What does planking do? Is it counted as a strength exercise?

Options
txcraftr
txcraftr Posts: 133 Member
I just started trying to plank. Can anyone tell me about it and different versions of it?

Replies

• joeybrid
    joeybrid Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Planking strengthens your transverse abdominal muscle which is under the "6 pack" so you can't actually see it. It is very important due to its role in core stability and keeping a flat stomach.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Planks are a very basic core strengthening exercise. They are someplace to start. Like any exercise, you want to do them properly and pay attention to form so that you will increase not only strength, but awareness of how your muscles are working.

Many people spend way too much time on planks. Here is a really good article on a more comprehensive approach to core work (except I disagree with the elbow placement for the landmine press).

https://www.t-nation.com/training/core-training-that-isnt-stupid
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    The Traditional(elbows/fists) plank variation is IMHO the least useful, because it's the most complicated to get into and out of and the easiest to cheat on.

I prefer the High/low AKA front leaning rest(pushup-up/down) positions.

You can also practice the standing and laying variations.

In fact, you should start with the standing and laying variations.

standing... while barefoot(preferable but not obligatory) keep your feet flat and grab the ground with your toes, zipping the tension up through your calves, thighs, glutes, Abs/back(the tension in your abs is like that you would use to sit up, not like you would use to "suck in" the back/glute tension is just enough to balance your abs. through your chest and into your arms, bringing them either up to vertical or up with elbows bent and hands at shoulder height.

Laying... same thing but start with arms resting in "superman" and pulling them up under your shoulders as the zipper reaches them.

High, same as laying, but after zipping up your arms, allow the tension to raise you up while extending your arms fully... Recover by lowering to ground and revering the zipper.

Low, Come up to high, then Lower until arms are parallel to ground but no part of body is touching the ground. Recover either to high, or to laying.

Good hold times, Standing(30 seconds) laying(60 seconds) High(2-3 minutes) Low(30 seconds)

Recover before your form starts to break down and tension begins to cause shaking/quivering.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    If you've ever tried planks for a more than a few seconds at a time, you know that they count as a real exercise. Squats might be the only exercise I hate more than planks.
  • stanmann571
    edited July 2017
    Options
    DX2JX2 wrote: »
    If you've ever tried planks for a more than a few seconds at a time, you know that they count as a real exercise. Squats might be the only exercise I hate more than planks.

Just because something causes discomfort doesn't make it a real exercise.

I agree that some plank variations are a real exercise.

Most of the discomfort/shaking/muscle awkwardness you get from planks are caused by doing them wrong.
  • DX2JX2
    Options

Most of the discomfort/shaking/muscle awkwardness you get from planks are caused by doing them wrong.

So the muscle burning, sweating, straining, and shaking that I experience when doing planks isn't because I have zero core strength? It's caused by bad form? Please elaborate.

Which plank variations would you not consider real exercise? Why? What separates one from the other? Is there a technical reason for this or is it only your opinion?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Basic core exercise...
  • stanmann571
    Options

So the muscle burning, sweating, straining, and shaking that I experience when doing planks isn't because I have zero core strength? It's caused by bad form? Please elaborate.

Which plank variations would you not consider real exercise? Why? What separates one from the other? Is there a technical reason for this or is it only your opinion?

I wrote a dissertation above, It should answer your questions.

If you have specific questions, by all means ask.
  • DX2JX2
    Options

How do you build muscle if you do not hold the plank position until it becomes hard to do so anymore? I understand not holding past that point by compromising form, but don't all muscle developing exercises rely on a bit of struggle (for example, weight lifting to failure)?

Which plank variations are not real exercise? Why?
  • Rammer123
    Rammer123 Posts: 679 Member
    Options

How do you build muscle if you do not hold the plank position until it becomes hard to do so anymore? I understand not holding past that point by compromising form, but don't all muscle developing exercises rely on a bit of struggle (for example, weight lifting to failure)?

They're all real exercises. They are just progressions and regressions of the same exercise.

Basically just to make the exercise easier or harder for people and offering slight changes to make things a little different to keep your body adapting.

