Can I lose weight while being sedentary?

Options

Replies

• Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can! But if you can walk a bit, that would help a lot! But you don't need to for weight loss.
  • SkimpyMrsCarter
    SkimpyMrsCarter Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Yes
  • Colectable93
    Colectable93 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I have problems with my joints I have bad knees. I do aqua exercises 3-4 days a week you could even just to to the pool and walk for an hour or even a half hour the water gives you resistance with out the harshness on your joints . I do an hour to 2 hours , no way I could do that on land . Check with your doctor before anything don't do much drastic With your food to start you should lose nicely following the calories of mfp suggestions and good luck !
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Step 1 is to learn how to accurately log what you are eating, so you know you are stopping at the 2700. To do this right you should get a food scale and learn how to track your food. There is good info in the stickies on how to do this. Remember the 2700 is your goal. You want to hit it and not go over. As you lose weight, keep your stats up to date (every 10 lbs or so) and that calorie amount will decrease to keep up your rate of loss. So enjoy the 2700 while you can, it will decrease over time as you lose weight.

As to activity, best I could say is try to walk some. Don't think about anything but going for a short walk. This will get easier with time.

Proper weight loss is slow. You'll see 2-3 lbs per week, so even 10 lbs a month may be too much. Focus on 2 lbs per week and accept that it is real slow.

Read the success stories linked to above. And, as much as you don't want to, take some pictures of yourself now to look back on. I didn't and regret it.

Good luck
  • TracyV125
    TracyV125 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    @fatty2sixpack as others have told you....yes, you will lose weight. If you can walk around a bit that would be great too. If it's too hard for you right now it will get easier as you lose weight. Make an appointment with your doctor to help you figure out what you can do safely. Wishing you the best of luck!!!! I found the key to success is believing in yourself. You can do it! :)
  • LexiKazoo95
    LexiKazoo95 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    willgt78 wrote: »
    fatty2sixpack yes it is possible. Best advice i can give you is if you are medically cleared to research intermittent fasting or a ketosis type diet. https://youtu.be/h6aMN6NLOTQ you can do this brother if you need more info or support add me and I'll be glad to help. Note the traditional way of cutting calories and slowly starving your self is not going to work for you.

You are being corrected on this stuff in at least 3 threads dude.

This made me laugh out loud for some reason
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    lizpaddon wrote: »
    Hi Fatty2sixpack, I totally understand. I am needing to lose about 90 pounds and have been busy writing books and researching on computer so much the weight had crept up on me. I used to do a lot of dancing but activity onset asthma has made that too difficult for more than 2 decades. It is not easy but there are ways and they say when you really are ready the right information comes. I do not know your finances but if you can get or get use of a vibration machine that will support your present weight, then just standing on it for 5 minutes will burn about 200 calories. It will make your legs skin itch for a few moments as blood gets moving in areas that have not been moving so well for some time but keep doing it at least once per day. It will not only burn a few calories for you but will help keep your circulation moving. Here's wishing you an extremely great outcome from your intentions to reduce your weight and be healthier. Count me in as a penpal lets get this excess gone! Liz

how is it burning 200 calories just by standing there?
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Hi Fatty2sixpack, I totally understand. I am needing to lose about 90 pounds and have been busy writing books and researching on computer so much the weight had crept up on me. I used to do a lot of dancing but activity onset asthma has made that too difficult for more than 2 decades. It is not easy but there are ways and they say when you really are ready the right information comes. I do not know your finances but if you can get or get use of a vibration machine that will support your present weight, then just standing on it for 5 minutes will burn about 200 calories. It will make your legs skin itch for a few moments as blood gets moving in areas that have not been moving so well for some time but keep doing it at least once per day. It will not only burn a few calories for you but will help keep your circulation moving. Here's wishing you an extremely great outcome from your intentions to reduce your weight and be healthier. Count me in as a penpal lets get this excess gone! Liz

They don't burn anywhere near that much, it does as much as walking from what I've read. However I can imagine it might be good for improving circulation in someone who is obese and very sedentary which could be beneficial.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

They don't burn anywhere near that much, it does as much as walking from what I've read. However I can imagine it might be good for improving circulation in someone who is obese and very sedentary which could be beneficial.

I know I was asking the person who stated it. yeah it has been proven to improve circulation in those who are obese/morbid.
  • AgidGirl
    AgidGirl Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Hey there! Sounds like you're getting some really fantastic advice here so I'm not going to flood with you with anymore. Here is a FANTASTIC podcast I listened to recently about a woman who lost over 300 pounds. She started out just changing they way she ate and eventually incorporated in exercise. You should give it a listen...LOTS of good stuff. GOOD LUCK to you, friend!

http://www.halfsizeme.com/179/
  • kyubeans
    kyubeans Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    You are being corrected on this stuff in at least 3 threads dude.

