Calories

Just wanting some advice, been on 1900 calories per day, according to mfp to lose weight , not losing at all.Should i lower calories ? Or any other suggestions wecomed.

Replies

• rianneonamission
    rianneonamission Posts: 854 Member
    Need more information: height, current weight, activity level.

And: how accurate are your logs? Do you weigh everything?
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    How long has it been since you lost weight?
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited July 2017
    If you put in your stats correctly, and chose weightloss as a goal, you should lose weight on the number of calories MFP suggested.

First determine whether you are losing weight or not. How long have you been doing what you are doing? How often do you weigh yourself? On the same scale, same time, same place, same clothes every time? Have you recently upped your activity level? What do you mean by "not losing at all"? I am sure you have seen some different readings on the scale. Is the difference between day 1 and now not as large as you expected? How much did you expect? How fast you can lose, depends on your size. How tall are you, and how much do you weigh?

If you aren't losing weight, you need to eat less. Not through lowering calorie goal, but through tightening up logging. Double check every entry (with label, website, USDA), log everything, in the correct amount, after you have weighed the amount you actually ate. Hit your calorie goal (+/-50) every day. You will lose weight doing this.

As you lose weight, or if you start getting uncomfortably hungry, you may have to adjust your calorie goal. But for now, just hit your calorie goal.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    No-one can (sensibly!) give you calorie guidance without knowing anything about you, how long you have been sticking to that calorie allowance, how accurately you are sticking to that allowance.....
  • spll50
    spll50 Posts: 21 Member
    A few good ideas posted.My info is 5ft 7 54 years young started 3 months ago starting weight 244lbs current 243.
    Lightly active, walk daily through work 10.000 steps weight train 3 times a week for 45 mins and15 mins on cross trainer
    Track everything i eat, good or bad.weigh measure. cereal and milk , use mfp for other calories.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    spll50 wrote: »
    A few good ideas posted.My info is 5ft 7 54 years young started 3 months ago starting weight 244lbs current 243.
    Lightly active, walk daily through work 10.000 steps weight train 3 times a week for 45 mins and15 mins on cross trainer
    Track everything i eat, good or bad.weigh measure. cereal and milk , use mfp for other calories.

So you only weigh and measure cereal and milk? Why not everything else?
  • GrumpyHeadmistress
    GrumpyHeadmistress Posts: 666 Member

Do you measure all solids that you eat using a scale? And only use measuring spoons/cups for liquids?
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member

If you have only lost 1lb in 3 months then you are mainly eating at maintenance level. Cut 250 calories a day and re evaluate after 4 weeks.
    You should then have lost another 2lb.
  • spll50
    Weigh everything or use info given on all other foods have and use a jug to measure fluids
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member

In that case you really should be losing weight - you are effectively eating at maintenance calories.

Two options:
    1/ Carefully review your logging accuracy, weigh your food (no cups or spoons). Check you are using accurate database entries (many are dreadful). If you open your diary people are happy to help spot any logging problems.
    2/ Carry on logging exactly the way you are but reduce your calorie goal by about 250 cals.

Option #1 is accuracy, option #2 is consistency.

Both methods may need the numbers tweaking based on results over time.
  • spll50
    will review all as suggested .
    cheers
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    willgt78 wrote: »
    Most clients I help always say I want loose weight. One I peel back the onion what they really want to do is burn fat and tone up. I promote Intermittent Fasting (IF) for over health that lean body fat happens to be a positive side affect of. I don't cut calories, I don't way my food, I don't meal prep or walk around with a bag full of containers and at 39 I'll put my physique up against anyone. If you want help add me and ask away.
    Yeah, but do you milk and meatballs?