Replies

• DevilsFan1
    DevilsFan1 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    shor0814 wrote: »
    DevilsFan1 wrote: »
    Dazzler21 wrote: »
    Okiludy wrote: »
    Wanted to share my lifts from first month of barbell training. Really happy with my progress but feel I am still way light on squat but taking it slow. Like today I did 150 for 6 but could have likely hit 10 or more reps. Legs and glutes no tightness after.

I also changed my program to a more powerlifting centered one. Still a new lifter program just focuses on competition lifts. Was doing Starting Strength but wanted to take advantage of my new lifter gains on program that matched my goals.

Lifts:
    Bench 5x5 45lbs on 6/5/17 , 3x4 135lbs on 7/5/17
    Squat 5x5 45lbs on 6/5/17, 2x6 150lbs on 7/5/17
    Deadlift 1x5 65lbs on 6/9/17, 1x6 265lbs on 7/5/17

I also did a 1RM last week on deads and hit 305. I am sure I could pull 310 now with a few tweaks to form. I round my shoulders a bit very early on lift but nice and flat before it gets 1/4 of way up. Working on dropping hips down more but a mobility thing.

Goal is to hit 750 combined from the 3 lifts. Hoping to hit it this fall. Oh and also keep losing around 1lbs a week. Weight loss is important to me but no more than getting that 750.

Bench is my worst by far and getting 4 reps at 135 was a challenge. It will take the most work but hell nothing good is free.

Genuine questions:

1. Why did you move on so quickly from 5x5 to whatever your new plan is?
    2. Did you use the proper 5x5app to start with?
    3. What is your actual goal? You seem lost somewhere between lifting heavy and losing weight. You may find that selecting a nutrition and exercise programme for one or the other suits you better as at the moment your goals contradict one another.

p.s those new weights are still fantastic, but not relevant at all to your 5x5 starting point.

You nshould stick to a program for 9-12 weeks at a minimum.

SL 5x5 is a fine program for beginners, but given OP's current lifts it's clear he/she is better off moving to something better. There's no need to fiddle around with light weights if they're too easy.

The OP said it was Starting Strength and not SL but is doing 5x5 and not 3x5 has me confused. If the OP is doing SS then it looks like he or she didn't follow the program when selecting the starting weights and just used the bar to start.

SS is one thing, but SL is another. SL doesn't really allow the lifter to jump up 50 pounds in weight unless they just make the decision to do so. It's geared at complete beginners. If OP wants to be a competitive powerlifter, SL is a bad program.

My point was not that linear programming is bad or doesn't work. It's that there are much better programs for someone who wants to get serious about powerlifting.

• Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    @DevilsFan Similar reason I moved away from SS. This is going to come out rough but I don't want to waste my recovery time on overhead press when I could use it to recover from benching.

Honestly they are both good to great programs but with my goals I felt I was missing out on training specifically for the sport I am really enjoying. Noob gains only happen once and while each of those programs would help me, they would not help as much as a program geared full on to powerlifting.
  • DevilsFan1
    Options
    @DevilsFan Similar reason I moved away from SS. This is going to come out rough but I don't want to waste my recovery time on overhead press when I could use it to recover from benching.

Honestly they are both good to great programs but with my goals I felt I was missing out on training specifically for the sport I am really enjoying. Noob gains only happen once and while each of those programs would help me, they would not help as much as a program geared full on to powerlifting.

SL is way too squat-focused. That's fine for beginners, but for someone who wants to compete, it is lacking big time in bench and deadlift. No competitive power lifter is only going to deadlift five reps a week.
  • Okiludy
    Options
    Quickly for those that dont want to watch or read the PTW program:

Monday -
    Squat 3-6 reps 2 sets
    Bench 3-6 reps 3 sets
    Deadlift 3-6 reps 1 set

Wednesday -
    Squat 3-6 reps 2 sets
    Bench 3-6 reps 3 sets
    Deadlift 3-6 reps 1 set

Friday -
    Squat 3-6 reps 2 sets
    Bench 3-6 reps 3 sets
    Deadlift 3-6 reps 1 set

Saturday -
    Assistance non-barbell exercies - 7min max reps (ie dumbell rows)
    Assistance non-barbell exercies - 7min max reps (ie crunches)
    Assistance non-barbell exercies - 7min max reps (ie pull-ups)
    HIIT for 7 sprints (any HIIT will work just max effort 7x)
    Mobility 5-10 min

The reps on previous workout determines next weight gain on workout. So 3 reps on any 1 set then 1lbs increase and 6 reps is a 10lbs increase.