Keep working at it and it will become easier.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    txcraftr wrote: »
    I just started trying to plank. Can anyone tell me about it and different versions of it?

there are a zillion different versions. Single arm, single leg, side plank, face up plank, weighted, mt climbers (not sure if thats still planking. Plank with your feet up on a stool. Get a TRX and put your feet in it with your hands on the ground. and there is a ton you can do, Put your hands in the TRX with your feet on the ground. Get two trx and plank with your hands and feet in both. Just google plank variations and tons of things will come up.

Planks can be beneficial if they are included with a good full body and core routine. I have a plank variation come through my program about every other week. Last week was a few 60 second faceup planks on the GHR.

Doing them daily as your only core has become a fad, they are better than doing nothing, but your time could be so much better used on a proper core workout. They aren't a muscle builder, they are just a static hold.
  • stanmann571
    Options

Lifting to failure is generally not recommended unless you are lifting for mass vs strength.

And I never suggested not holding the position until it becomes hard.

You'll find that the times given for each position. Minus standing and laying which are practice not training are quite sufficient for "hard."

The position I dislike as stated above is the traditional elbows down plank. Which encourages cheating and poor form.
  • joeybrid
    Options

Lmao. No you didn't you just said in your opinion they are the least useful because you don't like them.
  • stanmann571
    Options
    joeybrid wrote: »

Lmao. No you didn't you just said in your opinion they are the least useful because you don't like them.

They're a bad exercise and I explained why. if you disagree present a counterpoint.
  • joeybrid
    edited July 2017
    Options

They're a bad exercise and I explained why. if you disagree present a counterpoint.

Once again. Lmao. The only thing you said was they are easy to cheat and hard to get into. Nowhere do you explain what you mean other than your own anecdotes and opinion. Just because you're a slow learner or cheat on standard planks doesn't mean they are inferior.
    But let me go ahead and present a counter point along the same lines. Standard planks are easy to pickup and least easy to cheat on
  • stanmann571
    Options

Once again. Lmao. The only thing you said was they are easy to cheat and hard to get into. Nowhere do you explain what you mean other than your own anecdotes and opinion. Just because you're a slow learner or cheat on standard planks doesn't mean they are inferior.
    But let me go ahead and present a counter point along the same lines. Standard planks are easy to pickup and least easy to cheat on

Disagreeing isn't a counterpoint.

I can do a traditional or standard plank for 20+ minutes with no shaking and no external indication that I'm cheating.
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    My fitness instructor mixes it up with a walking plank where you go from elbow to pressup position on each arm and then back down to elbow, repeat. ^_^ also wall sits are great too, lean against the wall feet shoulder width apart thighs at right angles to your calves and the wall, don't put your hands on your thighs, rest them against the wall. :)
  • joeybrid
    Options

Disagreeing isn't a counterpoint.

I can do a traditional or standard plank for 20+ minutes with no shaking and no external indication that I'm cheating.
    Stop deflecting and post actual evidence other than your opinion. Once again. Because you think something is hard or easy to cheat doesn't mean that your anecdote applies to everyone.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say that standard planks are a "bad" exercise for someone starting out. They are just a very incomplete exercise for training the core, and they are given way too much importance.

There is one standard I like to use: doing a lot of different "core" exercises has improved my ability to perform planks (I never do them unless I am demonstrating for clients), however doing planks has almost never improved my ability to perform more advanced core exercises.

Any exercise can be made harder and any exercise can be "cheated". I don't know that planks are any different in that regard. But continuing to do planks for longer and longer lengths of time is not the best use of exercise time.

Training the "core" means training more anti-extension, anti rotation, and anti lateral flexion. The role of the core is to provide "stiffness" while the limbs are moving, and to translate force-usually from lower to upper body.

Once you can do a plank for 30-60 sec with proper form, it is much better to increase the loading or to do more challenging types of planks than to continue to do planks for a longer period of time. Mostly that just trains you to do planks, and not much else. There are much better ways to train your core. Some I referenced in my previous comment. Here are some more:

https://drjohnrusin.com/complete-core-training-be-better-than-the-crunch/
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    first time i tried planking, the biggest amazement was how sore my intercostals were the next day. those are the little short ones that keep your ribs connected to one another. basically, the muscles that would be spare ribs if you were buying them in the grocery store.