Options
2»

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    grmrsan wrote: »
    Shana67 wrote: »
    Your story worries the nurse in me. The fact that stepping wrong off a single step has caused you to break bones twice in less than a year raises several warning flags.

I strongly encourage you to discuss your two breaks with your doctor. Your bone density may be low and you may or may not have micronutrient deficiencies which need to be assessed and addressed.

What is your calorie deficit? How long have you been at a deficit? How much weight have you lost? Do you get enough calcium and vitamin D? Have you discussed your two breaks with your physician?

Finally, I don't know why this isn't mentioned to people who are having injuries cared for, but it is strongly recommended that people with traumatic injuries (like your break) or surgical injuries eat at maintenance calories or even a tiny bit more. Your body needs those extra calories to repair your injury and to ensure that all the bone and soft tissue damage will heal as strong or stronger than they were before your injury. Healing and preventing long term pain or damage is of extreme importance. Losing a goal weight by increasing your calorie deficit further can potentially be very detrimental to the healing process.

Hi there - you make some excellent points about bone density and diet, and I promise to seriously consider them. However, I had my annual exam last month and have no deficiencies in calcium or bone density, period. I see an excellent orthopedic surgeon (he is the Team Doc for our lovely Denver Broncos :) ), so yes - when I see him tomorrow this will be discussed. Actually - I don't know *for sure* that this is a break until it's X-Rayed. It's just that it hurts the same/worse than the last time - so I am making an assumption. Hopefully I will be wrong :)

I've lost 40 pounds, and would like to lose 20 more. The 9 I would like to drop prior to vacation are simply because I know that I will gain 9lbs on vacation. Which is typical for me. ;)

Could you be sitting around typing on the internet if you had a broken foot? I've never broken anything, but wouldn't you be in excruciating mind numbing pain and off to the ER in record time if you actually did break it?

Maybe I'm just a wuss, and it is not as painful as I imagine it would be.

ETA: I'm picturing your foot just hanging off of your ankle swinging around in the wind lol :confounded:

Lol, I'm assuming she has been to the Dr, and gotten it braced and supported, and is on an antiinflammatory painkiller like ibuprofen. Often, even when a break is suspected they don't xray immediately, unless it is pretty obvious. Apparently the swelling has to go down enough to get a clear picture, and set it properly. This generally takes a couple days. In the meantime they put it in a temporary immobilizing splint, that can be loose ed or tightened depending on amount of swelling, for support without cutting off circulation.
    Your story worries the nurse in me. The fact that stepping wrong off a single step has caused you to break bones twice in less than a year raises several warning flags.

I strongly encourage you to discuss your two breaks with your doctor. Your bone density may be low and you may or may not have micronutrient deficiencies which need to be assessed and addressed.

What is your calorie deficit? How long have you been at a deficit? How much weight have you lost? Do you get enough calcium and vitamin D? Have you discussed your two breaks with your physician?

Finally, I don't know why this isn't mentioned to people who are having injuries cared for, but it is strongly recommended that people with traumatic injuries (like your break) or surgical injuries eat at maintenance calories or even a tiny bit more. Your body needs those extra calories to repair your injury and to ensure that all the bone and soft tissue damage will heal as strong or stronger than they were before your injury. Healing and preventing long term pain or damage is of extreme importance. Losing a goal weight by increasing your calorie deficit further can potentially be very detrimental to the healing process.

Hi there - you make some excellent points about bone density and diet, and I promise to seriously consider them. However, I had my annual exam last month and have no deficiencies in calcium or bone density, period. I see an excellent orthopedic surgeon (he is the Team Doc for our lovely Denver Broncos :) ), so yes - when I see him tomorrow this will be discussed. Actually - I don't know *for sure* that this is a break until it's X-Rayed. It's just that it hurts the same/worse than the last time - so I am making an assumption. Hopefully I will be wrong :)

I've lost 40 pounds, and would like to lose 20 more. The 9 I would like to drop prior to vacation are simply because I know that I will gain 9lbs on vacation. Which is typical for me. ;)

Could you be sitting around typing on the internet if you had a broken foot? I've never broken anything, but wouldn't you be in excruciating mind numbing pain and off to the ER in record time if you actually did break it?

