Is it possible to lose 50lbs by October?

Options
Let me first say when I first graduated high school I managed to loose over 100lbs and had a very active job. After that I moved to Tennessee and got a desk job. Well since then I have gained so much weight back. Weight has always been a struggle. More now than any. I'm going back home in OctOber to visit after being down here for 3 years. Is there any way possible to at least loose 50lbs by Oct?

Replies

• Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Possible. If you are obese enough, and severely limit your calories, while excercising alot. Probably not super healthy though, and you'll likely feel like crap while doing it.
  • mirandaworkout
    mirandaworkout Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Depends on how much weight you have to lose
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Only if you want to destroy your health, your body, etc.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,990 Member
    Options
    How much do you weigh now?

16-17# per month over 3 months to lose 50# is a very extreme weight loss goal. Most people only target losing 1-2# per month. I lost 39# over 5 months at that rate but I only weighed 196 to start.

I'd say that it would be unlikely for most people to lose 50# in just 3 months but it might be possible.

It just depends on what your starting weight is (the higher it is the more likely it would be to achieve your goal) and how diligent you are in controlling your diet and exercising to reduce/burn cals/fat and increase your strength and fitness over the next 3 months.

Good luck!
  • cass0314
    cass0314 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    To lose 50lbs of fat in 90 days, you'd have to end each day at roughly a 1,945 calorie deficit...which means if you eat enough to feel satiated and not pass out, you'd then have to burn a *kitten* ton of calories every day to get to that kind of deficit. This isn't to say that you won't drop several pounds of water weight plus a fair amount of fat and get close to reaching that goal, but to lose the weight in a safe and sustainable way, it's best to set that 50lb goal for a bit further out than October.
  • 150poundsofme
    150poundsofme Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I am hoping to lose 50 lbs by end of year, 26 weeks -2 lbs a week. Even that is hard to do. Try not to stress to much.
  • DresdenSinn
    DresdenSinn Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Highly unlikely, you'd have to lose 4lbs/wk consistently each and every week by the beginning of October. It might be possible if you were morbidly obese.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Probably not but if you lost 30 would anyone know?
  • fatvegan88
    fatvegan88 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Not without suffering a lot. Just keep going and the scale doesn't even matter.
  • ThermalYew1
    ThermalYew1 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm just in a hurry to get to the point I was before I got my desk job. I feel so much like a failure since I gained my weight back again! :(
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    4 lb a week is possible, but it is extremely risky and should only be done if there is an acute risk to your health. This needs a doctor to order it and supervise it.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm just in a hurry to get to the point I was before I got my desk job. I feel so much like a failure since I gained my weight back again! :(

Concentrate on developing new habits that work with your new job. The weight will come off and it will be better for long term if it comes off slowly.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    50 by October is way too much but 25-30 should be very achievable. Targeting a deficit of ~1000 calories per day should put you down about 25 pounds by the end of September if you start today and then you should lose quite a bit of water weight on top of that if you add in an exercise routine (maybe 5-10 more pounds).

Trust me, even 'only' 30 pounds would be a massive. I'm down about 20 from when I started 7 weeks ago and I can already see a drastic difference in how I feel and look.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options

One of the reasons that you may have gained back the weight is that you took too drastic an action to lose it in the first place. It likely wasn't sustainable. Much better to lost the weight in a way that will keep it off for the long-term.

Like you, I was often worried about the weight I had put on when seeing people I hadn't seen in a while. I'd say that 8 out of 10 times the other person/people had put on weight as well and that we were all in the same boat and that the other 2 times they didn't care at all! It happens to everybody. Don't sweat it, do your best to lose what you can but do it for yourself only.

People who judge you by your weight don't really care about you. If impressing them is the only reason you want to lose weight, then you'd be just as well served by buying/renting a nice watch or car for the visit instead.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    I doubt it. Even being obese that's an ambitious goal and to be honest, if you're obese now going from got-you-obese calories to poverty calories would be intolerable for months on end. I would start with an agressive deficit of 750 if you plan to be a little more active so you can still have a decent amount of calories/meet nutritional needs. What are your stats?