Running

Options
So I've decided to get up early in the mornings and run :) any suggestions on how you get motivated to get up and run early? Also, how many have had really good results from running? Like, how long or how far do you run? :)

Replies

• BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Just make yourself do it. I'm not a morning person, so I have to make myself get out of bed, but it is worth it in the end. I started running with C25K last fall and now I'm doing a training program for a 1/2 marathon. This week's workout is three 3-milers and a 4-miler. Each week the mileage will increase.
    Good luck!
  • ♥xenawarriorprincess♥
    Options
    Start out with a warm up to get your muscles ready to run...for example walk for at least 5 minutes then start your jog/run. Is this running new for you? It is better to walk quickly, then add short bursts of jogging/running for 30 seconds and go back to walking for a few minutes until u can work up to jogging only...check out the couch to 5k forums
  • lisahightower2
    Options
    I LOVE running! I recommend the Couch to 5K program for just starting out. My goal is to eventually do a 1/2 marathon but that's for when I've lost most of my weight. Currently, I run 3 times a week, 30 minutes each time. It comes to about 2.5 miles (more or less if I added in sprints).
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Honestly, you get use to it. At some point, you even look forward to it. I run half marathons and enjoy the quiet time in the morning to get my thoughts together for the day.

I run 3 times a week during the work week, 4-7 miles each, then a long 90-120 minute run on Saturday morning.
  • corsayre8
    corsayre8 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    No tips other than just do it. Once you get in the habit, it gets easier.

I run anywhere from six to ten miles, and am working up to higher milage. Strictly a trail runner, so my pace is slower, but I find it easier in the joints, an better work out, and much more relaxing mentally than pounding the pavement.

As for results, yes, I defiantly contribute my success in large part to my running. In fact it is pretty much the only exercise that I have stuck with since summer hit. Midnight hikes down to the river for skinny dipping excluded ;-) and with the milage I am putting in, it is keeping my weight stable, even dropping ever so slightly, despite the fact that I am no longer logging or even counting.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    +1 on C25K
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    I just get up and do it. Try to get my running clothes on before I'm fully awake and can talk myself out of it. :laugh: I get my running clothes together the night before so I don't have to look for them.

I run three mornings a week... 3 miles on Wednesday, 3-6 miles on Friday, and 4-12 Sunday. And, yes, I've had great success running and losing weight. :smile:
  • barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    i hate running in the morning. but ive been forcing myself to do it as part of my two a days.

my favorite thing is an energy drink before i run.. lol not the best thing for you.. but they say drink something small 8oz about 15 min before you run-- something with a little sugar (YES SUGAR!-- ITS GOOD FOR PRE WORKOUT). it's your choice (juice, gaterade prime.. etc).
    also maybe try a small bit to eat one day vs empty stomach and see which you like better.. everyone is different =]

but yay running =] !
  • barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    i hate running in the morning. but ive been forcing myself to do it as part of my two a days.

my favorite thing is an energy drink before i run.. lol not the best thing for you.. but they say drink something small 8oz about 15 min before you run-- something with a little sugar (YES SUGAR!-- ITS GOOD FOR PRE WORKOUT). it's your choice (juice, gaterade prime.. etc).
    also maybe try a small bit to eat one day vs empty stomach and see which you like better.. everyone is different =]

but yay running =] !

but i run EVERY SINGLE DAY =] usually around 6 or 7 miles a day. usually split up into two runs. i run a pace of 8:15 usually. my fastest mile is 6:39. fastest 5k is 24:19...

without running-- i know for a fact i would be overweight/obese. running is life.
  • fastbelly
    fastbelly Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 4 of C25K at the moment and I would also recommend this.
    You can also check the runner's world SmartCoach here:

http://smartcoach.runnersworld.com/smartcoach/my_plan.jsp

They also have a Iphone and Android App now.
  • marcusisntfunny
    Options
    So I've decided to get up early in the mornings and run :) any suggestions on how you get motivated to get up and run early? Also, how many have had really good results from running? Like, how long or how far do you run? :)

Bumping this because I love running and seeing newborn runners.

To be honest, motivation is easy to find. It's easy to wake up and see a poster on your wall that gives you that little kick to get out and run, but the thing that will keep you up and moving is Dedication. Dedication to your ultimate goal, and dedication to your newfound hobby.

Remember: Motivation will get you off your butt, but Dedication will KEEP you off of it!