ETA: I'm picturing your foot just hanging off of your ankle swinging around in the wind lol :confounded:

I had a friend wander about with a broken foot for a few days. It's a smallish bone, though a pretty essential one. But it can easily be mistaken for a sprain.

Apparently me leaping onto my ankle and ripping all the soft tissue up was worse than a break and all I got was soft bandaging!

So you'll be sporting a stylish moon boot OP? I had another friend do this last year and another one at dance school. Seems I know a lot of clumsy people. The one last year is a PT and it was around the time of that push up challenge. She did it one legged like a boss.

Phew, i feel better now :lol:
  • Shana67
    Shana67 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Aaaahh..... I have my full boot from the last time that it was broken, so it is well supported. And I think it's the 5th metatarsal (again) and while it does HURT, it's not excruciating - it's just painful. I'm taking 3 naproxen daily, and hope like crazy that my orthopedist is open tomorrow (the day before the 4th of July here in the States is iffy) for a painkiller or two. And at that time they will do an Xray and tell me that it is or it is not broken.

Also, since it's the metatarsal (side of the foot), and not my ankle, it's not dangling in the breeze or anything. LOL
  • HippySkoppy
    HippySkoppy Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain OP.

Broke the 5th metatarsal on my left foot over 4 weeks ago. I also didn't believe I had damaged myself enough to have a break and hobbled on it for 2 1/2 days before getting it X-rayed and a back slab put on to stabilise it.

Currently battling with the boot and crutches (so sick of it). The fall I had did a lot of soft tissue damage as well and I have osteoporosis (Lupus) plus am on meds that retard the ability to heal a fracture.

I wish you well and swift healing. I stumbled 12 days after initial injury and the break is now 2 mm further apart and no healing has occurred....not sure what the future holds for me.
  • sunfastrose
    sunfastrose Posts: 543 Member
    Options

My mom fell walking the dog last winter; she landed hard on the front of her leg. Kept resisting when her knee would be swollen and I would tell her to go to the doctor. She finally went a month after the fall, to find out yes - she had a break in the bone right below the knee. She had been walking on it and taking Tylenol and Advil alternately.
  • Sandcastles61
    Sandcastles61 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Aaaahh..... I have my full boot from the last time that it was broken, so it is well supported. And I think it's the 5th metatarsal (again) and while it does HURT, it's not excruciating - it's just painful. I'm taking 3 naproxen daily, and hope like crazy that my orthopedist is open tomorrow (the day before the 4th of July here in the States is iffy) for a painkiller or two. And at that time they will do an Xray and tell me that it is or it is not broken.

Also, since it's the metatarsal (side of the foot), and not my ankle, it's not dangling in the breeze or anything. LOL

Just a note given that I am rehabbing from a dislocated shoulder, 3 fractures in my arm and total collapse of my thumb joint from a fall 2 1/2 months ago ..... but my ortho surgeon expressly told me no naproxen because it actually slows the healing of the bone fractures!!! You might want to ask your ortho what is best for you to take so you can heal as quickly as possible and enjoy that wonderful vacation :smile:
  • Shana67
    Options

Just a note given that I am rehabbing from a dislocated shoulder, 3 fractures in my arm and total collapse of my thumb joint from a fall 2 1/2 months ago ..... but my ortho surgeon expressly told me no naproxen because it actually slows the healing of the bone fractures!!! You might want to ask your ortho what is best for you to take so you can heal as quickly as possible and enjoy that wonderful vacation :smile:

Oh!! Thank you for the tip - I had no idea. I will ask him when I see him on Thursday. I had no idea :)

• nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Another footwear suggestion from a repeat foot breaker. Vionics flip flops are the bomb. Tide style is my fave. Comfortable right out of the box and super supportive. They're even kind of cute.
  • Shana67
    Options
    nowine4me wrote: »
    Another footwear suggestion from a repeat foot breaker. Vionics flip flops are the bomb. Tide style is my fave. Comfortable right out of the box and super supportive. They're even kind of cute.

Just checked them out - they look great. Thanks for the tip!