This is really basic breakdown so if interested in learning more watch the vid.
  • hzl22
    hzl22 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Great job op!
    Question for all and any who'd like to answer I just started lifting myself thought I'd follow strong lifts but while I'm still on just the barbell and before I get to heavier weights I was wondering if switching to 3 sets of 10 be beneficial as oppose to 5 sets of 5?? I'm still learning proper form so I'm in no rush to increase weights (I even got some fractional weights so I can increase super slowly until I get form down) it's just not heavy enough yet for me to need a rest after just 5 reps and doing 5 sets seems mundane but don't feel secure enough to increase too much weight at a time so sets of 10 seems more challenging while still keeping the weight low. Goals are just to have a nice body and yes getting stronger is important too but how much I actually lift is not my main focus as long as just get stronger ... during my pregnancy got a bit of a hip issue so just trying to get stronger without getting hurt.. any thoughts ?female 5'5 163lbs. Trying to get down to 135 be stronger and look good still got a bit of mommy tummy going on and my babes is already 2 years old
  • shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    shor0814 wrote: »
    Dazzler21 wrote: »
    Wanted to share my lifts from first month of barbell training. Really happy with my progress but feel I am still way light on squat but taking it slow. Like today I did 150 for 6 but could have likely hit 10 or more reps. Legs and glutes no tightness after.

I also changed my program to a more powerlifting centered one. Still a new lifter program just focuses on competition lifts. Was doing Starting Strength but wanted to take advantage of my new lifter gains on program that matched my goals.

Lifts:

I also did a 1RM last week on deads and hit 305. I am sure I could pull 310 now with a few tweaks to form. I round my shoulders a bit very early on lift but nice and flat before it gets 1/4 of way up. Working on dropping hips down more but a mobility thing.

Goal is to hit 750 combined from the 3 lifts. Hoping to hit it this fall. Oh and also keep losing around 1lbs a week. Weight loss is important to me but no more than getting that 750.

Bench is my worst by far and getting 4 reps at 135 was a challenge. It will take the most work but hell nothing good is free.

Genuine questions:

1. Why did you move on so quickly from 5x5 to whatever your new plan is?
    2. Did you use the proper 5x5app to start with?
    3. What is your actual goal? You seem lost somewhere between lifting heavy and losing weight. You may find that selecting a nutrition and exercise programme for one or the other suits you better as at the moment your goals contradict one another.

p.s those new weights are still fantastic, but not relevant at all to your 5x5 starting point.

You nshould stick to a program for 9-12 weeks at a minimum.

SL 5x5 is a fine program for beginners, but given OP's current lifts it's clear he/she is better off moving to something better. There's no need to fiddle around with light weights if they're too easy.

The OP said it was Starting Strength and not SL but is doing 5x5 and not 3x5 has me confused. If the OP is doing SS then it looks like he or she didn't follow the program when selecting the starting weights and just used the bar to start.

SS is one thing, but SL is another. SL doesn't really allow the lifter to jump up 50 pounds in weight unless they just make the decision to do so. It's geared at complete beginners. If OP wants to be a competitive powerlifter, SL is a bad program.

My point was not that linear programming is bad or doesn't work. It's that there are much better programs for someone who wants to get serious about powerlifting.

Oh, I got your point and agree with programming for PL vs general strength. I just couldn't (and still can't) tell which program he was using, SS or SL. The text says SS but the sets and reps say SL.

• Okiludy
    edited July 2017
    Options
    LOL,

Once again I did SS for 1 month. The first 2 workouts I did not do it right but followed it 3x5, 3x5, and 1x5 pretty spot in after. I listed them like this for accuracy.

The reps listed last are from first workout of a powerlifting specific program developed by competing power lifter that is a Starting Strength coach. It uses many ideas from Starting Strength and Practical Programming for a more specific goal.

This is why the reps listed are not perfect to SS program. It covers a time frame for a guy who only had a slight knowledge of a program to a time when he wanted to train specifically to a sport.

I really did not expect for people to be so concerned over if SS or SL. I know them both fairly well after reading on them for a month. Still the first week of lifting there may might be confusion by some.
  • DevilsFan1
    Options
    I got it. The same things I said about SL apply to SS as well. It's a beginner program; it's not a program designed for a person who wants to compete as a powerlifter. Good luck!
  • Okiludy
    Options
    I got it. The same things I said about SL apply to SS as well. It's a beginner program; it's not a program designed for a person who wants to compete as a powerlifter. Good luck!

