fruit and vegetables

Options
2»

Replies

• emmerrs
    emmerrs Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I try not to judge - when I first joined MFP - I didn't know better - honestly. It's a process. Many newbies need only to have more time and to educate themselves.

Here's a WONDERFUL link that someone gave me when I first joined MFP. It really helps you make the switch from processed to clean - though I admit - I'm only 75-95% clean. :blushing:

http://www.extremely-fit.com/fitness-tips/2011/01/8week-transition-diet/

That link IS wonderful!! Thank you for posting :)
  • Mucky_Duck
    Mucky_Duck Posts: 73
    Options
    I home-cook every meal and if I eat out it is only ever to have coffee or a smoothie when out with a friend. I always want to laugh though at my flatmate's mother who whenever she is over and im in the kitchen expresses big amazement that I'm being so "good" and making my own meals. I never thought it was all that unusual... but I'm starting to learn I probably take whole foods a little further than most of my student/working/flatting circle.
  • szczepj
    szczepj Posts: 422
    Options
    There are a lot of reasons people might have difficulty incorporating fresh foods into their diaries. For some it's an issue of availability, some a financial issue and for others a question of time crunch and/or preparation.

Rather than criticizing, perhaps you can try to offer up some suggestions as to how to achieve a healthier diet and incorporate natural foods into one's menu?

Seems to me that that approach would be far better received than the one you're taking.

Agreed, as a college student only being able to eat what's on campus because of the meal plan I find it extremely hard to get out of the 'processed food' department, considering that
    s the majority of what's available here.

I also think that this website is suppose to be about helping each other and doing the best we can. I'm highly offended by your post.
  • taem
    taem Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of reasons people might have difficulty incorporating fresh foods into their diaries. For some it's an issue of availability, some a financial issue and for others a question of time crunch and/or preparation.

Rather than criticizing, perhaps you can try to offer up some suggestions as to how to achieve a healthier diet and incorporate natural foods into one's menu?

Seems to me that that approach would be far better received than the one you're taking.

This is true too. Often I am stretching my dollars for fresh food. It isn't easy, but I try to make it work. No one is perfect. I also find that if I cut out processed foods all together, I will cave and eat a ton of it. So I do try to incorporate processed a few days a week. It helps my budget, but its still healthier than what I ate before! Trust me on that one.

Potatoes, onions, oatmeal, bean sprouts, broccoli, frozen 1 lb veggies and dark collard green bags are affordable and are great for you. Fresh produce markets usually have a cart where they sell bell peppers and such at a reduced price because you have to eat them the same day. Some places have specials on dry beans.

There are plenty of ways to eat on the cheap and healthy, you just have to go and look. Feel free to look at my diary. You will see that I eat simply and inexpensively. I do buy some supplements but I feel that it is worth the money when I am in a pinch. Fiber is something I will always buy because it is the best way to stop me from binging. That ultimately means I pay for fiber and don't pay for the cookies or ice cream.

I am always looking for great deals and as long as I am not picky, I can find that I eat well and cheaply.
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Not mine & I've long since stop worrying about other people's food choices.
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options

I get what you are saying but sadly this is a myth. It's actually cheaper to buy/eat fresh or at the very least frozen, and if you organize yourself it doesn't take more time than making the processed stuff. I do food prep once a week. Cut veg for salads, make a pot of bean, a pot of brown rice or whatever grain I plan to eat & boil half dozen eggs. Throughout the week none of my meals take more than 15mins to prepare. I shop on sale, clip coupons and shop with a list so I don't waste time in the market and can stretch my food dollar.
  • driventotheend
    Options
    I think it is easier at first to track processed foods because they have labels and nutrition facts and most of them are already entered into the system. MFP has a fantastic recipe builder but it does require more time and effort to enter in a recipe than it does to enter in a packaged food. I cook from scratch a lot so I make good use of the recipe builder and it is great. I think the longer that I am on here, the easier it will get because I will be building up my personal recipe database.

Anyway, I eat real food AND I eat plenty of food (1800-2300 cals/day). I see so many diaries where people are eating less than half of what I eat, and I really can't relate. I make meals and I eat them!
  • eveunderground
    eveunderground Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I think many people start out by counting calories, which allows them to eat whatever they're used to (lots of processed stuff, but just less of it)....then they gradually realize that eating whole foods will allow them to actually eat a larger quantity of food than if they eat the processed stuff...and that's when they make that shift.

That's how it went for me anyway. It's often difficult to make the jump directly from eating lots of processed food to eating mostly unprocessed food. And really as long as in the end you get to a point where you're eating the healthy stuff, it's all good.

So basically, everyone has to start somewhere...
  • bgmunoz
    bgmunoz Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I just started adding fruits and veggies to my diet and taking out all the junk. It's like u all say, it's hard! But it's a process and a journey, right? After all, it doesn't matter if u loose the weight if u don't fallow a healthy life style. it's a battle that as an individual u must make on ur own. I agree that eating fruits and veggies is cheaper but it gets boring if u don't know what to do with it (my problem) and I personally have a hard time reaching net calories BUT this post and it's comments have helped :) I would appreciate any support on this new path if anyone wants to add me :)
  • Samantha402
    Options
    I have to say that I am completely guilty of being one of the newbies some of you guys are talking about. I just started counting calories and yes, most of everything i eat is processed or easy to make. So I am just eating what I used to but just less of whatever it is.
    I enjoy reading these kind of discussions because I am learning new things everyday!
    Thanks everyone :-)