Omg, this made me literally laugh out loud. :lol:

• tlanger251
    tlanger251 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I am morbidly obese weighing in at almost 500 pounds. I am also sedentary. Myfitnesspal calculated that I need to eat 2700 calories a day. It said that if I keep on eating 2700 calories or less a day that I could get down to 477 pounds in 5 weeks. If I keep eating this many calories a day while being sedentary could I lose all that weight? Could I lose 10 pounds this month if I stick to eating that much calories a day?

I just lost 19 pounds being completely sedentary doing the Ketogenic diet.. I love it. In six months when I don't have to do research and writing all day, I'm going to work out, but until then I just eat under 1055 calories (i'm 5'4" and 127).

It really is a math problem. Eat less calories than your burn. Your first chunk of weight loss is usually water, stay hydrated!! When you lose weight, you'll have more energy and might want to be more active. Good Luck! Oh and if you can't stick to 2700, don't get discouraged, maybe that is too big of a deficit. Adjust a little as needed.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    ceiswyn wrote: »
    I started at almost 400 lbs, and at the time was unable to exercise due to joint problems (which were exacerbated by my weight, but not caused by it). Some days, I could barely limp the hundred metres across the car park.

For the first few months of this life change, therefore, I was losing weight by calorie counting alone. However, I spent that time eating really very little (slightly less than was healthy) so I can't comment on whether it's possible to lose weight eating 2700 kcal. The maths is probably right, but if it isn't working for you after a month or so you can always drop down a bit.

On the subject of exercise, while I was severely limited I did do what I could. I started off by walking a couple of hundred metres down the road, sitting on the wall for five minutes to rest my joints, and then walking back; just that, twice a day. After a couple of months, I found I could do without the rest. A couple of months after that, I found that I could occasionally walk around the block.

It is now ten months since I began. I can now walk briskly for half an hour, with occasional outbreaks of jogging. I cycle to work a couple of times a week (two miles downhill... the cycle home is rather more painful!). I go to the gym twice a week and hit the weights and machines. I swim 1km every Sunday morning. And I feel great.

Great job!

Due to knee problems, I too started slow and over time gradually worked up to being able to exercise more. I feel and sleep so much better when I exercise.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    Thank you for asking this question. I,too, weigh over 450 and I am unable to do much. I couldn't believe the amount of food I should eat and most of the time I can't. I don't eat if I am not hungry. I didn't think I could lose any weight, but most of the people here say it is possible.
    Please go to the doctor before lowering calories and or exercising.
    Good luck, and again, Thanks.

Before people starting logging everything they eat, it is common for them to think they are eating less than they actually are.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    tlanger251 wrote: »
    I am morbidly obese weighing in at almost 500 pounds. I am also sedentary. Myfitnesspal calculated that I need to eat 2700 calories a day. It said that if I keep on eating 2700 calories or less a day that I could get down to 477 pounds in 5 weeks. If I keep eating this many calories a day while being sedentary could I lose all that weight? Could I lose 10 pounds this month if I stick to eating that much calories a day?

I just lost 19 pounds being completely sedentary doing the Ketogenic diet.. I love it. In six months when I don't have to do research and writing all day, I'm going to work out, but until then I just eat under 1055 calories (i'm 5'4" and 127).

It really is a math problem. Eat less calories than your burn. Your first chunk of weight loss is usually water, stay hydrated!! When you lose weight, you'll have more energy and might want to be more active. Good Luck! Oh and if you can't stick to 2700, don't get discouraged, maybe that is too big of a deficit. Adjust a little as needed.

why are you eating so little? at 5"4 you could eat more and still lose weight. that is too little for someone of your height.1200 is the least you should be eating unless you are an outlier, are under 5' tall,elderly/sedentary.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

why are you eating so little? at 5"4 you could eat more and still lose weight. that is too little for someone of your height.1200 is the least you should be eating unless you are an outlier, are under 5' tall,elderly/sedentary.

Geez. My question was at 5'4" and 127lb, why lose more weight?
  • princeofmind
    princeofmind Posts: 95 Member
    Options

Numbers don't mean everything.
    I'm sure they can tell when they look in the mirror if they have fat to lose.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

well yeah theres that too
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

Numbers don't mean everything.
    I'm sure they can tell when they look in the mirror if they have fat to lose.

it does when you arent eating enough calories and trying to lose weight at what is a healthy weight. if they have fat to lose they can do a recomp. yeah it takes time but its better than dieting down and maybe becoming underweight