Suggestions for a beginner please

Options
I am now at my goal weight and am reluctantly realising that I need to tone in order to be happy with the way I look. Can anyone suggest some body weight routines that I can do at home on YouTube to try? I know myself well enough to know that I'm not going to go to the gym. I have very little upper body strength so really does need to be for a beginner. Thank you in advance.

Replies

• DodieAnnB
    DodieAnnB Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Following this post. Not anywhere near my goal weight but got a comment from my daughter this weekend that has burned in my mind. I asked her if it looked like I had lost weight ( I have lost about 20lbs total) and she says: "I guess I see you all the time so I don't notice but you do seem a little saggier" ....uggg not really the answer I was looking for but it did make me think...I should start now on trying to firm up while I go. So I am here to steal any suggestions you might get :smile:
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Here are 2 good routines perfect for beginners. If you need to adapt the moves when you start do so. Work on completing the programmes as written, once you can do that it is time to move on.
    Re jumping jacks, don't do them if they bother you, replace with step ups or walking in place- keeping the arm movement.

There are tones of programmes on YouTube, just find ones that fit your needs.

I did these and then moved on to AllPro.

Bodyweight
    https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

This HasFit programme is good to begin with. HasFit has a lot more programmes that you may like too.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=U0bhE67HuDY

Cheers, h.
  • ellefox70
    ellefox70 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    DodieAnnB wrote: »
    Following this post. Not anywhere near my goal weight but got a comment from my daughter this weekend that has burned in my mind. I asked her if it looked like I had lost weight ( I have lost about 20lbs total) and she says: "I guess I see you all the time so I don't notice but you do seem a little saggier" ....uggg not really the answer I was looking for but it did make me think...I should start now on trying to firm up while I go. So I am here to steal any suggestions you might get :smile:

Well I guess it's good to know we r not alone! When complaining about the weight of a heavy door my 7 year old pointed out that it wasn't going to get any lighter, so I would just have to get stronger. Out of the mouths of babes...
  • ellefox70
    ellefox70 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Here are 2 good routines perfect for beginners. If you need to adapt the moves when you start do so. Work on completing the programmes as written, once you can do that it is time to move on.
    Re jumping jacks, don't do them if they bother you, replace with step ups or walking in place- keeping the arm movement.

There are tones of programmes on YouTube, just find ones that fit your needs.

I did these and then moved on to AllPro.

Bodyweight
    https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

This HasFit programme is good to begin with. HasFit has a lot more programmes that you may like too.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=U0bhE67HuDY

Cheers, h.

Thank you, I really appreciate it!
  • GrayRider61
    GrayRider61 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Nerdfitness.com is a great site.
  • SylviazSpirit
    SylviazSpirit Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Fitnessblender online has some great body weight routines. There are tons to choose from. Darebee is another great place. There are also lots of apps that give you a routine to do. I used "sworkit" in the past and really liked it but there are others as well. :smile:
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels, Denise Austin, the Firm, Shaun T all have great workouts incorporating light handweights and bodyweight.