I plan dinners for the week in advance, so I pre-log those. I almost always have the same thing for breakfast, so that goes in too. Now I know how many calories I have left for lunch and snacks.
  • infinitynevermore
    infinitynevermore Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I prelog all meals up to 3 days in advance, just to see how I can work my mom's casseroles into my day.
  • vnb_208
    vnb_208 Posts: 1,359 Member
    Options
    I prelog breakfast pretty much have same thing everyday and prelog lunch & snacks dinner is always up the air
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,981 Member
    Options
    Not always but sometimes prelog to meal plan when I 'm running out of available cals.
  • nyponbell
    Options
    @ncfitbit I usually have to tweak a lot, as I don't weigh until I actually eat it (also I sometimes change). I have solved my non-ticking box "problem" by using Google Keep and list my meals there to cross off. :smile: