Biggest Loser....

Options
Wow is all I can say about the silver team! This is the first season I've watched this show...is drama like that common?? Which I don't get, they are all there for the same reasons, they CHOSE to be there! And then big suprise, she doens't put any effort at the camp, and then looses a hole bunch at home!? :noway: Crazy. I love this show, it is so modivational....but I often wonder what a nutritionist or doctor (one who isn't paid by the show) would say about those numbers! I thought to keep weight off you need to lose it slower. And come on....6-8 hours of working out a day?! I was reading the TV guide and they showed that the season one winner only kept 30 pounds off! And most of the other winners or runners up (except for last seasons) gained an average of 30 pounds (which considering there overall loss, isn't bad, but still!) So I really wonder if them losing weight this fast is good. Also, one mentioned having to have surgery to remove all the loose skin....another result of quick weight loss? :huh:

Replies

• GrnEyz
    GrnEyz Posts: 360
    Options
    Wow is all I can say about the silver team! This is the first season I've watched this show...is drama like that common?? Which I don't get, they are all there for the same reasons, they CHOSE to be there! And then big suprise, she doens't put any effort at the camp, and then looses a hole bunch at home!? :noway: Crazy. I love this show, it is so modivational....but I often wonder what a nutritionist or doctor (one who isn't paid by the show) would say about those numbers! I thought to keep weight off you need to lose it slower. And come on....6-8 hours of working out a day?! I was reading the TV guide and they showed that the season one winner only kept 30 pounds off! And most of the other winners or runners up (except for last seasons) gained an average of 30 pounds (which considering there overall loss, isn't bad, but still!) So I really wonder if them losing weight this fast is good. Also, one mentioned having to have surgery to remove all the loose skin....another result of quick weight loss? :huh:
  • porka29
    porka29 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Me and my bf have not watched this show either. I have followed some of the things, like Ali cause she's in the prevenion magazine that I bought - but bf was arguing with me the whole time watching (I don't know the rules and/or how the outcome is.....only what I've read) so I was at a loss on what to say cause I haven't researched it. I asked this on another post but wanted to let you know that you're not alone as we were a little werided out the same way. Hopefully this or my other post will explain this...
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    Ive seen the show maybe once and I refuse to watch it again. They push these people too hard in my opinion, and turn them into pop culture spectacles. "OMG LOOK AT HOW FAT THEY ARE!" "Ha ha! Look at that fat guy on the treadmill!"
    I find it so offensive...
    Plus I know if I was put through an exercise and diet program as cruel and rigorous as theirs, I'd totally crash emotionally like some of the contestants do.
    It also gives people unreasonable expectations about weight loss. (Aka the skinny people who will tell you "If those people on biggest loser can lose that much weight why is it SOOO hard for you?")
    Overall I just hate the idea of it...:angry:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options

Sadly the guy that had won on a Season from early on (not sure which season) gained back 130 out of 170 lbs. back :ohwell: he was the one who mentioned he'd had surgery to remove the abdominal skin (it's quite common for heavier folks that have lost a larger amount of weight, slow or not to have excess skin and need to have some removed for mobility, health reasons). He mentioned in an article once the limelight was off him is when he just started eating in his old patterns. He's now back in the gym and working hard to regain his healthy eating skills once again.

I read today how 95% of folks that lose gain it back.. OUCH, that's a high percentage, they weren't specifically talking about larger bodies but anyone that loses. I do think that % may not be taking into account folks that lose in a healthy manner as a lifestyle change but group it all together and consider anyone having lost to have been on a diet...so I don't feel the 95% would really accurately account for many of us that have relearned how to eat.

That's why I find it more difficult to watch BL anymore...I don't see the relearning to eat segments but only the 'diet' mentality of losing losing losing as the only goal. I only hope they are being select in simply not sharing the other parts that are hopefully taught. Losing that much weight would be very difficult to keep off unless one learns to make complete lifestyle changes. Slow or fast weight loss, the shock for ones mind and body is great! What I mean by great is it's a huge change mentally as well, to adjust our brains to being smaller but not able to see it fully. Least that's been my experience on my journey:ohwell: :flowerforyou:

Late night thoughts

FC:heart:
  • porka29
    porka29 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I will share this with bf tomorrow thanks!
  • samantha_dawn_81
    Options
    I have watched every season of Biggest Loser and I love the show. Yes they may lose it to fast and not real healthy, but they have Dr.s there all the time monitoring them. I find it inspiring in away to be able to see that you can lose all that weight it's awesome. It may take me longer but I know I can do it. Alot of those people are only there for the game to. They win I think a quarter of a million. Something like that. Anyway, just in my opinion, I love the show.
  • bonski
    bonski Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I watched every season except season 1.
    The way I look at if I work 1/4 of the way they workout on that show, I am going to lose weight.
    I find it very inspiring, seeing the contestants push themselves hard, pushes me to push myself hard.

