1 month of heavy barbell lifting

Options
Okiludy
Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
edited July 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
Wanted to share my lifts from first month of barbell training. Really happy with my progress but feel I am still way light on squat but taking it slow. Like today I did 150 for 6 but could have likely hit 10 or more reps. Legs and glutes no tightness after.

I also changed my program to a more powerlifting centered one. Still a new lifter program just focuses on competition lifts. Was doing Starting Strength but wanted to take advantage of my new lifter gains on program that matched my goals.

Lifts:
Bench 5x5 45lbs on 6/5/17 , 3x4 135lbs on 7/5/17
Squat 5x5 45lbs on 6/5/17, 2x6 150lbs on 7/5/17
Deadlift 1x5 65lbs on 6/9/17, 1x6 265lbs on 7/5/17

I also did a 1RM last week on deads and hit 305. I am sure I could pull 310 now with a few tweaks to form. I round my shoulders a bit very early on lift but nice and flat before it gets 1/4 of way up. Working on dropping hips down more but a mobility thing.

Goal is to hit 750 combined from the 3 lifts. Hoping to hit it this fall. Oh and also keep losing around 1lbs a week. Weight loss is important to me but no more than getting that 750.

Bench is my worst by far and getting 4 reps at 135 was a challenge. It will take the most work but hell nothing good is free.

Replies

• Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    wow, that's a lot in a month! are you male or female??
  • Dazzler21
    Dazzler21 Posts: 1,249 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Okiludy wrote: »
    Wanted to share my lifts from first month of barbell training. Really happy with my progress but feel I am still way light on squat but taking it slow. Like today I did 150 for 6 but could have likely hit 10 or more reps. Legs and glutes no tightness after.

I also changed my program to a more powerlifting centered one. Still a new lifter program just focuses on competition lifts. Was doing Starting Strength but wanted to take advantage of my new lifter gains on program that matched my goals.

Lifts:

I also did a 1RM last week on deads and hit 305. I am sure I could pull 310 now with a few tweaks to form. I round my shoulders a bit very early on lift but nice and flat before it gets 1/4 of way up. Working on dropping hips down more but a mobility thing.

Goal is to hit 750 combined from the 3 lifts. Hoping to hit it this fall. Oh and also keep losing around 1lbs a week. Weight loss is important to me but no more than getting that 750.

Bench is my worst by far and getting 4 reps at 135 was a challenge. It will take the most work but hell nothing good is free.

Genuine questions:

1. Why did you move on so quickly from 5x5 to whatever your new plan is?
    2. Did you use the proper 5x5app to start with?
    3. What is your actual goal? You seem lost somewhere between lifting heavy and losing weight. You may find that selecting a nutrition and exercise programme for one or the other suits you better as at the moment your goals contradict one another.

p.s those new weights are still fantastic, but not relevant at all to your 5x5 starting point.

You nshould stick to a program for 9-12 weeks at a minimum.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Good work OP!
  • DevilsFan1
    DevilsFan1 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    What the hell? You've never lifted before and you're hitting these numbers in a month? I feel like a weakling now. Anyway, great progress!
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    And THAT is why I recommend a sets-of-five linear progression to every new lifter. It's so efficient and you can get strong as hell VERY fast without injury or over-extending yourself into exhaustion. Great job @OP
  • DevilsFan1
    DevilsFan1 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Dazzler21 wrote: »

Lifts:

Genuine questions:

3. What is your actual goal? You seem lost somewhere between lifting heavy and losing weight. You may find that selecting a nutrition and exercise programme for one or the other suits you better as at the moment your goals contradict one another.

p.s those new weights are still fantastic, but not relevant at all to your 5x5 starting point.

SL 5x5 is a fine program for beginners, but given OP's current lifts it's clear he/she is better off moving to something better. There's no need to fiddle around with light weights if they're too easy.
  • Dazzler21
    Dazzler21 Posts: 1,249 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    DevilsFan1 wrote: »

Lifts:

Genuine questions:

SL 5x5 is a fine program for beginners, but given OP's current lifts it's clear he/she is better off moving to something better. There's no need to fiddle around with light weights if they're too easy.

If the OP is a male (as I have assumed) I would have to disagree that they need more than SL 5x5, that plan will be beneficial to their mixed goal of fat loss as well as strength gain. But that is my opinion and my questions were for the OP not you.

