Options
2»

Replies

• leanitup123
    leanitup123 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    Dnarules wrote: »
    Before teaching, I was a food microbiologist. Buffets make me nervous :).

Ahh. Do tell.

Went to a buffet once. Kid ate off the serving spoon. :):):)
  • dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    Dnarules wrote: »
    Before teaching, I was a food microbiologist. Buffets make me nervous :).

Ahh. Do tell.

Went to a buffet once. Kid ate off the serving spoon. :):):)
    If you go, try to arrive early, when the food is first set out and before other customers have a chance to pull any shenanigans. :)
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Hubby doesn't like buffets, so we don't go at home. But my family often does when I visit them....I take the opportunity to eat all the foods, including desserts, that I don't eat on a regular basis.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I would stay away.
  • atjays
    atjays Posts: 798 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    It's a shame that you classify food as 'healthy' or 'unhealthy' as you'd probably enjoy the buffet more if you saw it all as fuel, ate what you enjoyed in moderation and maybe did a bit more exercise to make room for the yummuness!

This is great advice. There's nothing wrong with wanting to low carb, it has its advantages, but food is food. Yes some provides more nutrients than others but there's nothing wrong with indulgence in moderation if you go out to the buffet. On the rare case I go to a buffet I try to do two things. A) Only ONE plate of food. B ) Try to get a reasonable split between good high protein sources and some carb heavy fried foods. And lastly, ENJOY yourself. There's nothing you're going to do at a buffet that you can't work off in the gym or with a couple days at a calorie deficit.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Not a big buffet fan. I lived in a dorm all through college and ate from a buffet three times a day. I can remember family coming to visit once and looking forward to a meal off campus and then hiding my disappointment when it was a buffet restaurant meal. :lol:

Anyhow, I'd hit the salad bar and load up and then look for baked chicken or a turkey carving station. I'm eating more carbs these days but chances are the choices will be highly caloric (macaroni and cheese, etc.) so I'd avoid most. I would eat a pickled egg if they had one because I like those.
  • ChristinaaH84
    ChristinaaH84 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    atjays wrote: »
    It's a shame that you classify food as 'healthy' or 'unhealthy' as you'd probably enjoy the buffet more if you saw it all as fuel, ate what you enjoyed in moderation and maybe did a bit more exercise to make room for the yummuness!

This is great advice. There's nothing wrong with wanting to low carb, it has its advantages, but food is food. Yes some provides more nutrients than others but there's nothing wrong with indulgence in moderation if you go out to the buffet. On the rare case I go to a buffet I try to do two things. A) Only ONE plate of food. B ) Try to get a reasonable split between good high protein sources and some carb heavy fried foods. And lastly, ENJOY yourself. There's nothing you're going to do at a buffet that you can't work off in the gym or with a couple days at a calorie deficit.

S
    atjays wrote: »

I've been doing great this way. Carbs are my enemy because I work mostly at a desk full time and then school when i get out of work I usually dont exercise. I spend that extra time wirh my son. We might so something outdoors if its nice out. But i have lost 31 lbs. Maybe one day I will go to the buffet and eat whatever i want and just hit the gym. It will be a nice change. So good advice. Something to think about.