How to lose weight correctly? I'm dyin lol???

Options
2»

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Life is a miracle. Choosing a healthier life should not make you feel like death. Since permanent weight loss takes a while I suggest you pick weekly goals. These should be behavioural rather than weight goals. Each week evaluate your progress and if something is not working, change it up. This will give you a sense of progress without the guilt. Here's a plan:

1. Log all your food for two weeks. Note what MFP tells you about your diet; how many calories you are consuming daily and what it is composed of.
    2. Make a small change you can live with. It might be as simple as switching from latte to black. Do this for a week and assess.
    3. Please love all your foods. Take your time and enjoy every bite. This will keep you from mindless eating that does nothing for you. Plus you get more pleasure from every bite.
    4. Repeat.

This plan is simple and sustainable. It is not fast and does require determination. But not killer determination. It is just enough.
  • bkberry1
    bkberry1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    MODERATION - steady deficit - consistent nutrition & time

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/arrghmatey1

I enjoyed reading your blog! Very inspiring! Keep up the good work!
  • pita7317
    pita7317 Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    Set small weight loss goals weekly, monthly ? Not the total amount you want to lose. This really helped me stay motivated.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    pita7317 wrote: »
    Set small weight loss goals weekly, monthly ? Not the total amount you want to lose. This really helped me stay motivated.

I personally was never hurt by having a large weight loss goal of 110 lbs. I just didn't care how long it would take me to get there.
  • weightlossmfp1
    weightlossmfp1 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    You are not alone in this! I've struggled for 30 years. I've lost and gained prolly thousands of pounds and tried every diet and gimmicks out there...but I started MFP and logging every lick, bite and sip. Drink lots of water and stay connected with the successors on here. Ask questions, search recipes, read others success stories! Take ONE day at a time and set small goals! This helped me..I have 105 more lbs to lose and I'm actually motivated for once, thanks to the good Lord!
    I'm having knee surgery in 2 weeks, but I found chair fitness on YouTube called HASfit (check it out, they have lots of non-chair videos too) and I do 30-45 minutes 5 days a week and water aerobics! Good luck and I'll be praying for God to give you strength to do this the healthy way! ☝

Thank you so much! God bless you and good luck in your journey!
  • weightlossmfp1
    Options
    1. I echo everyone who said to choose small, sustainable changes. For me, it started with taking my dog for a thirty minute walk every morning. Then I started weighing myself. Then I started tracking my calorie intake. Then I added in an evening walk. In January I started running. Right now I am working on adding in resistance training. I worked on one sustainable goal or habitat a time and tried to really get each one down before moving on to the next.

2. Approach this for the long haul. This has a number of different components. Firstly, you are not on a diet, you are making permanent changes to the way you eat and live. This means that you should never introduce changes to the way you eat and live that you are not planning on doing permanently (or seeing if you can do permanently, it's fine to experiment--more on that later). Secondly, there is no need to rush. You are working on building a healthier you one step at a time. The period of weight loss is just a practice time to get your new habits working together cohesively before you enter maintenance. Use this time wisely, enjoy it even, and never feel the need to rush. Celebrate each small accomplishment, both scale victories and non-scale victories.

3. Experiment! Find out what works for you. Some things sound like really good ideas and turn out not to work so well for you. That's fine; if it doesn't work then ditch it. However, you should definitely play around with different areas and see what works for you. Experiment with meal timing, macronutrient breakdowns, different exercises, new foods, how frequently you weigh in--find out what works for you.

4. Find out what makes you feel full. This is one of the biggest areas that helped me. For me, I have found that high fiber and high protein keeps me feeling much more full than what I previously ate. Thus while you can eat whatever you want and still lose while in a calorie deficit, sometimes incorporating specific foods or macronutrient/micronutrient goals can make staying in a deficit easier.

5. Use a weight trending app (such as Libra for Android, HappyScale for iPhone, or TrendWeight for desktop). Your weight is effected by a myriad of factors, not just your fat loss. Your weight can be effected by the amount of sodium and carbs you are eating (both of these increase water retention), what time of day it is, if you worked out recently, if you are constipated, what time of the month it is (for women), and stress. When I tried to lose weight back in college I did not realize this, and I weighed in weekly. I took each week's number very personally as it showing that I was either a success or failure at losing weight. However, this time around I started weighing in daily and tracking using Libra--this changed everything for me! I am up a pound and a half today from yesterday, but it's all cool because I know I ate more carbs and food than usual yesterday. This weight will dissipate with time. Using a weight trending app really helped me to treat my weight as an impersonal data point instead of as an inherent statement on my value as a human being.

6. Add people as friends on MFP! It has been super helpful to me to have friends who I aspire to emulate, friends who I mentor, and friends to encourage/to provide encouragement. Often it helps me to keep pushing onward, knowing that I am not alone.

