How do you know when almond milk goes bad?

Options
So don't laugh at me or anything but im bad at these things...i have the vanilla sweetened almond milk and it says on the box "use within 7-10 days of opening but there is an expiration date on it that says mid july! Soooo.....to be on the safe side i just wanna know....does it get sour like regular milk? How long do you drink yours for?

Replies

• sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    has it already been 10 days since you opened it? Since they come in such small cartons I end up drinking it all within that time anyhow. I've never had any go bad on me.

I imagine it would smell a little weird. You could pour a tiny bit in a cup and sip it and if it tastes weird toss it.
  • WhisperALullaby
    WhisperALullaby Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I am often in the same boat. Won't lie, it's fine past the 10 days.

If it starts tasting funny, looks funny, or smells bad, toss it out! That's my general rule with food.
  • GaveUp
    GaveUp Posts: 308
    Options
    I wouldn't go by the July date.... 7-10 days sounds right.
  • Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    My rule is if it doesn't move, I'll eat it.

Ok that's a lie. If I can catch it, I'll eat it.

;)
  • CodyD18
    CodyD18 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    It stays good longer when it is unopened. That's why it says July. Once you open it then it is open to the air and stuff and it goes bad a lot faster.
  • nickiog
    nickiog Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    ive kept almond milk for 2-3 weeks with no problem...i think its more a freshness thing then a spoilage thing..just like regular milk can still be drank a week or so after the " expiration " date.
  • katschi
    katschi Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    When it starts talking back to you. :happy:
  • jeremygoodell
    jeremygoodell Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I just had a bowl of cereal with some bad almond milk in it. After eating it, I googled and found this thread. I thought I would add my findings.

First off, I hate to waste anything so I ate it all anyway. I wouldn't have eaten sour cow's milk, that would be gross, but sour almond milk didn't strike me as anything that would cause me bodily harm. Too early to report on side effects. If I live to tell about it, I'll check back in later.

But I did want to say how I knew it was bad. First, there was an odor, I can't quite explain it, somewhere between nail polish remover and bleach, a definite chemical tang to it. Then the taste, I would say it had a taste similar to the smell. Almost like someone had dumped a half ounce of Listerine in my cereal. And finally the texture, I found several lumpy white solids toward the bottom of the bowl, but I stirred liberally with my spoon and hardly noticed.

As I said, I ate every last bite, and it's left a horrible aftertaste in my mouth. A full cup of coffee hasn't yet erased it.
  • jeremygoodell
    jeremygoodell Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    As someone has kindly pointed out to me, I never did report back on my findings. I'm sure some of you were concerned about my health.

Well, I'm happy to report that the old almond milk had absolutely no short term effects on me. I didn't die. I didn't even have a stomach ache.

As for long term effects, we'll just have to wait and see.
  • hsellers
    Options
    Haha!!:laugh:
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    Hahaha - jeremy, thanks for the update!

According to my research the date on the carton is the "good by" date if the carton remains unopened. Once opened, it's supposed to be good for 7 - 10 days (but usually lasts longer). I keep a marker in my kitchen and write the date on the carton that I open it. Easier to keep track that way.
  • numinousnymph
    numinousnymph Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    It will smell really nasty -- pretty much like spoiled regular milk. Probably taste disgusting too -- but I didn't try it once I smelled it! Happened to me once when I opened a carton that I had opened about 2 weeks earlier.
  • jjungjr45
    jjungjr45 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This is not the final word, but I pulled out the 1/2 gallon container (the container was already opened), looked at the 'date' which was 5/02/17. Hmmm, is this good or not. Smelled ok, and a quick taste was ok. Poured me a glass for dinner and smelled it again (cannot be too careful), tasted it again and it still tasted ok. Looked fine with no clumps floating around . . . so I had almond milk for dinner. That was last night and no Ill affects today. My take is regardless of what they say . . . it is good 2 months after the printed date on the container.
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    A great question, I'm glad this thread was started,I often buy several different kinds of almond milk, chocolate, vanilla and regular and totally forget when I opened them,I've never noticed them go bad though,now I know what to look/smell for
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,601 Member
    Options
    I drink 2 oz at a time every day of the shelf stable cartons and it's still fine by the time the carton's empty.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »
    I drink 2 oz at a time every day of the shelf stable cartons and it's still fine by the time the carton's empty.

Same here. I have never thrown a carton out after 7-10 days after opening.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,201 Member
    Options
    jjungjr45 wrote: »
    This is not the final word, but I pulled out the 1/2 gallon container (the container was already opened), looked at the 'date' which was 5/02/17. Hmmm, is this good or not. Smelled ok, and a quick taste was ok. Poured me a glass for dinner and smelled it again (cannot be too careful), tasted it again and it still tasted ok. Looked fine with no clumps floating around . . . so I had almond milk for dinner. That was last night and no Ill affects today. My take is regardless of what they say . . . it is good 2 months after the printed date on the container.

For the person who tagged the quoted post as 'woo'...

I've also had a half gallon container of cashew milk that smelled, looked, and tasted no different two months after I opened it. Might as well go ahead and call 'woo' on me to, but I drank it and nothing happened so I'll continue do so until I can see or smell a 'bad' product. Not wasting my money dumping perfectly good food down the drain.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    jjungjr45 wrote: »

For the person who tagged the quoted post as 'woo'...

I've also had a half gallon container of cashew milk that smelled, looked, and tasted no different two months after I opened it. Might as well go ahead and call 'woo' on me to, but I drank it and nothing happened so I'll continue do so until I can see or smell a 'bad' product. Not wasting my money dumping perfectly good food down the drain.

Ah, but did they mean "woo" as in "what a load of woo" or did they mean "Woo! Your milk was fine!"