12 week transformation... is it possible?

Options
2»

Replies

• cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    cnbbnc wrote: »
    In short no - 3 years is much more realistic. Year 1 lose the blubber. Year 2 get down to a healthy weight. Year 3 sculpt a body you'll be proud to show off naked. All that may sound harsh but did you put on the extra pounds in 12 weeks? I'm guessing not, so the reversal is also true. Good luck with your efforts but think long term and you'll stand a good chance of being successful. That's my 2 cents and personal experience. #GodIWish12weeksWasPossible B)B)B)

First off....blubber?????
    Second....it isn't going to take two years to drop 30lbs.
    Third....it will only take one year to sculpt a perfect body??? #Goditwouldbeniceifitwerethatsimple

it can take two years to lose 30 lbs. It took me more than that to lose 45 lbs. and havent lost much more since, in the last 2 years. it all depends on the person. I have health issues and that may be part of the reason why. it takes me months to even see a lb weight loss no matter what I do aside from starving myself. but the person you quoted was saying take a year to lose the "blubber" and then they are saying the second year get to a healthy weight and so on.

Op mentioned nothing about health issues so my comment was based off a healthy person. Sure it could take 2yrs for a healthy individual...if they choose an extremely minor deficit OR they continually derail themselves. Other than that I still stand by my reply.

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    In short no - 3 years is much more realistic. Year 1 lose the blubber. Year 2 get down to a healthy weight. Year 3 sculpt a body you'll be proud to show off naked. All that may sound harsh but did you put on the extra pounds in 12 weeks? I'm guessing not, so the reversal is also true. Good luck with your efforts but think long term and you'll stand a good chance of being successful. That's my 2 cents and personal experience. #GodIWish12weeksWasPossible B)B)B)

Third....it will only take one year to sculpt a perfect body??? #Goditwouldbeniceifitwerethatsimple

it can take two years to lose 30 lbs. It took me more than that to lose 45 lbs. and havent lost much more since, in the last 2 years. it all depends on the person. I have health issues and that may be part of the reason why. it takes me months to even see a lb weight loss no matter what I do aside from starving myself. but the person you quoted was saying take a year to lose the "blubber" and then they are saying the second year get to a healthy weight and so on.

Op mentioned nothing about health issues so my comment was based off a healthy person. Sure it could take 2yrs for a healthy individual...if they choose an extremely minor deficit OR they continually derail themselves. Other than that I still stand by my reply.

thats not always the case even for a healthy individual it can take 2 yrs. doesnt mean they are derailing themselves or a very small deficit.will it in most people take that long? probably not. but it can also depend on a lot of outliers the person may have.
  • Rammer123
    Rammer123 Posts: 679 Member
    Options

thats not always the case even for a healthy individual it can take 2 yrs. doesnt mean they are derailing themselves or a very small deficit.will it in most people take that long? probably not. but it can also depend on a lot of outliers the person may have.

What would take someone who was following a good healthy weight loss diet with no health issues more than 30 weeks to lose 30 pounds? A year? That's a little ridiculous.
  • amysteri
    amysteri Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I think it's possible. Do it safely - don't starve or anything like that.
  • dalerst
    dalerst Posts: 174 Member
    Options

What would take someone who was following a good healthy weight loss diet with no health issues more than 30 weeks to lose 30 pounds? A year? That's a little ridiculous.

I've lost 38lb in 6 months but also lost some muscle mass to go with it, so if I had to do it again I would take longer and also start lifting from the beginning to keep as much muscle mass as possible
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    dalerst wrote: »

I've lost 38lb in 6 months but also lost some muscle mass to go with it, so if I had to do it again I would take longer and also start lifting from the beginning to keep as much muscle mass as possible

Yeah, it sucks cutting - I wish you could just end a bulk, stop eating and remove all that fat in 3 months without paying a penalty in muscle loss. But for most of us, it's a much longer process. I've seen too many people try to get that ripped look too quickly and lose all the progress they made during their bulk. This is especially true of folks running extremely short bulk/cut cycles. Lot of wheel spinning going on.