One of my concerns for the OP is that they could be ego lifting or not lifting with proper form. It takes most months to master form and many have to re-check their form on each weight increase. Once again just an opinion on what I have seen.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    The dead lift makes me think it's most likely a man- the squat could go either way- but jumping up to almost 3 plates as a woman in a 30 day time period seems- unlikely for a woman. unfortunately.
  • shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    Options

Lifts:

Genuine questions:

The OP said it was Starting Strength and not SL but is doing 5x5 and not 3x5 has me confused. If the OP is doing SS then it looks like he or she didn't follow the program when selecting the starting weights and just used the bar to start.

The starting and ending numbers for squat and DL are roughly correct if following the 10lb/session increase for squats for 2 weeks then just 5lb/session. Same with deadlifts where it is 15-20/session followed by 10-15 and deadlifting every session instead of powerclean for the first 6 weeks or so.

I would keep the LP going and follow the program for a few more months before even thinking of a different program. 2x6 and 3x4 are not the same as 5x5 and make comparisons difficult at best. If the OP followed the program they should have hit 5x5 at roughly the same weights and would have a stronger lift.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    Keep up the good work Okiludy! you are off to a good start
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options

Lifts:

Genuine questions:

I have to absolutely disagree.

If the OP is a novice, there is no reason to put a halt to Starting Strength if his/her goal is strength and is not reached at least advanced novice.

Reminder the number one can lift does in no way equate if someone is a novice or not.
    The only thing is not being able to increase weight every session with good bar speed and proper form.

Also disagree SL is a fine program. Way too much volume than necessary for a novice.
  • Muscleflex79
    Options

Lifts:

Genuine questions:

If the OP is a male (as I have assumed) I would have to disagree that they need more than SL 5x5, that plan will be beneficial to their mixed goal of fat loss as well as strength gain. But that is my opinion and my questions were for the OP not you.

One of my concerns for the OP is that they could be ego lifting or not lifting with proper form. It takes most months to master form and many have to re-check their form on each weight increase. Once again just an opinion on what I have seen.

It is possible also that OP is an athletic guy who just got into lifting.

Squatting 150 pounds for 6-10 for an athletic guy is very easily achieved using any program.

Same with pulling 300lbs depending on OP body type.

If OP is a girl, then that's a lot in 1 month.

yeah, that's why I asked if male or female...I assumed female, but may be wrong...
  • ArvinSloane
    ArvinSloane Posts: 80 Member
    Options

Lifts:

Genuine questions:

Squatting 150 pounds for 6-10 for an athletic guy is very easily achieved using any program.

yeah, that's why I asked if male or female...I assumed female, but may be wrong...

Yeah, I would guess male just based on the fact that the OP is benching 135 for reps after a month.
  • Rammer123
    Rammer123 Posts: 679 Member
    Options

Lifts:

Genuine questions:

Yeah, I would guess male just based on the fact that the OP is benching 135 for reps after a month.

We should take a vote and find out if we are correct if OP ever comes back.

I say male.
  • Muscleflex79
    Options
    My initial thought was female since the numbers aren't as impressive if it's a big athletic guy, but now you guys have me convinced male...
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Male
  • Italiana_xx79
    Italiana_xx79 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I say male.. only because of the bench... or maybe I am just jealous because the bench is the hardest for me and I can't get over 80, lol! ;)
  • Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    @Dazzler21

1. Because I am training for specific lifts. In SL you have an emphasis on rows and press. Neither of which are competition lifts. No I don't want to compete but I do want to train like I do. After research I want to move to a program where my new lifter gains went into the lifts I would do in competition. Also deadlifting 1 out of 3 workouts not even close enough and the days doing presses (for Starting Strength) would be better used in my case doing bench every workout.
    These exercises are great and I would recommend them for overall strength but for powerlifting I want specificity.
    3. I used Strong app as I wanted something that works with all programs. Still use it ever workout.
    4. As I stated my goal is to hit 750 on deadlift/bench/squat total 1RM. From there I am likely going to move to 1000lbs. I love the idea of powerlifting more than bodybuilding. I hit 550 now so it feels right for now to want to add 250lbs goals in increment.

The program I am following now-
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvJK-jH2jjQ

Izzy is Starting Strength coach that lifts competitively and created a powerlifting specific novice program. The E-book is free if you want to read it.

@DevilsFan1 Yep a case of not learning enough. I did follow SS strictly after the 2nd workout. I found the book and website were much better than SL but that's a different story.

For others-
    Male 45, morbidly obese but almost obese. Lost 27lbs since april 1st. Slowed down weight loss to 1lbs per week once I started lifting. Have had ankle rebuilt and have had rehab on shoulder impingement. Did not workout in over 15years prior to this 1st month. That's when I blew out my ankle during a run.

Edit: LOL ya my avatar is a bit female isn't it. It also places my age as it's a dancing bear from the Grateful Dead.