Beautiful Behaviors - July 2017

Options
This thread will be for people who are focusing on creating a set of gorgeous habits that support a healthy lifestyle.

Weight loss is a byproduct, and not the focus. We will practice self-care by eating healthy foods, moving our bodies, drinking enough water, and other activities that make us FEEL GOOD without harmful effects.

For example, taking an hour with your current book on your favorite lounge chair is a great way to take care of yourself. Get a massage or facial, spend time with a friend, crafting… all good ways to make us feel good without the harmful effects of immediate gratification activities like overeating or indulging in other unhealthy activities. It’s all about taking care of ourselves and loving ourselves and making ourselves happy EVEN IF we are not at a weight we love right now.

Yes, we want to lose weight, but there’s more to life than that. Sometimes giving yourself a foot massage will keep you from the donut. Sometimes it won’t but you will still feel better.

This is a judgment free zone. Let’s support each other and leave the negativity offline. I’m tired of beating myself up about my size. I want to plan to do the best I can and not feel guilty about life getting in the way.

I’m a big believer in baby steps, and setting realistic goals, and celebrating every little success! No reason we can’t enjoy the journey to a healthier lifestyle, no reason we have to feel “wrong” because we are where we are.

If you like the way this sounds, please introduce yourself in this thread. Share whatever you like and come back often! I look forward to meeting people with similar attitudes towards life.

Replies

• aleahurst
    aleahurst Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    @finngirl61 - posts here have a way of disappearing before you post them :(
    Especially if you are on a mobile device using the MFP app! Going straight to the internet page is a little more reliable, but not as user friendly. I hope you have a wonderful weekend!

@katadx - that sounds good. I also allow myself some kinds of recreational foods. You know, foods that you eat because, darn it, you like it! If your core intention is to be mindful and self caring, you will be self caring about ice cream portions. The more mindful you are, the more slowly you eat. The more slowly you eat, the more you actually taste the stuff that you enjoy! It's a win! I think I'm preaching to me here.

New self care habit, hmmm....

Eat all foods more slowly, so that I can better discern smells and tastes! I am going to spend July tasting what I eat, not just scarfing it down. My Aunt Lora used to sniff all foods before she ate. The family thought it was an old habit developed during the great depression years. What if she just wanted to enjoy the smell?

@jessiquoi - thank you for our new thread!

Love to all.

Lea
  • aleahurst
    aleahurst Posts: 325 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Okay. I stopped to smell and enjoy my food last night. I'm surprised. I like the taste of steak. I don't like grilled broccoli. I love grilled mushrooms. I thought I would hate the smell of steak and love the taste of broccoli! I'm the autistic family member who, when going to a restaurant, shuts up and cleans her plate, by golly. It was not so last night. I'm surprised! I will do this again.

Oh my @rheddmobile , the smell of peaches is so sweet and earthy! Yum! Good for you in requesting some diabetic friendly foods for the holiday. You can stand up straight, pick the good foods, let your curves show, and tell your family to just watch you taking good care of your body!

Deep breath. I will do some food prep in order to pre-measure my portions throughout July. Then I will stand up straight, flutter my southern eyelashes, let my curves show, smile as though I am the keeper of a secret, and accurately record my foods.

@finngirl61 - stress eating is rough. I will read your posts when you want to write down your feelings.

Love to all.

Lea
  • finngirl61
    finngirl61 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Happy 4th of July to all of you!! Enjoy the day, take care of yourself, and make good (not perfect) choices. Thanks to @rheddmobile and @aleahurst for your encouragement. ☺❤
  • rencawdor24
    rencawdor24 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    This thread speaks right to me! Thank you for creating this thread. I am just starting up my weighloss again and love the idea of looking after ourselves with weighloss being a by product.
    My key this week & weekend is to try pre-plan my food and start up exercise in a few days.
  • str8bowbabe
    str8bowbabe Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies,

Sorry I have been MIA. I had a very busy extended weekend. I did over eat but I stayed very active with volleyball with the family. Now to get back on track. Meal prepped again last night. Second week in a row and I feel it helps a lot. Added more protein to my diet too.

I was out for 4 days from work...the place fell apart(as always). Now its so frustrating to try to "fix" everything that got either screwed up or didn't get done. Had to walk away from my desk and ran to the store to get a payday and a dt dew. Not a good combo by any means but I feel better now so back to work. Keep on keepin' on ladies. I will be back later to chat and read all your posts.
  • NRTL
    NRTL Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone, like @gillykh I'm new to this, but I so love the sound of it! For me, journalling and meditation are hugely effective self care practices that have a habit of falling by the wayside, looking forward to joining you in a recommitment to these daily rituals and thanks for starting this thread!
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    @sosteach on the bright side, it didn't budge in the other direction either! It's probably just a temporary stall due to some water weight or something! You have an amazing outlook on why you're doing this too! It's all about the big picture.
    @str8bowbabe protein always does the trick for me to help keep cravings at bay.
    @nickiphillips1 I'm sure your son was so glad for your support! Going off to college is intimidating and orientations help especially with family there. Congrats on the lb!
    @gillykh Welcome to the thread! Balancing time is so important I'm glad you're feeling at peace. I'm just adding a second job for two shifts a week and am quite nervous, but it's summer so I have some time until I go back to college in the fall.
    @NRTL Hi!!
    @happysherri that sounds amazing!! Hopefully the rain holds off.

I've been enjoying my nightly ice cream being fit into my calories. I'm not so afraid of it anymore! Work has been crazy this week and I haven't been able to eat lunch until 3 or 4 some days. My manager tends to assume I'm okay waiting to eat because I sometimes wait till 2 if i'm done at 2, but 3 or 4 is ridiculous and makes it hard to eat enough before I go to bed. Once my new job starts I need to talk to my manager and make sure I get appropriate time to eat so I have energy to go from here to there. I'm concerned about being too tired- but I think i've just been having a hard time due to the late lunch. I'm going to try being better at packing quick snacks to take with me, and maybe upping my breakfast calories.

Does anyone have advice for working two jobs? (going from one shift in the day to a shift from afternoon-night at another with no break?) I'm starting to drink black tea for the energy but I can't think of any other ideas.
  • gillykh
    gillykh Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    @katadx , I do have a lot of experience working more than one job and trying to keep my calories in check...not always successfully.
  • gillykh
    gillykh Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I just posted a rather long reply...but of course most of it vanished into thin air. Ugh. Anyway, the net/net was that I rely on prelogging for the day and things I can eat piecemeal...boiled eggs, crackers, string cheese, bits of chicken. Protein and the ability to eat 2 peanut butter crackers and then go work for an hour help keep me satiated. What type of work do you do?