From what I heard the 1st season winner, Ryan Benson, just lost the weight for money, he didn't lose it for a new way of life I read on his page that he basically fasted and didn't eat or drink anything for the two days leading up to the final weigh in. He gained most of it back.

They do stress calories in vs calories out and healthy eating, so they give the people the foundation they need to try and maintain.

Bonnie
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    My wife & I watch the show regularly. For us, the biggest payback is the "tools" they receive while there. It is a wonderful gift to be healthy. I cherish my health greatly. Even though we do not have much weight to lose, we are inspired by the contestants who work very hard to save their own lives. The thing that bothers us the most is the non-stop commercials every 5 minutes and the plugs for Cheerios (Jillian).
  • pixiestick
    pixiestick Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    When Jillian does the plugs, I just want to laugh! She is so awkward at trying to sell something (unless it is pain on the treadmill). :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I like the biggest loser, and I think that this last episode in particular was one of the better ones. Why? Because it showed some realistic stats: the partners who had been sent home got back on the scale and we saw the achievements that can be made at home. And sure, Sionne (spelling?) lost 25lbs in 30 days, but he's a BIG guy and that's ok. Laura lost 7, Shannon 15. That's 2-3.5 in a week, numbers we have all seen before. I also think that this week's episode was great because Joelle lost "0" pounds in a week on the ranch. Regardless of whether you are at fat camp or not (now they just call it "the biggest loser ranch"), weight loss corresponds with effort. Period. And I am glad that Aubry, Laura, and Joelle got told off for their excuses (the same excuses that got me to 80lbs excess on my small frame).

It's TV, but these are real people. I find it fantastically motivating for my reality of day-in and day-out counting calls and getting to the gym.
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    I asked one of my trainers once about the show. He didn't think it was particularly unhealthy. As he pointed out all they do every day is eat, sleep and workout. When you have all day to devote to that it makes sense that you could lose weight quickly. I do wonder how many calories they eat in a day. I mean if they are doing this even somewhat healthy they should be eating a bunch of their exercise calories.

Overall, I think slow and steady wins the race. The show is definitely inspiring though. It's easy to relate to them.
  • renae77
    renae77 Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    These people work out about 8 hours a day so of course they are going to drop big numbers during weigh in. If all I had to do was eat, sleep, and exercise I could lose more quickly too. But I am doing what I can with the time I have and that is good enough for me. There are doctors on there that watch their progress and make sure they are ok to do what they do.
  • BEFORE
    BEFORE Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    You have to put the show in perspective. It is not a service to overweight people, it is all about ratings.
    The thing is yes they are on display but they are competing for money. It is no different than game shows displaying crazy people so they can win a buck. The biggest loser contestants work out for 6-8 hours and I am sure that includes lots of stretching, cool downs, massages and icing of sore joints.
    I feel the 6-8 hours in training is one reason why they gain the weight back. You cant train for more than 2 hours and have a regular life. Not to mention you are burning lots of calories at the ranch and when you leave you wont even burn half of them.

Just my stupid opinion.

PS cant help it I still watch.
    :ohwell:
  • GrnEyz
    Options
    I did like how they showed the results of people at home. At first I didn't like that twist, but now I think it was a good idea. And the trainers even said that "Its the olympics of weight loss" at the ranch, and for the people at home who have jobs and families...the numbers they were showing were outstanding. I still hate that men can lose weight easier than women! lol The black team and Blue team are CRAZY with their numbers! I do hate the commercials within the show....so annoying! There is another, less publicized, show on Discovery health which falls along the same lines of BL. What I like about that is they do a week at camp and then go home and incorporate what they've just learned into their daily lives...and they still meet with their trainers everyday to workout. And they seem to emphasize the overall picture (workingout AND nutrition) vs. just lose, lose lose! Also, I love how after someone is booted they show their progress at home. Dan (is that his name...the orange team?) Lost 101 pounds! he looked great and that was in 3 months....good for him!
  • spiritmi
    spiritmi Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    greeneyes, do you happen to know the name of the show you refered to on the discovery channel?...thanks, joan
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    I just saw that show you are talking about the other day...

http://health.discovery.com/national-body-challenge/national-body-challenge.html

Real people with real lives...it was great
  • Chellekk
    Chellekk Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I'm not a regular watcher of the show. If I catch a few minutes, then I do, but I don't seek out the program. But...

What I have learned from the show is it's easy to lose weight when you have a trainer and people picking out foods and a meal plan for you and have NO distractions from life (work, kids, family, ect.). When you get home and all those factors come into play...it's tougher then the contestants think!

It's not easy to shop for food, cook, get your kids to eat it for that matter, work out regularly and oh yea work 40-40+ hours a week. They are taking people who have no clue how to cook or workout and making them go home with only a few weeks or months of learning how to. It's not enough time to "learn" how to live healthy. I'm sure it's a shocker and easy to fall right back into eating well.

That's my take.
  • GrnEyz
    Options
    greeneyes, do you happen to know the name of the show you refered to on the discovery channel?...thanks, joan

National Body Challenge