Thank you very much! Same goes to all other well wishers. It was a huge step to start losing the weight but finding a great gym and that I liked lifting really has made a change.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    hzl22 wrote: »
    Great job op!
    Question for all and any who'd like to answer I just started lifting myself thought I'd follow strong lifts but while I'm still on just the barbell and before I get to heavier weights I was wondering if switching to 3 sets of 10 be beneficial as oppose to 5 sets of 5?? I'm still learning proper form so I'm in no rush to increase weights (I even got some fractional weights so I can increase super slowly until I get form down) it's just not heavy enough yet for me to need a rest after just 5 reps and doing 5 sets seems mundane but don't feel secure enough to increase too much weight at a time so sets of 10 seems more challenging while still keeping the weight low. Goals are just to have a nice body and yes getting stronger is important too but how much I actually lift is not my main focus as long as just get stronger ... during my pregnancy got a bit of a hip issue so just trying to get stronger without getting hurt.. any thoughts ?female 5'5 163lbs. Trying to get down to 135 be stronger and look good still got a bit of mommy tummy going on and my babes is already 2 years old

You may want to start your own thread with your question. You will get better replies and won't get the discussion here sidetracked.

Have a look at the AllPro programme.
    It increases reps 8-12 before weight and has a heavy, medium, and light day each week.

It is the programme I use as I am more comfortable increasing reps over weight.

https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843

Cheers, h.

NB: I am only a recreational lifter.
  • hzl22
    hzl22 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    hzl22 wrote: »
    Great job op!

You may want to start your own thread with your question. You will get better replies and won't get the discussion here sidetracked.

Have a look at the AllPro programme.
    It increases reps 8-12 before weight and has a heavy, medium, and light day each week.

It is the programme I use as I am more comfortable increasing reps over weight.

https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843

Cheers, h.

NB: I am only a recreational lifter.

Thank you for your response.. I will check it out!
  • richardpkennedy1
    richardpkennedy1 Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Great progress. What height and weight are you?
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    AgentFlex wrote: »
    I read this and thought "please be male, please be male!!!!" It took me literally 3 years to go from low bench numbers to being able to rep 135.

lmao I KNOW! I started getting mad. Like..you better be male.

Also you shut up too. I'll never bench 135! (love you)
  • DevilsFan1
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »

Lifts:

I absolutely call BS on all of this. No way, no how, unless a super human being.

I'd say it's unremarkable.

For a Male, under 30 who's over 230 starting weight. with limited lifting experience.

Yes. OP said he was morbidly obese to start. A 280 lb guy has a lot of muscle hidden under a lot of fat. He started at those weights, realized they were far to low and rapidly jumped to more reasonable weights for his size.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options

Lifts:

I absolutely call BS on all of this. No way, no how, unless a super human being.

You would be wrong. Behold the graph on the left. That's my squat rebuild after major surgery.

HowProgressionsWork.png

I have no doubt an utterly uninjured trainee can make fantastical progress in a very short time.
  • Rammer123
    Rammer123 Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    CipherZero wrote: »

Lifts:

You would be wrong. Behold the graph on the left. That's my squat rebuild after major surgery.

HowProgressionsWork.png

I have no doubt an utterly uninjured trainee can make fantastical progress in a very short time.

What's the one on the right? Are you testing your one rep max 10 times in 1 month? That's a little absurd..... And each session seems to increase and decrease the same amount? Sounds like that was just apart of your program and the top and bottom half of your 1rm are both on a very linear progression.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options

Lifts:

Humans ARE super human. We have brand new men come into our gym and can barely lift the bar and after a couple hours of coaching form and technique and warming up, they can lift these weights. The OP's numbers are easy for an average healthy adult male.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    CipherZero wrote: »

image removed because why keep taking up the space?

What's the one on the right? Are you testing your one rep max 10 times in 1 month? That's a little absurd..... And each session seems to increase and decrease the same amount? Sounds like that was just apart of your program and the top and bottom half of your 1rm are both on a very linear progression.

Both graphs are showing an estimated 1RM based on the weight and reps performed. Yes, I'm aware this is imperfect, but it's how the graphs are made by the Jefit site.

The left graph is my squat progress on a straight linear progression (LP) program and estimated 1RMs based on the sets of five.

Once I wasn't able to add weight to the bar every session - the marker for the end of an LP program - I shifted to a squat-twice-a-week split of a volume day of 85% 5RM for four sets of six reps, and an intensity day of one set of five with another five pounds on the bar from the previous week. Hence the sawtooth appearance.

The next volume day is calculated from the new 5RM on intensity day to continue driving the strength adaptation upward.
  • curlsintherack
    curlsintherack Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Op's numbers mimick that of mine after the first few months. I stayed with the stronglifts program and fallowed it to the letter up until I hurt my back doing deadlifts that I was strong enough to do but not skilled enough to preform correctly. After that it took months to get my form correct.

OP you only get newbie gains once in your lifting carear. I would put in the time and effort in either stronglifts or starting strength run the progression to its max then move onto a more powerlifting focused program. The mere fact that you feel your energy is being wasted on lifts like the overhead press suggests that you don't yet understand things fully.