Can I lose weight while being sedentary?

Options
I am morbidly obese weighing in at almost 500 pounds. I am also sedentary. Myfitnesspal calculated that I need to eat 2700 calories a day. It said that if I keep on eating 2700 calories or less a day that I could get down to 477 pounds in 5 weeks. If I keep eating this many calories a day while being sedentary could I lose all that weight? Could I lose 10 pounds this month if I stick to eating that much calories a day?

Replies

• Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    Of course you can but the more you can do to get moving, the better. Also, while everyone here parrots not losing more than 2 pounds a week, doing just that is not only doable but reasonable at your size. Of course, that is not to say you need to lose it at any given rate but rather, whatever you are comfortable with.
  • everher
    everher Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Just a step at a time.

If you accurately log everything you eat (weighing solid foods on a food scale and measuring liquids) and stay within the calories MFP gives you on a consistent basis, yes you will lose weight.
  • Fathater36
    Fathater36 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Yes, diet is the main cause behind weight loss. Eat natural foods, try to walk in your house , 10 minutes at a time. You will notice a huge change.
  • sunfastrose
    sunfastrose Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Fathater36 wrote: »
    Yes, diet is the main cause behind weight loss. Eat natural foods, try to walk in your house , 10 minutes at a time. You will notice a huge change.

Any definition of "natural" is unnecessary. Eat mostly nutritious food when possible, but don't aim for perfection. Aim for within calorie goal at first, and then go from there.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    I am morbidly obese weighing in at almost 500 pounds. I am also sedentary. Myfitnesspal calculated that I need to eat 2700 calories a day. It said that if I keep on eating 2700 calories or less a day that I could get down to 477 pounds in 5 weeks. If I keep eating this many calories a day while being sedentary could I lose all that weight? Could I lose 10 pounds this month if I stick to eating that much calories a day?

the 5 week prediction could be accurate if you ate the exact same calories and the same way every day,and if you include exercise you would have to burn the same amount every day for 5 weeks. ignore that part but yes,you an lose weight being sedentary just by eating less.and 10lbs a month may be ok for awhile but the lower you get in weight then you will need to lose less. weight loss is also not linear,some weeks you may lose, some you may gain(due to water retention,waste,etc) and some you may stay the same.
  • ellafoster2
    ellafoster2 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you for asking this question. I,too, weigh over 450 and I am unable to do much. I couldn't believe the amount of food I should eat and most of the time I can't. I don't eat if I am not hungry. I didn't think I could lose any weight, but most of the people here say it is possible.
    Please go to the doctor before lowering calories and or exercising.
    Good luck, and again, Thanks.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Yes, but
    you're not going to get to sixpack sitting on your shrinking butt.

With 300 lb to lose, doing so while resolutely sedentary will cause the mass lost to be approximately 60% fat and 40% muscle. You can avoid this dreaded fate by beginning a weight lifting program right away. There are many to choose from, all are available with an online search. Start your search with "stronglifts 5x5", and if that doesn't appeal to you, find another. You'll need to do something called "progressive heavy lifting". The point of this is to keep the muscle, lose the fat, and have the sixpack when you finally do get to 7% body fat.

OP, please consult your doctor before beginning a lifting or other exercise program. Don't take random Internet advice on what you should be doing; there may well be special medical considerations for someone at your weight.

And yes, at your weight, you can lose weight by consuming 2700 calories a day.

This ^^

And wishing you good luck on your journey OP :)
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options

Yes, although the 5 weeks is not always 100% accurate.

Especially after a few weeks, try to eat enough protein.

• TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    @ceiswyn Congratulations on your progress. I'm sure your story will be a great inspiration to the poster who started this thread.
  • lizpaddon
    lizpaddon Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi Fatty2sixpack, I totally understand. I am needing to lose about 90 pounds and have been busy writing books and researching on computer so much the weight had crept up on me. I used to do a lot of dancing but activity onset asthma has made that too difficult for more than 2 decades. It is not easy but there are ways and they say when you really are ready the right information comes. I do not know your finances but if you can get or get use of a vibration machine that will support your present weight, then just standing on it for 5 minutes will burn about 200 calories. It will make your legs skin itch for a few moments as blood gets moving in areas that have not been moving so well for some time but keep doing it at least once per day. It will not only burn a few calories for you but will help keep your circulation moving. Here's wishing you an extremely great outcome from your intentions to reduce your weight and be healthier. Count me in as a penpal lets get this excess gone! Liz