7. Read all the stickied most-helpful threads in the forum. These are incredibly helpful.

8. Seriously, get a food scale. It's pretty cheap (usually about fifteen to twenty bucks on Amazon or from Wal-Mart, Kroger, etc.). With it you should weigh all non-liquids in grams. It is faster than using measuring cups and spoons, has less clean-up than cups and spoons, and (most importantly) is way more accurate than cups and spoons. Using a food scale has seriously helped me feel more confident about my calorie intake and less afraid of accidentally going over.

All the best of luck--you can do it! If you need any help or encouragement then please feel free to send a message or friend request.

Thank you so much. (: you were so helpful and I am downloading Libra now!
  • weightlossmfp1
    Options
    1. I echo everyone who said to choose small, sustainable changes. For me, it started with taking my dog for a thirty minute walk every morning. Then I started weighing myself. Then I started tracking my calorie intake. Then I added in an evening walk. In January I started running. Right now I am working on adding in resistance training. I worked on one sustainable goal or habitat a time and tried to really get each one down before moving on to the next.

2. Approach this for the long haul. This has a number of different components. Firstly, you are not on a diet, you are making permanent changes to the way you eat and live. This means that you should never introduce changes to the way you eat and live that you are not planning on doing permanently (or seeing if you can do permanently, it's fine to experiment--more on that later). Secondly, there is no need to rush. You are working on building a healthier you one step at a time. The period of weight loss is just a practice time to get your new habits working together cohesively before you enter maintenance. Use this time wisely, enjoy it even, and never feel the need to rush. Celebrate each small accomplishment, both scale victories and non-scale victories.

3. Experiment! Find out what works for you. Some things sound like really good ideas and turn out not to work so well for you. That's fine; if it doesn't work then ditch it. However, you should definitely play around with different areas and see what works for you. Experiment with meal timing, macronutrient breakdowns, different exercises, new foods, how frequently you weigh in--find out what works for you.

4. Find out what makes you feel full. This is one of the biggest areas that helped me. For me, I have found that high fiber and high protein keeps me feeling much more full than what I previously ate. Thus while you can eat whatever you want and still lose while in a calorie deficit, sometimes incorporating specific foods or macronutrient/micronutrient goals can make staying in a deficit easier.

5. Use a weight trending app (such as Libra for Android, HappyScale for iPhone, or TrendWeight for desktop). Your weight is effected by a myriad of factors, not just your fat loss. Your weight can be effected by the amount of sodium and carbs you are eating (both of these increase water retention), what time of day it is, if you worked out recently, if you are constipated, what time of the month it is (for women), and stress. When I tried to lose weight back in college I did not realize this, and I weighed in weekly. I took each week's number very personally as it showing that I was either a success or failure at losing weight. However, this time around I started weighing in daily and tracking using Libra--this changed everything for me! I am up a pound and a half today from yesterday, but it's all cool because I know I ate more carbs and food than usual yesterday. This weight will dissipate with time. Using a weight trending app really helped me to treat my weight as an impersonal data point instead of as an inherent statement on my value as a human being.

6. Add people as friends on MFP! It has been super helpful to me to have friends who I aspire to emulate, friends who I mentor, and friends to encourage/to provide encouragement. Often it helps me to keep pushing onward, knowing that I am not alone.

7. Read all the stickied most-helpful threads in the forum. These are incredibly helpful.

8. Seriously, get a food scale. It's pretty cheap (usually about fifteen to twenty bucks on Amazon or from Wal-Mart, Kroger, etc.). With it you should weigh all non-liquids in grams. It is faster than using measuring cups and spoons, has less clean-up than cups and spoons, and (most importantly) is way more accurate than cups and spoons. Using a food scale has seriously helped me feel more confident about my calorie intake and less afraid of accidentally going over.

All the best of luck--you can do it! If you need any help or encouragement then please feel free to send a message or friend request.

Thank you so much. (: you were so helpful and I am downloading Libra now!

Also, how do I send a friend request? I don't know how lol
  • CaladriaNapea
    CaladriaNapea Posts: 140 Member
    Options

I sent you a friend request, but just so you know for the future, you click on the person's username, a pop-up appears (at least on the desktop), click the person's name again, and there should be two big green buttons, one says "Send message" and the other says "Add as friend."
  • oolou
    oolou Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    I'd agree with the advice to set small goals. I'm currently focused on the next 5 pounds for this month. If I had to think about the whole amount I need to lose and how long it's going to take, I'd cry. Or rather, not cry but be very down. So yeah - small goals!
  • weightlossmfp1
    Options

I sent you a friend request, but just so you know for the future, you click on the person's username, a pop-up appears (at least on the desktop), click the person's name again, and there should be two big green buttons, one says "Send message" and the other says "Add as friend."

Thankyou!
  • ThatFrigginGuy99
    ThatFrigginGuy99 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of good tips here. Take and apply them. Track what works best for you. It's not a race and it will not happen as fast as you want it to. Be patient and have fun with it. Good luck.