Chapman ice cream density - math done :)

Velts2
Velts2 Posts: 3 Member
edited July 2017 in Food and Nutrition
so they list it in ml, which I hate, because grams is a uniform and accurate way to measure stuff, and mils for whipped thing of unknown density is just ridiculous (sorry everyone measuring everything in cups, I like precision)

so did rough math and good news, 1/2 cup of Chapman's no sugar added ice cream in maple walnut is pretty much 100 g :)
in sorta frozen state. I hope that's what they mean by half a cup - frozen ice cream, not liquid

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Halo top?
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Not in Canada. Chapman's is a delicious Canadian brand. And honestly... I'd rather have a small serving of real ice cream than a whole pint of "ice cream".
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    I was thinking the same thing - I was going to take a measuring container and pour in water to the appropriate ml mark, and then weigh the whole thing to get the gram weight.

Then using the same container, I empty the water and add in the Chapmans (I like frozen yogurt) to reach the same weight, and call that the "weight" of the equivalent mls.

Glad to hear its about 100 grams, which granted, isnt very much, but its better than nothing. thanks!

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    annacole94 wrote: »
    Not in Canada. Chapman's is a delicious Canadian brand. And honestly... I'd rather have a small serving of real ice cream than a whole pint of "ice cream".

I'm not a massive halo top fan myself, as it gives me a bit of stomach upset, but here are the ingredients of the Chapmans product the OP is talking about:

Modified Milk Ingredients, Cream, Maltitol Syrup, Walnut Pieces, Skim Milk Powder, Mono and Diglycerides, Guar Gum, Locust Bean Gum, Cellulose Gum, Carrageenan, Natural Flavour, Caramel Colour, Sucralose, Lactase.

compared to halo top ingredients - for peanut butter cup

Milk and cream, eggs, erythritol, milk protein concentrate, organic cane sugar, prebiotic fiber, high fat cocoa, peanut butter (roasted peanuts, sugar, peanut oil, salt), vegetable glycerin, sea salt, natural flavors, organic carob gum, organic guar gum, organic stevia.

and halo top vanilla

Milk and cream, eggs, erythritol, prebiotic fiber, milk protein concentrate, organic cane sugar, vegetable glycerin, vanilla extract, vanilla beans, sea salt, organic carob gum, organic guar gum, organic stevia.

.... Not sure why the hate for halo top is necessary.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    The Chapman's ice cream I usually buy has cream as the first ingredient. I don't buy diet ice cream.

Actually, I just eat my ice cream out of the measuring cup. Dirties fewer dishes.
  • Velts2
    Halo top?
    halo ingredients look nice to me, should give it a try!
    my ice cream trouble is sugar, it's either PACKED with ton of it, or some dairy-free, vegan, plastic and sad. or its all sugar..
    I recently moved here, and somehow canada made me want ice cream, never liked it too much :) so I have no clue about brands and particularly Canadian brands

at the end of the day I guess I would go for normal full fat badass type.. but too sweet
  • Velts2
    sarahthes wrote: »
    The Chapman's ice cream I usually buy has cream as the first ingredient. I don't buy diet ice cream.

Actually, I just eat my ice cream out of the measuring cup. Dirties fewer dishes.

good call with the cup, but when you weigh it - you end up with equal dish-saving :) just a spoon and a cup