These "success" stories I'm seeing pop up a lot in MFP are either guys who have a LOT of muscle and can afford to lose a chunk of it on a drastic quick cut and still look pretty good or guys leaking over from the Meso-RX steroid forums trolling, having used Tren or the current rage - DNP.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options

it may be ridiculous but it can happen for some. stress and not enough sleep can cause a person to not lose weight.while weight loss is all about CICO there could be many reasons that can cause the weight to come off super slowly.some people lose weight quickly or at a decent pace, others it takes awhile or a very slow pace.

while yes mine is a health issue,I have a metabolic disorder, but I should still be losing weight(because CICO) I weigh everything, even the times I lowered the calories lower than what my BMR supposedly is, still took months to lose 1 lb. I even at times net less than 1000 calories and still the scale doesnt move. I dont have a thyroid issue either. when I first lost weight I was eating more now than I did and was less active. now Im more active and eating less than I was and its been several months since I lost anything. I even cut down on a lot of refined/added sugars and nothing. even with my health issues its stated that CICO should still work and I should be losing .05lb a week. Im not even losing 0.1 a week.

I added up my calories and net calories and exercise and from what I gather I should be on average losing more than 0.5lb per week because with exercise my deficit is larger than 250 calories per day. sometimes its double or triple that. all my health markers came back normal too cholesterol is fine,hormones are fine, thyroid is fine, no diabetes or prediabetes,no insulin resistance no high blood pressure,etc.

so even for those with health issues CICO is whats supposed to matter,thats not always the case so it could be the same with those without health issues. anything can happen.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    To be fair, the time required to lose 30 lbs will also depend on which 30 lbs it is. If someone is obese and just wants to lose 30 lbs to get to a close to healthy weight, sure they should be able to keep up a pace of around 1 lb per week. But if someone is just a little overweight and wants to lose 30 lbs to get to the lean end of the healthy weight range, it would be very difficult to keep up a 1 lb per week pace, especially for the last 10-15 lbs where they are really losing vanity weight. That person could easily take 45-50 weeks to lose the whole 30 lbs. Many folks who aren't tall find that they don't have room to carry a deficit of more than 250 cals as they approach a lean goal weight.

As OP specifically said he wants to lose 30 pounds to get "quite lean and strong" I think it's fair to say it may take him a year (or more). He can get skinny in 30 weeks for sure, but quite lean and strong may take longer.
  • Rammer123
    Rammer123 Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    To be fair, the time required to lose 30 lbs will also depend on which 30 lbs it is. If someone is obese and just wants to lose 30 lbs to get to a close to healthy weight, sure they should be able to keep up a pace of around 1 lb per week. But if someone is just a little overweight and wants to lose 30 lbs to get to the lean end of the healthy weight range, it would be very difficult to keep up a 1 lb per week pace, especially for the last 10-15 lbs where they are really losing vanity weight. That person could easily take 45-50 weeks to lose the whole 30 lbs. Many folks who aren't tall find that they don't have room to carry a deficit of more than 250 cals as they approach a lean goal weight.

As OP specifically said he wants to lose 30 pounds to get "quite lean and strong" I think it's fair to say it may take him a year (or more). He can get skinny in 30 weeks for sure, but quite lean and strong may take longer.

He also said he was 30lbs overweight, which to me seems to imply he is 30 pounds over the high end of his ideal weight. Which he would very easily be able to lose 1lb per week with a consistent deficit.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

He also said he was 30lbs overweight, which to me seems to imply he is 30 pounds over the high end of his ideal weight. Which he would very easily be able to lose 1lb per week with a consistent deficit.

That's true! But if we are going to take what he said literally, he is incorrect about either his starting point or his goal.

If he is 30 lbs over the high end of his ideal weight, losing the 30 lbs is not going to make him "quite lean". So either he said 30 lbs overweight as "30 lbs over the weight I want to be" or he doesn't really mean "quite lean".

When I got up to 145, which is the top of the healthy weight range for my height, I would say that I was 15 lbs overweight because I was 15 lbs over the weight I felt was ideal for me, but I was technically not overweight at all.

But regardless he's not going to lose 30 lbs in the 12 weeks he originally wanted, so the rest is just nitpicking anyway :)
  • VixenArgentum
    VixenArgentum Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    My gym does 12 week transformation competitions under the guidance of a personal trainer.

They put photos up of the people that do them...and they are so inspiring. Everyone looks so great.

So yes, you can definitely transform yourself in 12 weeks. You might not be at your goal...but I mean doing something is better than nothing. Just by getting up, you're lapping everyone on the couch.

So just go into it with an open mind. The point is to be healthy, is it not?
  • VeggieBarbells
    VeggieBarbells Posts: 175 Member
    Options

Oh you silly sausage, overall it can take 3 years to get what you want #HappyDays :)
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    You don't go from 30 lb overweight to lean and mean in 12 weeks. He can lose 1 lb per week for 10 weeks or so, then will probably need to drop to .5. People seem to forget or be unaware of how slow the last 10-20 lbs usually is, if following healthy guidelines.