Lost then gained but strictly following the plan

Options
In the first week, I lost 2 lbs. I have logged everything I've eaten, and done exercises daily. Mostly cardio due to rheumatoid arthritis. They wanted me to consume 1250 calories per day, which is way more food than I'm used to consuming! This app will only give me feedback if I eat that many calories, and if I do accomplish that, they say I should weigh 132.8 lbs. in 5 weeks. Somehow that doesn't seem right and now I've gained back to 2 little lbs I originally lost! Any advice or help? I'm about ready to throw in the towel!

Replies

• ludds
    ludds Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    how are you measuring what you are logging?
  • rianneonamission
    rianneonamission Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    In the first week, I lost 2 lbs. I have logged everything I've eaten, and done exercises daily. Mostly cardio due to rheumatoid arthritis. They wanted me to consume 1250 calories per day, which is way more food than I'm used to consuming!

1250 is way more than normal?

That's not normal, you will have been starving your body of essential fuel. You've probably suffered metabolic adaptation.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    You have to keep plugging away. Weight loss does not come off evenly. It's a bumpy ride downhill.

How are measuring your intake? Do you use a food scale?

• pfbuckeye83
    pfbuckeye83 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Yes, I measure everything I eat and log it immediately.
  • L1zardQueen
    Options
    Food scale?
  • pfbuckeye83
    Options
    ludds wrote: »
    how are you measuring what you are logging?
    Weight loss is not a steady thing, it can bounce up and down. You need to watch the over all trend.

Could you be ovulating or TOM? High salt meal? New to exercise? It can happen for a load of different reasons.

1250 calories can not be more than you are used to eating or you would not have weight to lose.

• pfbuckeye83
    Options
    I have been on medication that caused my weight to skyrocket to 220 lbs. I lost the first 60 on my own. I'm never hungry and have been that way as long as I can remember. Yesterday, as an example, I was not hungry at all and only consumed 100 calories for the day. I'm no longer on the medication because of the weight gain it caused. But, it is true that I have not consumed this many calories with the exception of during pregnancy. My guess is the medication because in my 30's-40's I weighed 125 lbs maximum.
  • L1zardQueen
    Options
    Medication does not have calories, they may have made you hungrier but no more than that.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I have been on medication that caused my weight to skyrocket to 220 lbs. I lost the first 60 on my own. I'm never hungry and have been that way as long as I can remember. Yesterday, as an example, I was not hungry at all and only consumed 100 calories for the day. I'm no longer on the medication because of the weight gain it caused. But, it is true that I have not consumed this many calories with the exception of during pregnancy. My guess is the medication because in my 30's-40's I weighed 125 lbs maximum.

Your body works on calories. Eat the amount you burn off and you stay the same weight.
    Eat 250 calories a day more and you'll gain 0.5lb a week.
    Eat 250 calories a day less and you'll lose 0.5lb a week.

It's simple science. Medication can cause water retention and increased appetite. It can't create body fat.
  • rianneonamission
    rianneonamission Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Yesterday, as an example, I was not hungry at all and only consumed 100 calories for the day.

That really isn't healthy. You body is probably already burning muscle to sustain days like that. With what you have said I think you are probably best off seeing a dietician to help you reverse diet back to a normal level and learn to eat despite not feeling hungry.

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    In the first week, I lost 2 lbs. I have logged everything I've eaten, and done exercises daily. Mostly cardio due to rheumatoid arthritis. They wanted me to consume 1250 calories per day, which is way more food than I'm used to consuming! This app will only give me feedback if I eat that many calories, and if I do accomplish that, they say I should weigh 132.8 lbs. in 5 weeks. Somehow that doesn't seem right and now I've gained back to 2 little lbs I originally lost! Any advice or help? I'm about ready to throw in the towel!

First you need to give any plan more than 1 week. Keep at it 3-4 weeks and then review your progress. It takes time to lose weight in a healthy way.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10084670/it-is-unlikely-that-you-will-lose-weight-consistently-i-e-weight-loss-is-not-linear/p1
    Be aware that you can retain water from things like new exercise, menstrual cycle, eating more carbs or sodium than normal.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10359984/women-menstrual-cycle-weight-and-fitness-matters/p1

Second if you are not hungry but eating well under 1200 calories and gaining weight you are most likely consuming more than you think. You are not going to gain weight eating only 100-800 calories. Really check the accuracy of your logging. Use a food scale. Check that the database entries you are using are correct. Some are not right.

You should not eat less than the recommended 1200 minimum because you will have a hard time adequately nourishing your body. If you are having trouble getting to your calorie goal then consume more calorie dense foods and drinks. Don't eat a super low fat, low carb diet. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10142490/a-list-of-calorie-dense-foods/p1

Also weigh yourself on the same scale around the same time of day under the same conditions.